how to help ease muscle pain after workout

Options
hey guys, ive been working out, eating right for over a month now. and after a hard workout, my legs in particular, tend to stay really really sore afterwards. like even 2 days after a workout. and i drink protein shakes, eat bananas, etc. everything that i thought helped with this, but nothing seems to help. and during the workout, i didnt feel like i over did anything, i felt great, but just the next day or two is usually awful! like it hurts to go from a standing to sitting position, and vice versa. :( any suggestions?

Replies

• runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    lots of stretching, hot baths, and then advil and biofreeze when it is really bad! but, you definitely have to stretch!
  • icelander83
    Options
    are you stretching properly after work out? If the pain is in the muscles then lack of stretching is the most likely cause in my experience.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Always remember to warm up and cool down before and after any exercise, lots of stretches :smile:

Hope you are soon recovered and fit and raring to go for the next session :happy:
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    STRETCH AND HYDRATE! Stretching is key in my opinion!!!!!!!! It saved me from many sore muscles after karate workouts, Curves workouts, and Zumba!!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. I found some good vigorous sports massage really helps every few weeks as well as some of the other ideas people have mentioned below. I do stretch regularly and do yoga once a week so when I get really sore muscles it's quite frustrating.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    well, i do stretch a lot. my husband and i do the p90x workout, and he does quite a warm up and cool down. ...and i usually do my own stretching before some of his workouts because even the warm up can be a workout sometimes. so i wouldn't think that that would be the problem?...Thanks for everyone's input!!
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    well, i do stretch a lot. my husband and i do the p90x workout, and he does quite a warm up and cool down. ...and i usually do my own stretching before some of his workouts because even the warm up can be a workout sometimes. so i wouldn't think that that would be the problem?...Thanks for everyone's input!!

I have absolutely no scientific data to back this up, but I just think some people are predisposed for more muscle cell breakdown than others. I can be in the same physical fitness as a friend, drink around the same amount of water and stretch (which by the way, they are now saying that stretching doesn't even help that much) and I will be gripping the arm rails of the stairs 1-2 days after a particularly strenuous work out. I did find this article http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-lactic-acid-buil which I think is pretty helpful in explaining it, even though the question isn't really "answered". I work out about 6 days a week, with the majority of my work outs being in the high end of strenuous - I'm in pretty good shape and I'm sore all the time. Our instructor says Sore is good - even thought it's a pain in the behind!
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Tried everything, food/drink wise and the thing that helped most was chocolate milk.

Something about the protein-carb-sugar combo of a cup of skim milk with a little Hershey's Syrup works for me.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    well thats interesting! ...thanks for the sites! :)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem. The main culprits I can think of are:

Improper recovery: Drink a protein+carb drink or equivalent meal within 30 minutes of completing your workout. There's a window when your body can utilize nutrients best, and the protein and carbs go to work immediately. Additionally, eat regularly throughout the next 24 hours, as you're body is still in recovery mode.

Rest: At the beginning of an exercise program, your body is still adapting to the stresses of new movement and demands. Give your body enough rest (1-2 days) to rebuild muscle, replenish glycogen stores, and rehydrate.

Water: Muscle building happens in liquid. Drink a lot of water in the 24 hours following your workout

If none of that works, take down the intensity for a couple of workouts. You body might be telling you that it needs a break. Don't take a week off, but maybe do a week of low impact exercises. You can still burn a LOT of calories, but you'll be placing fewer stresses on your muscles and joints.

Hope this helps.