Thanks for the support...or not

Options
First -

Here is a major THANK YOU to all of you who support not only each other, but me as well. I hope that I am at least a little bit helpful in providing support in your weight loss journey.

HOWEVER...

This message isn't for you. It is for the two of you who sent the nasty personal messages to me. You know who you are. How dare you say I was "whining" when I listed all the reasons I was proud of completing my first 5K ever. NO. I wasn't bragging. YES. Other people DO do it in better times. However, because of all the reasons previously listed, I was proud that I finished it. I didn't need you to tell me how badly my time was and that I needed to get in training so that I would have a time I wouldn't be ashamed of.

I'm not allowed to call you names, but you know what you are.

The whole purpose of MFP is to work with each other to find healthier lifestyles in the manner that works best for us. We are supposed to be supporting each other and not tearing each other down.

Again - to all of the rest of you here on MFP. I love you!!!!!!

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    OMGosh, people suck! Finishing a 5k, no matter what your time, is more than most people do in a given day. You have every right to be proud! :)
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I don't know you, but I love the way you handled this! Congratulations on finishing your 5K... I think that's AWESOME! :flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 5k! I hope you reported the folks who sent you those messages. That's the only way the moderators/Mike can weed out people who shouldn't be part of this community.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    First -

Here is a major THANK YOU to all of you who support not only each other, but me as well. I hope that I am at least a little bit helpful in providing support in your weight loss journey.

HOWEVER...

This message isn't for you. It is for the two of you who sent the nasty personal messages to me. You know who you are. How dare you say I was "whining" when I listed all the reasons I was proud of completing my first 5K ever. NO. I wasn't bragging. YES. Other people DO do it in better times. However, because of all the reasons previously listed, I was proud that I finished it. I didn't need you to tell me how badly my time was and that I needed to get in training so that I would have a time I wouldn't be ashamed of.

The whole purpose of MFP is to work with each other to find healthier lifestyles in the manner that works best for us. We are supposed to be supporting each other and not tearing each other down.

People ACTUALLY did that???? You have every right to be proud! :flowerforyou: I guess there are mean people in all walks of life. Mean people suck.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone go out of their ways to send PMs with nasty undertones? I don't get it. These people need to take a class in etiquette!

Sorry you had to encounter that. People are so MEAN sometimes! Just remember, karma is a b*tch!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    First -

HOWEVER...

A 5k would murder me where I am, and ANY time is a good time--it's a fantastic accomplishment!

And even if you were bragging, there's nothing wrong with that--we all brag on here from time to time, it's because we're proud of the changes we're making.

I'm sorry someone was unkind. Probably jealousy, you know?

Kris
  • kaymayscool
    Options
    I love the grace you used to confront your tormentors. Shame on them and God Bless you! You are a much better person! I for one am very proud of you for even running that race. I could not do it, not now, maybe never. You should be proud of your accomplishments. I think they were jealous because you are AMAZING!!!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am appalled that someone was so rude to you. Running a 5k is a fantastic achievement, regardless of the time. It was one of my goals until my doctor told me I shouldn't run due to arthritis. I love seeing other people reach that goal, way to go!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on completing a 5k!! What an achievement. I can't believe people can be so rude. As accountant_boi suggested, you really should report the people who sent you messages, that is not right.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I only wish I could do 5k some people always have some thing to complain about. Congrats!!!!!!:smile:
  • johnnythebaptist
    Options
    Thats sounds like jelousy....You keep on doing what your doing.....let the critics do what they do....talk about others. Keeps their mind off themselves.
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a horrible nasty negative person. Don't let them get you down. I hope someday to be able to complete a 5k. Hearing stories like yours inspire me. Thank you for sharing and CONGRATS!!!!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone go out of their ways to send PMs with nasty undertones? I don't get it. These people need to take a class in etiquette!

Sorry you had to encounter that. People are so MEAN sometimes! Just remember, karma is a b*tch!
    If not the etiquette classes, they actualy need to get a life. Why would someone waste time on something like that?!
    Congrats on your 5k, it's awsome. I bet you that those people who sent you messages didnt do it! :flowerforyou:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Running is hard. and takes lots of practice. For some people becoming better at running is quicker than for others... I just barely got to where I can run an entire 5k and that is on a good day...

Props to you sista! and you were much more eloquent than I would have been.
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    THIS is why I love you all :)
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Wow, I couldn't do a 5K. They are just a bunch of coward p*ussies who put you down behind the safety of their computer. Don't let those junior high school girls get you down. Be proud! Good job!
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You know. 99.99999999 percent of everyperson I have had contact on MFP, has been wonderful and supportive. There have been a few that seem judgemental. This site is based on building a community of inclusive support. Each person is a unique individual. What may be my success is not going to be anothers. There are a few on here that i hope learn that inclusive support means, to be accepting of the differences that exist between each member on the site.

And I am sorry, there are some that offer advice that need to rethink "advice" before they do. I see alot of "misinformation" on the site that is not scientific, or peer- reviewed supported information by the medical field. I think this can be dangerous. I think we need to think twice before chasitizing other around us that are not following the program that WE may think is the only way. Everyone also loses weight differently.

I hope your posts accomplishes for some a nicer and more supportive environment.

By the way, finishing a 5K is huge............... Congrats. I couldn't even do that. Who cares what your time was. You set a goal and you acheived success. Only you can measure what that means.......... Personal accomplishment is personal and I am happy for you, that is AWESOME.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    whack.gif <---- to the nasty PM'ers and Woot_Emoticon.gif on your 5k!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I was proud that I finished it. I didn't need you to tell me how badly my time was and that I needed to get in training so that I would have a time I wouldn't be ashamed of.

Congrats on finishing your 5K! Don't let the azzholes get you down - it doesn't matter if they don't think you're fast.

The important thing is that you did it! YAY :flowerforyou: ! As for your future races - you are really just out improve YOUR own previous time. You're really just competing against yourself!

It is really a bummer to hear that two people took the time to send you those kind of messages. Often those folks are writing you to give themselves an ego boost at your expensive. Sorry that happened...

Awesome photo and keep on runnin'
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Gee I ran 2 miles the other night and patted myself on the back for that... After I was able to move again that is! I know I couldn't do a 5K yet and congratulations on doing yours!!!!!!!!! Some people just need to talk down to others to feel better about themselves