Interesting article I read today that irritated me

Options
http://health.yahoo.net/articles/obesity/snacking-not-portion-size-largely-driving-us-overeating

This is the problem I have with articles like that... The studies author puts the blame on marketers... I ended up at 335 lbs not because of marketers.. I ate too much, drank too much and didn't take care of myself... It was my fault that I was obese.. I think that is true for most people... Until you are sick and tried of being fat and unhealthy and admit it's your fault, you'll never change.

But it seems like all the smart people that do these studies have to find a villian... This lets the individual off the hook... Most of the time, You are where your at because of the choices you've made... That should be spelled out in every study and force people to accept responsiblitly for there actions..

This is the part of the article that set me off..

Popkin blames food advertising and other marketing for the shift from three square meals a day to near-constant eating.

"It's all about making people think they want to have something in their hands all the time," he says. "Why are we snacking all the time and munching all the time? [Food] is there, it's available all the time, it's tasty. It's not very healthy, but it's tasty. It's sweet, it's salty, it's fatty—it's all the things we love."

Lisa Young, Ph.D., an adjunct professor of nutrition at New York University and the author of The Portion Teller, agrees that the ubiquity of snack foods has helped drive overeating.

"You never used to see food staring you in the face when you went to…a drugstore," says Young, who was not involved in the new research. "It's in your face and it's cheap. You go get a magazine, you can get a candy bar."

Sorry for venting, but I think it's important that it's your choice wether or not you're going to be healthy and nobody can make it for you.

Replies

• XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    I take the "news" on yahoo as an equal to dog crap.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    just from the title it sounds like bs. im pretty sure eating one huge meal a day is worse than having little snacks.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    That's what's wrong with this world today. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions. It irritates me too...
  • XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    That's what's wrong with this world today. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions. It irritates me too...
    Agreed! everyone finds something to blame it on. Like the man that sued mcdonalds because he gained 60lbs from working there for 10 years.Its not md's fault he ate their food and didn't exercise
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

Agree whole heartedly. No one wants to take responsiblity for themselves.

If you look for it, you can find plenty of info advocating for healthy lifestyles as much as advertising junk food.

Choices People!
  • KimberSt
    KimberSt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    They're using advertising as a scapegoat to the real problem!!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Agree totally that individuals must take responsibility for their actions!

Even on MFP I see so many who consume 1/2 their calories (or more) in junk food snacks!
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Lisa Young, Ph.D., an adjunct professor of nutrition at New York University and the author of The Portion Teller, agrees that the ubiquity of snack foods has helped drive overeating.

"You never used to see food staring you in the face when you went to…a drugstore," says Young, who was not involved in the new research.

I guess she has selective memory. She must have forgotten about the drugstore lunch counters and soda fountains that were popular back in the day.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Sounds like us poor sheep are in trouble because the snack people make us eat snacks.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    yes it does fall on the individual to make the right choices. But companies wouldn't be paying marketing/ advertising agencies millions of dollars if it didn't get results.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    yes it does fall on the individual to make the right choices. But companies wouldn't be paying marketing/ advertising agencies millions of dollars if it didn't get results.

Advertising does work... Nothing would get sold without sales people, but the authors of the study lays the blame for people being overweight at the foot of marketers.. Not the individual who bought the product...
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    You just got to love the progressive mind set. Advertising for big business = bad, people just can’t resist advertising, it’s all the big businesses fault for advertising their junk to us poor fools that have no self control.

BUT, violent videos that kids play and watch for hours and hours, has absolutely no affect on society, because it’s “free speech” and people should be responsible for their own actions.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this Ed. While I get disgusted with the tactics marketers use these days to sell products, I hold only myself accountable for being overweight. I ate the junk food. I chose to sit on my duff and live an inactive life. If the candy bars were not sitting there at the check-out counter, I would have hunted them down, with the same intensity I use when I am looking for a certain pair of shoes.

Being unaccountable is not in anyone's best interest. We need to be more accountable to ourselves, our children, our elderly and society as a whole. For realz!!!!

Michelle