can fresh brewed iced tea count towards 8 glasses of water?

Options
can a glass of fresh brewed iced tea (0 cal 0 everything) count towards the 8 glasses of water a day that you are supposed to drink everyday, since it is basically made up of water anyways? just curious :) thanks!

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't count it but some people do. The problem with ice tea is that it has caffeine in it and caffeine actually dehydrates the body versus hydrating it - so I think you kind of have a wash there with the effects of drinking the water that makes up the ice tea vs the caffeine in it.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No, tea dehydrates you. I always drink and extra glass of water for every glass of tea coffee etc.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I do if it doesn't have caffeine.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    ohhh geeze, see thats why i ask the stupid questions lol. i knew that i just didnt think of that! Thanks guys!! :)
  • TaraRawr
    TaraRawr Posts: 10
    Options
    I don't see why decaffeinated tea or herbal tea wouldn't. As long as there's no caffeine then why not?
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Tea does not dehydrate you. Caffeine has a diuretic effect which might make you urinate more after consuming a lot of it, but you would have to drink a lot of tea to get enough caffeine for that to take place. It's still basically just that much water flushing through your system. I drink iced tea pretty frequently and I count it toward water intake.

Here's the results of a study by the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. You have to read down pretty far into the study to get to the hydration aspects, as the study focused mostly on cancer and other conditions.

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v61/n1/full/1602489a.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    can a glass of fresh brewed iced tea (0 cal 0 everything) count towards the 8 glasses of water a day that you are supposed to drink everyday, since it is basically made up of water anyways? just curious :) thanks!

YES!!! That's pretty much all I drink during the day. I only drink water during/after my workout and I keep a glass by the bed at night. I've never had any problems with hydration or weight loss. Tea is just flavored water that is full of antioxidants. With no sugar or artificial sweeteners it's actually as good or better for you than water.
  • lupuslady
    lupuslady Posts: 99
    Options
    I drink a lot of ice tea and yes I count it as water. But it does flush me out and I urinate a lot, but that cannot be all bad....
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I say that based on what I've read in quite a few sources on the internet, understanding that what's in the internet may be nothing more than what a 13 year old is typing while watching the Simpsons. I have seen that from enough diet sites that I suspect it to be true.

In addition, my GF runs one of the 44 Lindora weight loss clinics here in southern California. Lindora has been around for over 40 years so I suspect that they've got some things figured out. Their approach to drinks is that any drink that's calorie free should be counted toward the 8 glasses per day "goal".

This article explores the 8 glasses a day concept and also touches on the diuretic effect.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

Note this is a research report from a medical doctor who is a professor emeritus of physiology at Dartmouth Medical School. He is the author of a textbook on kidneys. At 100 footnotes, it's a little more detailed than the average web page.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Also make sure if you do that it is decaffinated and count any sugar/sweetner in your calories... You'd be suprised how quick those add up...

Happy Tea Drinking... **My weekness is sweet tea**
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be counted towards your daily intake. You obviously can't get dehydrated from drinking fluids. The only drink that I am aware of that can actually cause you to become dehydrated is alcohol. Alcohol essentially turns off your antidiuretic hormone so that you urinate a lot even with small amounts of alcohol.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon of plain ice tea a day and it does not hinder my loss at all.