Food/kitchen scales - which should I buy?

Marsha_S
Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm at a loss as to which scale to buy for everyday weighing of food portions. What should I look for when deciding a good scale? Digital or analogue? I also prefer imperial measurements. Is there a particular brand you like, or does it not matter (inexpensive please).

Thanks all!

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    digital! analogue ones are nowhere near accurate enough. i just ordered these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobbs-14971-Distinctions-Kitchen/dp/B001PKTFKA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1309534999&sr=8-4 as they were on sale but they havent come yet so cant really say how good they are but they're from a good brand so im hoping they'll be fine
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Any one will work. The most importnat thing is that it lets you adjust back to zero after you put a plate or something on top to hold the food. Mine is a simple spinning dial, and has the measurements in both lbs and grams so I can convert my recipes from Portugal.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    I purchased a postal scale from eBay... it was about $10, and I've had it for about 6 years. Works like a champ. Not sure the brand - some random Asian Electronics manufacturer.

It has a tare button, so I can add one thing, get the weight, tare it, then add another thing, etc. It also weighs in both oz and g.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Biggest Loser Scale- Digital from Bed Bath and Beyond. $19.99. Weighs in ounces and grams. You can weigh something, then keep the plate on, "tear" the scale so it's back to 0 and then put something else on top of the plate. It's awesome!
    Best one I've used so far!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    I bought a digital one in walmart for 20$ I don't regreted. It was one of the best if not the best
    purchase toward's eating healthy. I can weight food by grams, ounces and pounds. Sorry I dont know the brand but there aren't that many atleast in walmart.
  • We have a digital "Biggest Loser" scale purchased from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It easily switches from grams to ounces and will reset back to zero when a plate is placed on top. We love it.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    I work for Williams Sonoma, check out the website we have really good ones. (I'm really not trying to promote, but it's good product) - the only one I wouldn't reccommend is the the oxo one. They have a tendency to crap out. I personally want the nutritional scale, but haven't broken down yet. Salter is a great brand.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    I didnt read them all so i might be duplicating, but get one that has the readout on the front, facing fwd - so if you put a plate etc on there and it hangs over the edge it's not covering the readout.
    Also - ditto on the "being able to zero out" after putting something on it point is critical as well. Then you can just put your plate on, zero out, add one food item, zero out, add another ... cont.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I have this one and have been very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B001N0D7GA

The first review has a great list of features to consider when choosing a food scale.
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks for all the options - some of these don't seem to be available in the UK, like the biggest loser one. The Russell Hobbs one looks really good so far.
This discussion has been closed.