Any cooks/chefs trying to lose?

vatruitt
vatruitt Posts: 15 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
Hey! I was wondering if anyone here is in my boat - I'm currently an amateur cook but I hope to get a lot more experience and possibly even a food related job someday.
It adds a bit of a special challenge though, cause I cook so much and it's all tasty, but I can only eat a limited amount. Actually all the cooking is one thing that definitely contributed to my original weight gain.
I cook 2-3 times a day everyday, feed my boyfriend and roommates, make all the dishes and arrangements for parties, etc. And of course you have to taste before you serve ;)
I deal with it by only tasting a little bit, and sometimes making a lower cal version for myself.
Anyone else here a cook - amateur or professional? How do you deal with handling all that tasty food all the time?

Replies

• bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    I'm an amateur cake decorator - and let me tell you, it's not easy sometimes. I always have to make sure I've eaten before I start whipping up royal icing or cake batter (both of which I adore...), and I always make sure I have a huge bottle of water around. Years of licking the spatula, or eating the crumbs, whatever - it all adds up.

Not easy...but I'm trying.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    yeah i always have that problem! i adore cooking! i just tend to make things for family
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Pastry chef. Most of the time I just see the food as work, not actual food. But then every now and then I weaken, esp. if I'm hungry and I didn't bring anything to work with me - then my choices are all bad. Best thing to do is not look at it all as something YOU can eat. It's for other people, not you. Just because you're the one making it doesn't mean you have to partake :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    *raises hand*

Amateur (French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover"). Definately!

Making old recipes healthy and making up new ones is so much fun that I've created my very first blog. LOL.

http://healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    no, but my husband is a chef and he's a bit of a hindrance at times! he tends to forget he's cooking for 2 and not 200, and of course its yummy, so its a battle to keep under calories when he cooks. he rarely eats at work though, like someone else said it just become work, not food. its not tempting at all when you've been staring at it all day. the problems come from not having breaks so eating in a rush, often sandwiches with whatever is lying around, and eating at weird times round long shifts.
  • Rachel925
    Rachel925 Posts: 15
    Chef here. Yes, theres def a difficulty in handling food. I guess its like an alcoholic being a bartender, only everyone has to eat. I keep gum around and say mantra to myself. You have control, food doesn't control you. I think it would help to have some inspiration around too. Always eat a snack and drink lots of water before hitting the kitchen. Good luck.
  • aly1221
    aly1221 Posts: 55
    i looooove to bake...i swear the food network was put out there to taunt me lol holidays are going to be rough because that's when i spend pretty much all day baking in the kitchen but i've found a lot of good recipies on here, and if you're into splenda (i'm NOT) half the sugar for splenda makes it a little better i'm guessing...

but yeah...i miss baking every other night but like baking and i guess cooking it takes time and attention to get desired results, and if you put in the wrong ingredients you won't get what you wanted..

good luck everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I am an avid home cook. Most of what I eat was made by me, including bread! I have learned to stop snacking on whatever I am cooking, unless it is vegetables. No picking at the pile of meat that I cooked up, repeated tasting of sauces, etc Other than that, I may dial back the cheese/butter, etc. here and there, but for me it is all about portion control.
  • I am professional trained as a chef and pastry chef, though I dont work in a kitchen anymore... Its one thing to cook and eat well, but its another to do it just because you can.

I rarely bake because, well, it doesn't fit in my diet/lifestyle. I only do it for parties and such so it doesn't interfere with my fiance and my goals. So, when I cook, I cook for our health because its not worth it just to prove that I can cook tasty things...

So either dial back the snacking and tasting that all chefs are all too familiar with, or figure out how to work it into your daily expenditure. Good luck.

Alternatively, dial back who you cook for if you value your health/weight loss more than how much you show off your cooking skills (in a good way..)
  • vatruitt
    vatruitt Posts: 15 Member
    I'm an amateur cake decorator - and let me tell you, it's not easy sometimes. I always have to make sure I've eaten before I start whipping up royal icing or cake batter (both of which I adore...), and I always make sure I have a huge bottle of water around. Years of licking the spatula, or eating the crumbs, whatever - it all adds up.

Yeah I know what you mean... Last week I was baking a chocolate cake for a party and when it came time to whip the ganache I just kept tasting it and tasting it...... with a tablespoon! And making excuses that I'm "testing the consistency" LOL
    I've actually been trying to make healthier meals, but its not easy because me and my boyfriend (200 pound guy with a beer belly) have very different dietary needs.
This discussion has been closed.