I really need some cheap & healthy meals

Options
Okay, today is grocery shopping day. I am fresh out of ideas for cheap, yet healthy, meals. I'm really trying to cut back on my grocery spending because I'm leaving my job for school in the very near future. I have time to prepare meals, just not a lot of money to do so haha.

What are your staples at the grocery store to make your cheap/healthy meals? I cook for two, and any input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Replies

• CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Broccoli, Cauliflower, Eggs are always pretty good on the cheap staples over here. You can hard boil two eggs, and boil the broccoli, and you're done. The eggs are good protein and the veggies fill you up.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I always get boneless skinless chicken breast, you can do so much. Cut it up and add spices and grill it or cook it in a pan or in the over. Put picante sauce on it and stick it in the over, put it in a salad, or on some bagel thin's with cheese and tomato paste and tada, mini pizza!
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    Bagged salad, Italian vinaigrette, and boneless skinless chicken breast. Delish.
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    Buy the frozen stir fry vegetables and cut up one or two chicken breasts. Super easy, quick and cheap! I cook for three and there's usually enough left for my lunch the next day.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How about some whole wheat sourdough bread, some tomato, 1 oz mozzarella, and some pesto?
  • drohde12
    drohde12 Posts: 22
    Options
    Brown rice, red beans, and a small amount of cheddar cheese. So nutritious and so cheap. Its even cheaper if you cook your own beans!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    As long as you watch the sodium, soup is cheap and low cal/fat.

I eat lean pockets everyday for work lunch, so it's cheaper and healthier than what they have in the cafeteria

I like toasted turkey sandwiches (deli turkey) on the wonder smart white bread w/ a 2% borden cheddar cheese slice--cheap when you consider how many sandwiches you make for the money

Also spaghetti w/ the tyson breaded pre-cooked all white meat chicken patty. I usually make out on dinner under 600 calories when I eat that and it is a cheap and tasty protein
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like to make a pot of beans on Sunday's and then add/eat them during the week. I make a ton of stuff out of chicken. I buy boneless/skinless breasts when on sale and even grind some. We eat a lot of chicken. You can turn it into almost anything. :) Look for farmers markets for your produce. It will save you. I usually tailor what I'm eating during the week by what's on sale.

Good luck
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt (can be a little pricey but worth it!), pop chips, blueberries (these can be pricey too but Trader Joe's usually have gd prices), carrots, celery, cabbage - basically veggies and protein.
    I eat a lot of different types of salads @ home and a gd stable is olive oil and vinegar (balsamic, white, apple cider)

It's great to keep the oil and vinegar around because there are so many different types of dressing that you can make that are super easy! They are just variations of the O/v, salt pepper and a little bit of sugar. But if you want tasty dressing you're going to want to keep some garlic and mustard on hand too.

For an example of a low fat (& laziness) snack, I will take some cabbage, cut it up like I would for coleslaw, and then just drizzle a little bit of vinegar over it and sometimes put some salt and pepper on it. That is a snack that I really love; it's like coleslaw, but w/o all the mayo an sugar. If you need to tho, add the tiniest bit of oil to your vinegar and then drizzle it over the cabbage.

There's also the combo of cottage cheese and pop chips, or any kind of low fat/cal chips as well as the mixture of yogurt and fresh fruit that will get me through meals and keep me feeling good.

& if you're looking for meat options, chicken thights and breasts are fabulous and easy to prepare in so many different ways and it's usually sold for a pretty decent price.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    We are on a extremely tight budget as my hubby is out of work. Most of my groceries are store brand. ALDI's is great too!!!!

I buy jennie-o 24 pack of jumbo turkey hotdogs ( less than 4 dollars usd) last a long time. Usually get baked beans store brand. Saurerkraut cheak - low calorie pickles... bread is up to you...

You can make a few extra hot dogs and cut up and put in the left over baked beans for side next day and so on.

frozen veggie too!!

ALDI's
    loaf bread is cheap .79cents - low calories
    cereal is cheap under 2.00usd
    fruit is SUPER cheap - last week i bough strawberries for 1usd..
    we drink water at home from the fridge.

My Hubby makes a pasta bake...
    Makes pasta measure out how many cups
    add cooked past, add sauce
    cheese
    plus cooks a smoked turkey sausage or meatballs
    puts in a tin - bakes for 10-15min
    that usually lasts 2-3days

check out my food diary!!! question me if you like :)

Good luck!! Joey
  • Mnk777
    Mnk777 Posts: 6
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken with whole wheat pasta - you can change it up with different spices/sauces
    Eggs with veggies (onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc.)
    pork chops with whole wheat pasta or rice
    cut up chicken or pork in a green salad with light dressing
    chili with beans goes a long way..you can add ground beef too
    sandwiches (turkey or blt's with turkey bacon)
    hard boiled eggs make great snacks and they're healty
    breakfast burritos with eggs, veggies and cheese on whole wheat tortillas
    Try to buy the chicken when its on sale or in family packs. You can separate it into smaller amounts and freeze it.