dealing with injury

Options
Hey everyone! I haven't posted in awhile bc I injured my back and have been out of commission for about 2 weeks. I'm anxious to get back to the gym but I'm not sure if it's the best idea yet. I miss the elliptical! Has anyone else dealt with chronic muscle spasms, and pinched sciatic nerve?:mad:

Replies

• smorris0505
    Options
    Hey everyone! I haven't posted in awhile bc I injured my back and have been out of commission for about 2 weeks. I'm anxious to get back to the gym but I'm not sure if it's the best idea yet. I miss the elliptical! Has anyone else dealt with chronic muscle spasms, and pinched sciatic nerve?:mad:
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yup. I've had a broken tail bone, fractured rib, and have experienced back muscle spasms. I know your frustrations! If you're anxious to get back to the gym try using the stationary bike. It's no impact. Elliptical is probably fine too. I found the bike good when I fractured my rib and had the elliptical great for when I broke my tail bone and when I was having back trouble. Hope that helps.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with a pinched nerve in my neck and spasms in my shoulder...LIGHT exercises and stretching was what finally got me out of physical therapy.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    oh-- ouch-- sciatica is a real pain in the-- whoops--

I haven't had it in years, thank God, but probably 'cause I'm totally anal about guarding against it. I have some exercises that a doctor gave to me at the first sign, and I haven't had a bout in over two years.

On your hands and knees, straighten one leg out, and just raise your heel to the ceiling a whole bunch of reps and then the other-- doctor told me it strengthens the muscles around the nerve and reduces the inflammation. ?? Sounded reasonable to me, and it works like a charm. It helped me get through my last bout, and has prevented it since.

Give it a whirl--
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    Currently in PT for this..Im on week 5 now and still am having issues. My therapist just gave me permission to start jogging again last week- but only 1/4 mile at a time. Mainly it just takes time, and careful healing with the right exercises to gradually get back to your activities..Frustrating, but I would rather be cautious, and slowly heal now than to live with this pain for the rest of my life..I still may have issues on down the road!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Had sciatica, yes it is a pain in the --- !!! Agree with the stretch described by a previous poster. However, if it was me, I would see a pshyiotherapist to at least go through a stretching program and a back to excercise program. You do not want to do something that is going to agrevate the sciatica. Good luck!!
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I have two herniated discs and have back spasms. I use the elliptical and Walk away the pounds workout DVD's because they are low impact. I can't do the elliptical full out but I can use it and I usually can run it at a decent pace. I can usually do 2 miles in 30 to 45 minutes on the elliptical. As long as you ease back into it you should be fine. Just don't do real high resistance until you know what your back can handle.
  • KathyTemby
    Options
    :flowerforyou: the tips are great. I, too, am dealing with a problem back that nothing has been able to help. I have a few exercises for my core given by my p/t for a different back problem but they don't seem to have any affect on this new issue. I agree in baby steps for sure. No sense causing more injury. Thanks for all of the advice. Hang in there all!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    PT is so important. A professional can tell you what is right for your body. Just make sure to tell them you want exercises to do at home, then DO them.

I have neck herniations and my physical therapist is who started me on this journey of weight loss.

I have a freind with severe low back issues. She is pain free using Pilates.

Good luck, and I hope you fell better soon. :flowerforyou: