Fish

italiansweetheart
italiansweetheart Posts: 24 Member
edited 7:32AM in Food and Nutrition
Ok, I have to admit, I do not like fish of any kind. I have tried lobster, shrimp, cod, and salmon and dislike the taste of them all. Any suggestions to what fish isn't so "fishy" tasting and how to prepare. Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    I have recently been buying a fish marked as Swai. It's a type of catfish, but it has absolutely no fishy smell or flavor. It comes frozen in bags of individually sealed boneless filets here. The package tells you how to thaw them and then I usually just rub a seasoning mix or even just s&p on them and pull out a flat non-stick griddle pan and it's just a couple of minutes on each side.
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    tilapia is the mildest fish i have tasted. even my 3 year old likes it! i bake it at 400 degrees with seasoning and a little butter on top. thats it!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    How have you prepared it before? I can take a piece of cod, season it with lemon pepper and bake it in the over, and it tastes completely different when I marinate it and grill it in sauce.

I would experiment with different flavorings and ways to cook it. Get as creative as you would with a piece of chicken. You might find ways to cook the same fish you think you don't like that taste really good.

I used to think salmon was terrible...until I got a new recipe for it that uses cajun seasonings on a grill. Then I chop it up and put it in a large salad with romaine lettuce, walnuts, and orange slices. It's awesome compared to just a yucky salmon patty.
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    scallops are good tooo....esp if you make them into kabobs on the grill
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    I never met a fish I didn't love as long as it was fresh and not overcooked so I can't help you much there.

But, have you tried scallops? My grandkids love them!

Edit: (oops, Arkenny beat me to that one)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Flounder, grouper and tilapia are all three very mild tasting fish. Try those. Squeeze on lots of lemon juice. Takes away any "fishy" taste.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    I think a lot of the white fishes seem to taste more like what you season them with and don't have too much of a fishy taste. Maybe try tilapia (my fav!) or flounder?
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    Ok, I have to admit, I do not like fish of any kind. I have tried lobster, shrimp, cod, and salmon and dislike the taste of them all. Any suggestions to what fish isn't so "fishy" tasting and how to prepare. Thanks for the help!!

In my experience, swordfish and halibut aren't terribly fishy--in fact, swordfish is barely fish-tasting at all. They're both quite high in the omega oils, but also higher in calories. Because they're a fattier fish, you shouldn't eat them as often as, say, pollock or haddock.

We eat pollock, more often than not, and our son hates "fishy." But he calls our fish "epic." We bread it with corn flake crumbs and various herbs and spices (think pepper, lemon zest, some milder cajun spices), and then oven bake it. It's like fishsticks, only low sodium, low fat, and not bad for you. But the taste is--well, it's epic. Having it tonight, in fact!

Kris
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I'm right there with Cristy - I'm a big fan of seafood, just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!

This is going to sound odd but a friend of mine who is NOT a big fan of seafood recently tried sushi and found that she actually liked it! Something about the oils in the meat being fresher because they were raw really appealed to her. So maybe give that a try?
  • I've never liked fish because it's overwhelmingly fishy to me. I tried halibut a few months ago and as long as it's fresh, it is not fishy at all, particularly when there are seasonings on it.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Orange Roughy is wonderful, but like other fish can be expensive.

I season with a little light butter and Old Bay, toss in some foil and out on the grill. YUm!

I'm not a fan of fishy fishy myself, but lately try to get in salmon because it's supposed to be
    so good for you. There are a ton of healthy fish recipes to try that make the fish flavor not as
    strong and actually quite delicious! If you like sweet hot flavor, google the recipe for
    Pan seared salmon with pineapple jalepeno relish-i eat the relish as a side dish its so good lol!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    I love the canned sardines at Trader Joe's. Loaded with Omega-3's.
  • BustyTransformer
    BustyTransformer Posts: 45 Member
    I think a lot of fish tastes very good as long as it's super fresh. I don't like the frozen variety. I buy mine at an actual fish store.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Cod is a pretty mild fish, so if you don't like that it might be hard to find something you do like. Orang Roughy or tilapia are both pretty mild. One thing I will say is that a lot of people I know who don't like fish tend to overcook it, which gives it a much "fishier" taste than if it's not overcooked. This is especially true of darker fish like tuna or salmon. Rare tuna has next to no fishy taste, but if you cook it well done you might as well just buy the canned stuff. Salmon is best medium rare. But even the mild white fishes will have a much milder taste if you take it off as soon as it begins to flake. The flesh should be moist and springy, not dry and shredded.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    If the fish you're trying smells "fishy," then it's most likely not fresh. Fresh fish shouldn't smell like anything, honestly. That said, cod is a very mild fish, but if that doesn't work for you, try scrod, or tilapia.
  • italiansweetheart
    italiansweetheart Posts: 24 Member
    Thanks for all the recommendations on the fish, I think I am gonna give the Talapia a try to start!!:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.