Mid-workout slump - help!

Options
Hey, so I'm taking a Turbo Kick class this semester (basically turbo jam in class form, for those of you familiar with it) and it's generally about 40 min of straight *kitten*-busting. I've been at it for about 6 weeks twice a week and I've gotten so I can handle the first 15 min or so of class pretty well, but about 15-20 min in my energy level just drops flat. I get so that I can hardly lift my legs and I feel ridiculous with everyone else around me continuing to jump around and whatnot. After that point it comes and goes, I'll feel drained for a few min then I'll get a little bit back, then I'll slump again. I always try to eat a little more during the day before my class (it's an evening class) so I'll have the energy I need. It doesn't really seem to help though.

So my question is this: Does anyone know why this happens or have suggestions for ways to keep my energy up? Should I eat more of one thing or another? Thanks!

Replies

• nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I'm taking a Turbo Kick class this semester (basically turbo jam in class form, for those of you familiar with it) and it's generally about 40 min of straight *kitten*-busting. I've been at it for about 6 weeks twice a week and I've gotten so I can handle the first 15 min or so of class pretty well, but about 15-20 min in my energy level just drops flat. I get so that I can hardly lift my legs and I feel ridiculous with everyone else around me continuing to jump around and whatnot. After that point it comes and goes, I'll feel drained for a few min then I'll get a little bit back, then I'll slump again. I always try to eat a little more during the day before my class (it's an evening class) so I'll have the energy I need. It doesn't really seem to help though.

So my question is this: Does anyone know why this happens or have suggestions for ways to keep my energy up? Should I eat more of one thing or another? Thanks!
  • skdramaqueen
    Options
    Hey I have the exact same problem! If you have done the 40 min turbo jam cardio party mix 1 then the part with the lunges and kicks wow gets me too. It would get to the point where I had to take a break and I just started skiping that section all together. So I know where you are coming from. My solution I have to eat 30 minutes before I exercise and it is usually like a cup of peas or a banana something to give me energy but not make my body tired just by digesting. It worked for me. But if you are interested in maybe shaking things up a bit I would recomend doing Zumba. It is a workout similar to the dancing part of turbo jam and it is the funnest thing I have ever done you are supposed to burn between 500-1000 calories in an hour, and the best part, I don't ever get tired! Sure I sweat my guts out but I have so much energy after it is great! Maybe you should check it out.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would say that you're low in carbs. What are you eating before working out?? I would recommend a banana, apple, half a whole wheat bagel, or something to keep your energy up. I love TJ, a Turbo Kick class sounds like fun! Make sure you're getting in enough water also! HTH!

Jess
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    I take a turbo kickboxing class twice a week as well. I have experienced the "energy slump" midway through. It helps if I get a full night of sleep the night before class. (That's my biggest problem). I also find that eating a Luna bar (which has a good balance of protien, carbs, and calories) within an hour before class really helps me to make it through. I eat a normal lunch (between 200-400 calories, depending on the day) and save my Luna bar "snack" for the hour before class. It helps a lot! Also, I drink plenty of water before, during, and after class.