Problem Knee

Options
Painten
Painten Posts: 499 Member
I didn't have any knee pain till i started exercising. I was having a weird crunchy noise but my doctor said lose weight and it would improve. The problem is that in my efforts to lose weight it's gotten worse. I do workout dvd's and zumba on a friday. It's gotten considerably worse since starting zumba. I'm not close enough to a pool that i can use that as an alternative to what i am doing. I don't burn enough calories just walking plus i hate it and i don't have access to a gym. So i am sticking with what i am doing.

I have started taking codliver oil but is there anything else i can do that can possibly help my knee? I thought about a knee support but was told that they hold your knee in the wrong position so actually don't help at all.

Replies

• sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What about riding a bike? Sometimes that motion is smooth enough not to cause pain like walking or zumba?
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have the crunchy left knee noise too... I've had it since college and I think I've just gotten used to it. Mine doesn't really hurt when it crunches. Take an aleve 30 min before you work out, that might help. If it doesn't get better as you lose though or if it gets worse - I'd head straight back to the Dr. for a follow up.... no point in letting it get worse! Good Luck!!
  • daytondwellee
    Options
    After my total knee replacement surgery my physical therapist suggested that I do not use the treadmill at the gym, but rather stick with the elliptical.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've had two knee surgeries and let me tell you, cycling is the trick! also try taking glucosamine/chondroitin, it's good for arthritis.
  • Shouldabeenaninja
    Shouldabeenaninja Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Vicki!
    LOL! This is the story of my life! It's my left knee (I'm left-handed...idk if it has anything to do with it) but, I go to Zumba (class) typically twice a day M-S. I'd only have a problem with my knee every now and then before...but now, it hurts 24/7.

At first I thought it was my shoes, because with some of the twists/turns, if you have too much traction, it can be really hard on your knees...ya know.

But I realized...the floor is so slippery sometimes, that I can't stretch right! So, it's not my shoes. IDK - the weird thing is, when I'm actually in Zumba class, it doesn't hurt as long as I pull my leg up a couple times before starting. But like an hour afterwards - UGH! IDK - I'm going to try a knee brace or something. Let me know if you find a remedy!

PS - I LOVE ZUMBA! I'm going to become an instructor in Charleston August 27th!!! :)
  • LeahRandom
    LeahRandom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That would be runner's knee. I have it too. I went to the doctor thinking I had developed arthritis. There are specific stretches and exercises for it, many are on youtube. And no, you don't have to be a runner. I got mine from driving an old car for a year with a really tight clutch. Icing can help too. Avoid exercises and activities that make it crunch. I have to go up a lot of stairs for work, and to get into my apt, so my healing is slow.
  • FinMcK
    FinMcK Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Vicky,

I have crappy knees as well. I have lost almost 40 lbs in the last year, and I have been taking Osteo Biflex (triple strength)along with a hylauronic acid supplement for a long time. The weight loss and the supplements have helped, but I still have some knee pain (with some "crunchiness" too. I wear a couple of ace knee supports. They have a gel "donut" around the knee area, and I feel they help protect and support my knees during workouts with my trainer. I have two weekly sessions and he has always adapted anything we do to help protect my knees. When I walk (never run) on the treadmill, I always have it on at least a level 3 incline, which helps take some of the pressure off. I intend to avoid knee replacement if at all possible. My trainer is working on strengthening my leg and hip muscles, as he says this will also help my knees not to have to work as hard. I also have regular chiropractic care. I am almost 57 years old and still need to lose probably about 35 more pounds. Good luck to you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Sa2ah
    Sa2ah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    if your going to your primary care dr, he/she might not be able to help you. i tore my MCL & ACL in my right knee last feb and my PCdr did nothing. i went to an ortho doc and he gave me the proper kind of knee brace. i did have to get xrays & an MRI for my ortho to diagnose me with the tares. so you may infact have a tare somewhere.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I do intend to go back to the doctor but it's wait and i don't hold out much hope of any help apart from him offering me some of them fat absorbing tablets to help speed up the process *lol*

Any of you know a good alternative to a lunge?