PCOS Question

Options
I was diagnosed with PCOS in February. I am now considering going on metformin as part of my treatment. Has anyone been on it or know anything about it?? I know every PCOS story is different, but I would love to hear what works for you. Thanks!

Replies

• TiffyCooper
    Options
    You will need to try it and see for yourself how well it will work for you.

I used the metformin for about a mon and it made me so darn tired. I stopped using that and have been using cinnamon pills (which also helps your body absorb your natural insulin) and that has given me SO much energy. If the metformin works for you, awesome! If not, try the cinnamon pills. Those may make the difference you need.

And if you want support from anoer PCOSer, add me as a friend!
  • outburstjessi
    Options
    I was stuggling with PCOS for years, I finally had a doctor put me on Metformin this past fall and I think it really helps...At first it upset my stomach (gave me gas) but once my body adjusted I was fine.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed with it, but I did a search for some of my symptoms and PCOS came up all over the place. I guess I'll be making a trip to the doctor soon :(
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking the metformin after a month. Cinnamon pills did work. Metformin made me shaky and have stomach problems. And i felt like I was starving the entire time I was on it.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    never heard of cinnamon pills lol.....

But hey i've been on metformin since Dec. so 8months it works the acandosis nigracans (darkening of skin due to insulin seeping out of your body on my neck under arms and inner thighs is pretty much compleately gone) down side you cant drink...... im hoping to get off of it seeing as how i have lost 41lbs and have a healthy bmi now at my apt next week we'll see what she says (the side effects arent fun explosive diarehha and nausea and vomitting) which went away for me after the first 3 weeks then after 2 months came back so my dose was lowered from 2000mg a day to 1000mg had no side effects for another 3-4 months now i get them every few week depending what i eat. My cycle is semi-reg every 31-40 days which i consider amazing i've never ever ever been able to predict it like that i've gone 9-10months w/out before so its great. and yea feel free to add

6148478.png
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I just started Monday on a 500 mg extended release, it is supposed to prevent any side effects like the vomiting and nausea. Over the next few weeks I will work up to as much as 4000 mg. It has only been a couple days but I have not had any problems. I am excited to see what it does!

P.S. with insurance my 3 month prescription was 5 bucks!!
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I have no idea what I am going to do, but it helped to read what you had to say. Thanks!