Zucchini

Options
Starting to get zucchini from my garden. I have always just put it in bars or breads but realize that is more calories than I want to use for my day. Does anyone have any low cal recipes that include zucchini and taste good too?

Replies

• MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I love it on the grill, spray a little oil and lemon pepper or salt and pepper and grill it up.
  • mathlete99
    mathlete99 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like to cut it in spears (works good for those that get too big) and brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill them. So good! In fact I think I will make some now :)
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I boil it or steam it with squash. Just slice it up,add chopped onions,and salt and pepper for taste. Just add a little bit of water if you boil it because zuc/squash have a lot of water in them. I usually cook it until it's soft. Yummy! You can also grill them together. Very low in calories!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I like using a peeler to make zucchini "ribbons". Then I use them in the place of pasta. So good!

I made this the other day. Turkey sausage marinara w/ zucchini ribbons.

IMG_1898.jpg
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Love it grilled, steamed, sauteed in a tiny (about a tsp. per 2 whole, sliced) butter. I like it just about 1/2 way cooked - so it doesn't taste raw but still has crunch!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I like cutting it into long strips, marinating it for about an hour in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, grilling it, and then sprinkling it with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    you can also grill on a foreman grill. I like to chunk it and saute with onions, tomato,garlic, and some italian seasoning. yum. love zucchini.
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I also like it grilled.. but most often just slice it and eat it raw - yumm!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There are some great recipes on skinnytaste.com including baked zucchini sticks, salads, and stuffed zucchini boats.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My wife adds it to pasta sauce and it is delicious. About 2 regular sized zucchini for each jar of sauce used.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    shred it up and put it in a turkey meatlaof and it keeps it nice and moist and you get added veggies in your meal too.

low carb (Carb Quick) like a Bisquick replacement and you can shred some zucchini in it to make zucchini pancakes

sliced zucchini or ribbon it add in some crushed tomatoes and pizza spices and make it as a spaghetti alernative.

grilled is good too

long thin strips on sandwiches or in salads or on top of whole wheat pizzas
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I stir fry with zucchini all the time. I love the stuff!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I love zuccini and put it into just about anything I cook!
    Pasta sauce, casseroles, stir fries, fritatta for few examples.
    I remember my sister making a great cold zuccini curry soup, I bet you could find a recipe online.
    I've never tried grilling it, thanks for the suggestion everyone, I will try that.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I julienne it and put spaghetti sauce on it and microwave it on the reheat setting. Keeps it kinda crisp but just like spaghetti noodles al dente. Also steamed with low fat parmesan and pepper...cooked with fresh tomato and onion...grilled on skewers with other veggies...plain steamed...raw in salad...scooped out and stuffed with whatever you want! The possibilities are endless...YUMMY!
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You gave me some things to try and I have plenty to experiment with!
  • red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    Options
    I just cut up 2 zucchinis, added 2 tbsp lite butter and some garlic pepper. I saute'd them in a pan and they turned out great.

Zucchini - 52 calories
    Lite Butter - 100 calories

2 Zucchinis made a ton, I am getting full off them alone!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was in an Italian restaurant a week or so ago, and they had taken zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots, jullienned it so fine that it looked like spaghetti noodles, then steamed it and tossed it with a light, buttery herb sauce. Oh, my gosh, it was good--and I'm not normally a fan of squashes and such. It was so light, but rich, with a sweetness from the carrots. Tasty!

You can also make wonderful Catalan with Lundberg Family Farms mixed rice, low sodium tomato sauce (or make your own in the blender), fresh diced and stewed tomatoes, zucchini slices, eggplant chunks, broccoli florets, bay leaf, cilantro, and basil (and any other herbs you like!). You can add grilled chicken if you want, it's wonderful either way and not too high in calories, fat, or sodium.

Kris
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I:
    bake slices and put them on sandwiches
    slice thin strips and mix them into pasta
    chop them up super fine and mix them into sauces
    grill them and eat them plain
    slices baked in the oven with chicken or a lean sausage and a bit of olive oil

I love zucchini. And the yellow squash too. I just love squashes nom nom.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like to slice zucchini into half moons then saute lightly in olive oil. I sprinkle on some season salt and fresh ground pepper at the end. I also usually do half zucchini and half yellow squash because it's pretty. It's also good with sliced onions added, but my hubby doesn't like onions.