Weight and ab exercises?

Options
Hello! So i'm new to this site and I was wondering if anyone could share any weight exercises to do to help tone or any ab exercises that have really helped to give that burn. I try and go to the gym about four days a week and I do a lot of cardio and ab work and some weight machines, but I feel that I need to do more weight lifting and more difficult ab work. I'm 5'10 so I already feel like the tall girl in the room so my goal is not to get big (haha) but more so just to tone. So if you have any exercises that work for you please feel free to share :). Thanks!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hello! So i'm new to this site and I was wondering if anyone could share any weight exercises to do to help tone or any ab exercises that have really helped to give that burn. I try and go to the gym about four days a week and I do a lot of cardio and ab work and some weight machines, but I feel that I need to do more weight lifting and more difficult ab work. I'm 5'10 so I already feel like the tall girl in the room so my goal is not to get big (haha) but more so just to tone. So if you have any exercises that work for you please feel free to share :). Thanks!

I hurt my back a couple months ago so I have to be very careful with what I do. I found this article very recently and it absolutely will kick your butt AND it's safe on your lower back. Actually, most days my back actually feels better after doing these. I highly recommend this for anybody.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/iron_core_how_to_build_a_punchproof_body
  • nikki3337
    nikki3337 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks! I've always wanted to try more exercises with workout balls, i'm definitely going to try some of these.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    One way to really work your abs is to engage your core whenever you do ANY workout move. Your core is where it's at. I've done RevAbs and Hip Hop Abs and both focus on that method to get abs. I love RevAbs because it's also a total-body weight lifting program.

Some good moves to do are superman (lie on your belly and lift your arms and legs), leg lifts and scissor kicks, and plank.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    im looking for this kind of advice too!!!! BUMP
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thanks! I've always wanted to try more exercises with workout balls, i'm definitely going to try some of these.

No problem. This is one of those routines I love to share with all because is just so awesome. I use to do a lot of weighted cable crunches, non-weight cable crunches, with little strengthening of the core. Although I'm pretty sure they helped loosen the disc out of my lower vertebrate... Anyway, good stuff if you try it let me know what you think. Maybe I'm the only wuss that still finish all the reps on the one-legged curl balance exercise. LOL
  • nikki3337
    nikki3337 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I've never tried Revabs, but I have tried leg lifts and such. I just had a quick question, with the superman move how long are you supposed to hold the position for? Like 30 seconds at a time?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    P90X ab ripper x workout is fantastic!!!!
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I've never tried Revabs, but I have tried leg lifts and such. I just had a quick question, with the superman move how long are you supposed to hold the position for? Like 30 seconds at a time?

Im not sure, there's a couple ways to do them. My physical therapist had me do them alternating with a quick pause at the top.