Duration changes on walking/jogging?

Options
So I found a good place to walk/jog & I've been working up my jogging a bit(I'm really out of shape).

Right now my pattern is walk 3 min/jog 1min. My question is when I up the amt of time I'm jogging to say 2 min, when would it be good to start lowering the amt of time I'm walking & in what ratio?

Replies

• Teekee
    Teekee Posts: 12
    Options
    So I found a good place to walk/jog & I've been working up my jogging a bit(I'm really out of shape).

Right now my pattern is walk 3 min/jog 1min. My question is when I up the amt of time I'm jogging to say 2 min, when would it be good to start lowering the amt of time I'm walking & in what ratio?
  • akwhite
    akwhite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try this website. I just started jogging myself a couple weeks ago. It starts out pretty easy...but they say not to over do it at first or you'll get sore and frustrated and quit. I'm only on week 2 and I can already feel a difference. And I think I'm actually going to like running!

Good luck!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    This is some thing you could do. You could continue to walk for 3 then jog 2 and run for .5 min. Then keep adding to the time that you run. So lets say next month you can walk for 3 jog for 3 and run (fairly hard) for 1. Then the next month 3 walk, 3 jog, and 2 run.

The interval running/walking if very good for you.
  • Teekee
    Teekee Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the site!

I'll have to work up to a run Anna but I think that's a good plan & can set a goal for it. At the moment the minute of jogging is a big stretch for me but I hit a plateu with walking/diet so I bumped it up a bit & that seems to be helping :happy:

Many thanks to both of you!

~K.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not a runner at all. So to me a minute is a long time.