Potentially Embarrassing Question...

Options
So I have a belly and have had one all my adult life. I've carried two children to term and wasn't small to begin with. I would like to amp up the intensity of my workouts but I feel very uncomfortable running or jumping or jogging because of the belly flapping up and down. So my question to other people with big bellies that are not so big now... do you wear a girdle or something like that when you're working out intensely?

ETA both girls were born via C-Section. Don't know if that makes a difference.
ETA #2 -- I'm not talking about feeling shy or embarrassed, I'm talking about physical discomfort. It's a potentially embarrassing question for me because I have to admit that my belly flapping is a problem.

Replies

• zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    nope, i didnt care how others see me.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    it's not how others see me.. it's physically uncomfortable.
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've lost 75 pounds and I know that belly you are talking about. Usually the belly doesn't flap until I'm doing cardio bursts like mountain climbers etc. Jogging, elliptical, arc cardios are all ok with the pants that I have. I know bellies are different....Don't let the potential for embarrassment ruin your chance for even lower fat percentage....we all know that to burn fat we need intensity and that means some belly flapping.....I know that as I have lost fat percentages my flapping has lessened. Good luck and keep moving.
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I wear Spanx!!! I like how they feel and they arnt tight that you cant breath but comfortable that they hold you in. Personally i feel like i do more with them on because i feel like my body is firm if that makes scense! lol they are just briefs that go up to your bra line. i dont work out with out them.... i've had 3 kids.... so i feel you! lol
  • LLaDonna
    LLaDonna Posts: 126
    Options
    So my question to other people with big bellies that are not so big now... do you wear a girdle or something like that when you're working out intensely?

ETA both girls were born via C-Section. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I've had 4 children, two by C-section. I wear a girdle sometimes.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    I get this! I do wear snug spandex work out pants if I can. I have better luck then with loose workout clothes.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling of having pain when exercising from the bell jiggling... I use a sweatband thing and it helps me. I wrap it around my lower abdomen which is where my discomfort is so i can make it through jostling movements. The cheap ones are only fiv bucks at walmart
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I didn't care what I looked like and just grin and bared through the workouts.
  • barefootgardener
    Options
    after my second baby (which was 11 months ago) I went to wall mart in the support underwear section and bought $8 girdles (they looked like corsets kind of with out the lacing but had the wire in them.) and wore them every day for months. I had to wear to at a time though because I am 5'10" and my torso is long, they helped a lot with the post natal swelling and discomfort. I had them naturally, but I know what you mean. My stomache just HURT like i didn't have the muscles to stand up right after the second. they wer like 23 inch 9 pounders too and both 2 weeks late. AHHHHHHH! the get kind of hot feeling but it was a lot cheaper and seemed to work the same way some of the other things you find online/in specialty stores. how long since your C Section?
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I wear a Kymaro Body Shaper from after my shower to right before I go to bed, including exercise! It keeps everything 'in place', pushes my boobs up a little, & helps me to sit up more straight. I love it!
  • CodyRSweet
    CodyRSweet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I dont run or job because of being uncomfortable, so thank you for posting this question because now I am excited to run with my spanx on! I believe it will also help me feel more tone and encourage me to get the best work out in!
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 children by c-section in the last 22 months. First twins and then a singleton. But prior to that I had four children. My point is, the stomach is flapping because of the c-sections. You may have also lost muscle in your lower abdomen. That happened to me. And it makes certain workouts painful. So I can relate. It's worth googling girdles and such.

8448601.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I get this! I do wear snug spandex work out pants if I can. I have better luck then with loose workout clothes.

Me too - I wear high waisted moisture wicking spandex capris under my shorts. It holds everything in and helps hold everything in. Like you said, it's not about embarrassment, it's like running without a bra on. :)
  • jul21r
    jul21r Posts: 34
    Options
    I bought a pair of men's tight running shorts at REI. They are made with a spandex of some sort and have pockets along the legs and at your lower back. They are nice and tight ( but don't look like bike shorts) to keep my belly in tight when I run and they don't ride up my thighs! I had both problems, belly and thighs but these shorts have REALLY worked for me. I hope you find something to help you and your workouts.