Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question for people with double digit goal weights

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Just look up a height/weight chart for the info I quoted. And you can do the same thing you're telling all of us. You asked for our opinions--if you don't want them just disregard them and move onto the next one!

I asked for opinions on calories for people who have goal weights under 100 pounds, NOT opinions on whether they people think I should lose weight or not.

BTW, I looked up a height/weight chart and couldn't find the information you quoted. That is why I asked for the source.
  • Sofitness
    Sofitness Posts: 54
    1200 is basically just a random number generated for that average guy next door - it doesn't take much facts like whether you're muscular bodybuilder or tiny woman in consideration. It's a good general guide for most people to not cross the borders for healthy weight loss, but for someone else, those may be maintenance calories, and for the next person it's a point where one is starving.
    Maybe asking your doctor would be a reasonable decision, but don't get too absorbed by this number. We all are different and if you are short and small framed, I don't see anything bad with going a bit under it.
  • i_love_vinegar
    I usually don't go by formulas, I just stick under 1200 a day (but I'm 5'5"). I guess if you're only 4' 9" and wanted something formulaic L

MFP says your BMR is around 1094 C/day

MFP says my BMR is around 1435 C/day

I eat 1200 or less, a %16 difference. A 16% difference for you would be around 919 calories a day.

Thank you so much! This is the kind of information I was hoping to learn about. :smile:

Except that eating under BMR is not a good idea, particularly when you have less than 40-50 lbs to lose. You have very little fat stores for the body to supplement energy, and it won't be able to access them quickly. So eating less than BMR does not provide enough fuel for basic functions. BMR is what your body burns for basic function, as if in a coma. So unless you have a large amount of fat stores, your body will not have enough fuel to support those functions.

Oh! Thank you so much for helping me. Does that mean I should eat more than 1094 calories per day to lose weight, but less than 1200 once I reach 100 pounds? Thank you again! :Smile:

What is your activity level?

Light...I don't exercise much during the summer, and I have 3 months left. Thanks again!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    I'm going to guess (I'm above average height, so that's all it is), that these formulas either describe your BMR, if they seem really low, or are wrong, if they seem ridiculously high. Plug in an average height to those formulas, do you think an average person eats that much or that little?

Your BMR is only the amount of calories needed to keep you alive in a coma. No movement at all, only basic organ function. No matter how much you sit on your butt, you will still need significantly more nutrition than that to function on a normal basis.

I think that the formulas you included in your post may be wrong. I'm 5'8, by that formula, I could maintain my current weight and still eat 3075 calories, which is just not gonna happen. If I eat that, I will gain weight. Maybe not noticeably within a week, but a month of eating like that, yeah, I'm gonna put on some weight.

I know the 1200 calories minimum is based on the idea that to get all of your required vitamins and minerals, other nutrients, etc. needed to maintain and build your body cells, you would have to eat a certain amount of food. Everybody, regardless of size, needs X amount of vitamin c (or whatever) to keep functioning, so to eat all of your vitamin c, and iron, vitamin a, etc.etc. blah blah blah, you'd need to eat a certain amount, and theoretically, you can't eat less than 1200 calories and still get your needed nutrients.

So, if you are significantly smaller than average, and there's no way you can eat that much, then you have to look at other options. Along with a multivitamin, you probably want to add some other vitamin supplements that aren't usually put in multivitamins at high levels. Or you may want to add a protein shake or ensure (or something like it) to your diet for added calories and protein.

If you have the opposite problem and you can eat plenty, but need to net a ridiculously low amount of calories, well, then you get to work out. The good news is, the more you workout, the better your metabolism is, so its not like you have to work out 8 hours a day for the rest of your life.

Once your body gets used to a routine, it will tend to function in a generally stable way that works with that routine. At some point, when you've been working out regularly for a while, and your bodies gotten used to your workout routine and your diet, your weight should stabilize in the healthy range of the BMI chart. (of course, depending on your muscle mass, BMI may not be accurate, so check with your doctor for his/her professional opinion)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    id say for your height, youll certainly be fine on a lower number than the average for weightloss. Considering they put me on 1200 for weightloss and im 5ft 6. They dont "let" you go lower than 1200 on MFP at all though, so it might be worth trying to set your own goals.

What is your average intake at the moment, and are you losing on it?
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Please either offer advice or leave.

:noway: That isn't a particularly nice comment is it? People are showing concern and giving you their opinion/advice, but when they're stating something you don't want to hear, you are just being rude in return...
  • i_love_vinegar
    I'm going to guess (I'm above average height, so that's all it is), that these formulas either describe your BMR, if they seem really low, or are wrong, if they seem ridiculously high. Plug in an average height to those formulas, do you think an average person eats that much or that little?

Your BMR is only the amount of calories needed to keep you alive in a coma. No movement at all, only basic organ function. No matter how much you sit on your butt, you will still need significantly more nutrition than that to function on a normal basis.

I think that the formulas you included in your post may be wrong. I'm 5'8, by that formula, I could maintain my current weight and still eat 3075 calories, which is just not gonna happen. If I eat that, I will gain weight. Maybe not noticeably within a week, but a month of eating like that, yeah, I'm gonna put on some weight.

I know the 1200 calories minimum is based on the idea that to get all of your required vitamins and minerals, other nutrients, etc. needed to maintain and build your body cells, you would have to eat a certain amount of food. Everybody, regardless of size, needs X amount of vitamin c (or whatever) to keep functioning, so to eat all of your vitamin c, and iron, vitamin a, etc.etc. blah blah blah, you'd need to eat a certain amount, and theoretically, you can't eat less than 1200 calories and still get your needed nutrients.

So, if you are significantly smaller than average, and there's no way you can eat that much, then you have to look at other options. Along with a multivitamin, you probably want to add some other vitamin supplements that aren't usually put in multivitamins at high levels. Or you may want to add a protein shake or ensure (or something like it) to your diet for added calories and protein.

If you have the opposite problem and you can eat plenty, but need to net a ridiculously low amount of calories, well, then you get to work out. The good news is, the more you workout, the better your metabolism is, so its not like you have to work out 8 hours a day for the rest of your life.

Once your body gets used to a routine, it will tend to function in a generally stable way that works with that routine. At some point, when you've been working out regularly for a while, and your bodies gotten used to your workout routine and your diet, your weight should stabilize in the healthy range of the BMI chart. (of course, depending on your muscle mass, BMI may not be accurate, so check with your doctor for his/her professional opinion)

Thank you so much! I never even thought to plug in information for other heights :smile: I didn't realize the 1,200 calories was due to vitamins, so I will make sure to take a daily vitamin...I have been force feeding myself (I was able to eat 3,000+ calories per day during my bad time because I was basically living off chocolate, twinkies, white gummy bear Jamba Juice smoothies, potato chips, gallons of whole milk etc). Now that I cut out the junk food, I have been having to force feed myself.

I have always wanted to try protein shakes as well...and I didn't know working out helped metabolism without working out. Thank you!!! So helpful :smile:
  • i_love_vinegar
    Please either offer advice or leave.

:noway: That isn't a particularly nice comment is it? People are showing concern and giving you their opinion/advice, but when they're stating something you don't want to hear, you are just being rude in return...

Sorry, it is because I didn't ask for advice on whether I should lose weight or not. I asked for advice on formulas vs the 1,200 recommendation since when going under 100 pounds it tends to change. It's like if you go into Best Buy asking to see the DVD players and the sales associate takes you to look at Ipads. :laugh:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    I usually don't go by formulas, I just stick under 1200 a day (but I'm 5'5"). I guess if you're only 4' 9" and wanted something formulaic L

I eat 1200 or less, a %16 difference. A 16% difference for you would be around 919 calories a day.

Thank you so much! This is the kind of information I was hoping to learn about. :smile:

Except that eating under BMR is not a good idea, particularly when you have less than 40-50 lbs to lose. You have very little fat stores for the body to supplement energy, and it won't be able to access them quickly. So eating less than BMR does not provide enough fuel for basic functions. BMR is what your body burns for basic function, as if in a coma. So unless you have a large amount of fat stores, your body will not have enough fuel to support those functions.

Oh! Thank you so much for helping me. Does that mean I should eat more than 1094 calories per day to lose weight, but less than 1200 once I reach 100 pounds? Thank you again! :Smile:

Light...I don't exercise much during the summer, and I have 3 months left. Thanks again!

Ok, with lightly active, here is your info:

BMR - 1124 (There are a couple of different BMR formulas, MFP uses one that is considered the most accurate. But they are all estimates - none can give you an exact number, but it should be pretty close.)

Maintenance cals - 1545

250 Deficit from maintenance- 1295

Sooo... I would try to keep your daily cals between 1124 and 1295. Then, of course, if you exercise you will need more. With as little as you have to lose, you want to be eating at least 50-75% of your exercise cals, and preferably close to 100%. Try to use the best burn numbers you can (use an HRM if possible.)

Try this for at least a month. When you're small, and have very little to lose, it will be slow. Give it time to work and remember to use measurements, not just the scale. :wink:
  • suzycreamcheese
    i think people mis-read your height tbh
  • i_love_vinegar
    id say for your height, youll certainly be fine on a lower number than the average for weightloss. Considering they put me on 1200 for weightloss and im 5ft 6. They dont "let" you go lower than 1200 on MFP at all though, so it might be worth trying to set your own goals.

I am on 1,200 by force-feeding, and I lost weight initially...but not the past few days. I haven't been dieting enough to be certain...I just know my stomach hurts. :/
  • i_love_vinegar

I am on 1,200 by force-feeding, and I lost weight initially...but not the past few days. I haven't been dieting enough to be certain...I just know my stomach hurts. :/
  • suzycreamcheese
    what is your goal weight?
  • i_love_vinegar

Ok, with lightly active, here is your info:

BMR - 1124 (There are a couple of different BMR formulas, MFP uses one that is considered the most accurate. But they are all estimates - none can give you an exact number, but it should be pretty close.)

Maintenance cals - 1545

250 Deficit from maintenance- 1295

Sooo... I would try to keep your daily cals between 1124 and 1295. Then, of course, if you exercise you will need more. With as little as you have to lose, you want to be eating at least 50-75% of your exercise cals, and preferably close to 100%. Try to use the best burn numbers you can (use an HRM if possible.)

Try this for at least a month. When you're small, and have very little to lose, it will be slow. Give it time to work and remember to use measurements, not just the scale. :wink:

Thank you so much! I'll stick to 1124...I can't take it anymore haha xD Thank you again! You are truly wonderful. I really appreciate it!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ladyhawk00

Give your body time to adjust to the increase in intake (as I recall from another thread, you just recently started eating more.) Within a few days to a week, it should become easier, and your appetite will improve.

Remember too, you don't have to have a lot of volume if you choose nutrient dense foods. Healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters, and avocados are a great way to increase cals without a lot of extra food. Also, milk, protein shakes/bars (good ones without too much sugar) and fruit smoothies are a good way to increase cals, as drinking can be easier than eating when you aren't hungry.
  • i_love_vinegar
    what is your goal weight?

Hi! My goal weight is around 85-90 pounds. I used to easily be 90-99 pounds a couple years ago, but I ate a lot of candy and excess dairy (around 1000 calories per day in just candy and milk alone).

Since I am trying to become healthier and cut out the excess candy/dairy, if I get down to ~85 pounds without problem, then I will stay there...I don't really want to go under 85 though. ^.^
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Did anyone look at her pics? A strong wind would blow her away.
  • i_love_vinegar

Give your body time to adjust to the increase in intake (as I recall from another thread, you just recently started eating more.) Within a few days to a week, it should become easier, and your appetite will improve.

Remember too, you don't have to have a lot of volume if you choose nutrient dense foods. Healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters, and avocados are a great way to increase cals without a lot of extra food. Also, milk, protein shakes/bars (good ones without too much sugar) and fruit smoothies are a good way to increase cals, as drinking can be easier than eating when you aren't hungry.

Thank you again. I really appreciate it. I love avocado, but never even thought to eat it. :smile: You are awesome!!!
  • ladyhawk00

The only pic of her is the one on her profile, of her face. The others are someone else. She is not underweight for her height.
  • i_love_vinegar

Only one photo is mine -- and it is only my face. :sick: Sorry, but I am going to have to report your post. Your comments are uncalled for.