Obliques?

Options
Does anybody have an exercise that focuses mainly on the abs, and strongly works the obliques?
Something that I can work into a routine, or even do watching the TV, with no extra equipment??

What results should I respect, How many reps.. etc. etc! (:

PLEASE AND THANKYOU x

Replies

• JnC786
    JnC786 Posts: 1
    Options
    A good starter exercise is side bend using the cable machine, if you do not have access to a machine then use dumbbells. Also, you can use resistance band for the "twist" exercise, this one is a bit more advance and will cause more burn :).
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Lie on your back with your upper body curled up just enough to get your lower back firmly anchored to the ground. Hands behind head, elbows wide. Knees up and shins parallel to the ground. Twist from your waist (you have to do this consciously or your body will want to go the easy route by using your neck and arms) to bring your right elbow to your left knee while extending your right leg. Then do the other side. Repeat until you can't anymore ;)
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    30 day shred
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You can grab weights in one hand. Then let your arm hang down to your side while holding onto the weight. Lift the weight, not with your hand but bending from side to side while focusing on your obliques. Taught to me by a trainer.

Another good exercise is to use the pulley machine. Hold your arms out straight, grab the cable and turn with your torso while keeping your arms straight.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    ever heard of wacky jacks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDr_EVKxEws

good luck!
  • AmyBlu12
    AmyBlu12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack. Amazing!
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love wacky jacks we do this in water aerobics!!
  • melindalamb
    Options
    Knee Lifts with a Twist
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You can also search www.runnersworld.com site for core and abdominal workouts. They have a large library of various strengthening and stretching exercises... not just for runners :-)