CARBS!

Options
Wow so I'm trying to stay away from the carbs....are you kiddin me:noway: ....there are so many carbs in everything! So what the heck can I eat thats simple to make but yet has very few carbs?? Anyone have any good suggestions??

Replies

• Jeffner40
    Options
    Wow so I'm trying to stay away from the carbs....are you kiddin me:noway: ....there are so many carbs in everything! So what the heck can I eat thats simple to make but yet has very few carbs?? Anyone have any good suggestions??
  • Medleeglen
    Options
    Fruit and fish/seafood are the only things I can find. Just be careful of canned fruit, as it has more sugars in it than fresh fruit does. Dieting sucks.
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    try 40 - 30 - 30... 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protien...
    ONLY eat GOOD carbs... whole grain / NON processed... i.e fresh fruits, whole grain rice...

you have to have some carbs... you wont be successful long term if you cut em completely...
  • jnb0203
    jnb0203 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    See I'm curious about carbs too. I eat a lot of raw veggies and fruits during the day. And the fruits have a lot of carbs in them so nearly everyday I go over my carbs set by MFP. What should I do as well? I mean I do get some carbs from other foods, but mainly from my fruits.
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    beef jerkey- but watch the sodium! any kind of meat - lunch meat is great in pure form - like ham turkey, roast beef -- but not bologna or anything like it!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    When "watching carbs" eliminate the processed ones. Whole grains, raw veggies, cooked veggies, the common sense choices are good for you. White breads, Twinkies, candy, and chips should be limited.

I suggest picking up the South Beach Diet book, if you're watching your carbs. It carves out a lifestyle that is acutally do-able. Plus, it has reciepes and explains the differences between carbs, proteins, fats, etc.

It's in paperback for $13 at Walmart...

:flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    try 40 - 30 - 30... 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protien...
    ONLY eat GOOD carbs... whole grain / NON processed... i.e fresh fruits, whole grain rice...

you have to have some carbs... you wont be successful long term if you cut em completely...

Exactly! Carbs are like fats, you need them to be healthy, but you need to have the RIGHT ones to be healthy.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Are you really trying to stay away from carbs or are you trying to cut out simple carbs. Simple carbs are sugar, white bread, white rice etc. They aren't healthy and I think they are somewhat addictive. However, carbs also include whole grains and fruits and veggies.....those ya gotta have. To cut them out of your diet would be nutritiously unsound.

Now, if you're trying to cut out bread and rice, etc. I have to admit, that's hard. When I first tried to jump start this healthy lifestyle I cut out all "white" food. I wasn't allowed white bread, rice, potatos etc. I only did it for a couple weeks, just to focus my mind. I still avoid white bread but I'm allowed the other stuff, in moderation. I substituted a lot of veggies for the breads and rice. I actually found that it was easier than I thought. I added a lot of variety and was actually able to eat more food because I'd cut out some high calorie choices.
  • Jeffner40
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! They are all very helpful! :happy: I think I will get that book though to help. Trying to eat better is hard when you are feeding a family. So hopefully I can find things for the family also. Thanks again everyone!!!!!!:smooched:
  • Jeffner40
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! They are all very helpful! :happy: I think I will get that book though to help. Trying to eat better is hard when you are feeding a family. So hopefully I can find things for the family also. Thanks again everyone!!!!!!:smooched:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Carbs are great, you need them! Just cut out the simple ones (found in junk food) and keep the complex (found in healthy food). It's kind of a no brainer with eating healthfully, honestly, carbs found in carrots, bananas, or any natural whole food are fine. Carbs in Twinkies-not fine.
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I used to be a carb “nut” on and off over the years it worked but became very boring after a while. Now I only really pay attention to the calorie counter and it usually is within the suggestion set up by MFP.

Be sure and weigh and/or measure everything, my eye was much larger that actual amount :noway:

Wishing you much success :drinker:
  • mendod
    mendod Posts: 10
    Options
    Sabes2631 said, "40 - 30 - 30... 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protien... " I don't know how many calories this is in a day. Say I am on a 1600 a day calorie diet, this number includes my exercise calories.

Am I supposed to have
    640 calories of Carbs - whole grains, veggie, fruit
    480 calories of fat - olive oil, nuts
    480 calories of Protien - fish, chicken, lean meat
    Is that right?
  • sabes2631
    Options
    When you set your goals, go to the page where you can set your percentages... MFP will do it for you...
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    Is old fashioned oatmeal good carbs?:huh:
  • sabes2631
    Options
    i think so. i had quaker oats this morning... with all natural maple syrup. not the processed kind.