scared to work out alone?

Options
Hey everyone, for some reason i get scared to work out alone, like going to the gym or even going for a walk in my own neighborhood, not literally scared but like if you gym buddy cancels with me then i just dont go because i dont like going alone. Anyone know a reason for this or maybe can help me get over this?

Replies

• maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i prefer to work out by myself. I had people in the past bail out on me but you know, thats their problem. I can do what I want, whatever i want, for how ever long I want without worrying about my workout buddy. Yes its nice to have that person being their to encourage and push you through the workout, but i found that the gym members, trainers our outdoor runners are just as good or better than being with someone.

with that said, get your gym shoes on and get out there and work out!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I love goin to the gym by myself. I've gone to the gym with friends and all they wanna do is talk. Which is okay if you are just goin for a walk. Walkin I enjoy doin with a friend or alone. But running. Well, running is something I need a friend to do with me. For compition purposes and to keep each other goin. Unless if it's just hill training then that I don't mind doin alone.

I think that once you go on your own you will realize you don't need someone with you. It's just takin that step. Especially if you are new to that specific gym. Trust me if you went alone and kept busy then you will get a good workout and be proud of yourself and not need someone with you.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Having a buddy always helps but going alone has its advantages. You never have to wait or get stood up or change your schedule. Basically, as long as you feel safe, just doing it over and over should get you more comfortable with going alone. Good luck!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym alone. That is MY time!! No work, no stress, just peace and quiet. I plug myself into my iPod and walk that treadmill and lift my weights. Think of it as your time to mediate. Once you go a few times alone, you will see that it is peaceful, serene, and you get things accomplished without interruptions.

Pam
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem and a few of my family joined the same gym so I thought good Ill have workout buddies....well Im the only one that wants to go so I had to overcome that and stop using it as my excuse and go and at first I would not go if they canceled but then realized my weight was going to stay the same if I kept it up....hopefully before long they will see my progress and jump on board so now I just put my music on and ignore everyone in the gym or If I cant get to the gym I work out to dvds at home or take my dog a walk. Good Luck, while its nice to workout with people its not always possible and if your paying for a membership take advantage of it and just go
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone-it's part of my "me" time, which I don't get much of these days...and what everybody else has said is true too, no one to wait for or that wants to chat/socialize more than work out hard.

I think that if you can push yourself to go a time or two, you might just get used to it....I think sometimes we make up reasons in our head. But if we push through, we find it's not so bad. And who knows, you may even enjoy it in time.

Just my thoughts.

You can do it.

:smile:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I was like that..up until this past week. My thought is I want to do this..and I have to at some point stop leaning on others..and get the drive to do it on my own..so I now go...regardless of who is with me..

You are doing it for yourself....eventuall you will be able to go by yourself. try and search the member database to see if there are any MFPers who are in your area who will help keep you motivated..and join you at the gym
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I don't always like the idea of going to the gym alone either.
    I think part of it is due to having low self-esteem & lack of self confidence. (in my case anyway).
    Attitude (positive or negative) also has a part in it. If we usually go to the gym with a partner
    and they don't go, we'll stay home. What we should do is make up our minds to go anyway.
    Part of any battle is won in the mind--it's in the choices that we make.
    It might be hard at first but if you usually go with a buddy and they don't go, make the choice to go anyway.
    We're only hurting our own attempt at success when we don't go to they gym because our buddy isn't going.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I work out at home now and I love it. For the past week I just started to go walking at a local park track alone. As for me it was because I was always uncomfortable with myself and how others would see me. Now that Im more happier with myself and body Im not ashamed (afraid) anymore to work out in "public"
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I can't do it without my buddy/sister. It's stupid when I think about it, cause we go, get on our machines, put headphones on and go. It's not like we talk, or need each other once the shoes are on.

We do have an awesome system though. Guilt. She picks me up from work and we go. She can't cancel, cause she knows I am waiting for a ride and I can't cancel cause I don't want to just use her for a ride.

In your case, I think once you do a week of just going, you'll be fine. We can learn any habit, we just have to choose which one.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love working out alone esp since I've never had reliable work out friends and I have such a complicated schedule. Working out is best when u are focused on working out. Friends like to talk and chat too much.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to not wanting to go to the gym alone. I wouldn't go swimming alone either. That's why I work out outside. I'm happy, if not happier, to go for a run, cycle, hike alone. I do find having company (especially male company) makes me push myself harder though. I went for a hike with a good guy mate today, we got to the top and decided to go further. Alone, I would have gone straight back down again.
  • bikerchick2
    bikerchick2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like this when I was new to the gym and didn't know anyone there. Give yourself some time, you'll meet people there and make some friends. If they have them at your gym, group fitnesses classes are a great way to get to know people. Just remember this may take some time. Actullally, having a fitness buddy may be keeping you from making friends. Does she have friends there? Does she introduce you to her.

But maybe you need to look for a new gym. Maybe the one you're going to is just too intimidating. I've belonged to 4 gyms over the years. 2 of them were full of giant muscle builder types (I'm sure some of them were on steroids) and 2 of them were more family oriented places. People were much friendlier and the atmosphere was much friendlier. In addition to the gyms, I have also gone to 2 exercise studios (for aerobic exercise classes)... those were great & I never felt uncomfortable going alone because within 2 weeks time I seemed to know everbody there. And I am not a particularly outgoing person, actually I'm a little shy.

As for going for a walk alone, I don't know were you live or how safe it is, but maybe your fears are justified. Maybe if your fears are justified, you could take a martial arts class or invest in a can of mace.

By the way, I have never had a workout buddy, I prefer to go it alone because I think that way I focus on exactly what I need to do for ME.

Good luck in overcoming your obstacles to fitness!
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love working out alone esp since I've never had reliable work out friends and I have such a complicated schedule. Working out is best when u are focused on working out. Friends like to talk and chat too much.

I agree, I've had so many workout partners in the past. Now its just better if I tackle my workouts alone, I get a lot more done.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I agree, I've had so many workout partners in the past. Now its just better if I tackle my workouts alone, I get a lot more done.

I preferred to workout alone as my boyfriend doesn't like doing the workouts that I like to do as I don't like his work outs.
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It can be natural, especially to worry about working out alone outdoors. We all hear stories about people attacking women jogging or walking alone, especially at night. I have a co-worker I used to run with, and she refused to go running on the trail if I wasn't going with her because it "went under bridges where someone could grab me." Mind you we were talking about broad daylight.

So it can be natural to have such fears, either consciously or unconsciously. If you want to work out on your own, you might invest in some pepper spray and/or take some self defense classes to develop your self-confidence and learn tactics to reduce your chance of being a victim.

As a side note, dogs make excellent exercise companions when it comes to running/walking - they never bail out on you, and they certainly can make a predator think twice!
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    I totally understand this feeling, although I have to go alone all the time now. My former running partner moved away and I don't really want to try to find someone else. I feel uncomfortable going to the Movies alone, although I see lots of older people sitting alone now. I think when I was younger it felt like I wasn't successful socially if I didn't have someone with me. I haven't had to go alone much lately, but would if I had to. My wife likes the same movies as me, so we usually go together. We realized that it doesn't matter if anyone is next to you or not, you do the same thing. We sometimes now go to separate movies that start and end at the same time. My wife is disabled and doesn't work out, so I do that alone.

In hindsight, I actually missed more workouts, listened to drivel I really didn't like, and quit running when I had a partner. Things came up in their lives that wouldn't have affected me. I try to keep my life simple so I can avoid having "emergencies" but not everyone is the same. I am now thinking of starting to run again (after gaining 60 lbs), and from now on I am doing it alone.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I totally get this.

Even tonight my bf is going out with friends and so i'm contemplating going to the gym however i'm scared of going alone. I do not know what the fear is, i know what my goal is and i know how the machines work. Even when my bf and i go together we don't talk much. I usually stick on cardio while he does weights but he does sometimes makes me do weights with him too.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I go the gym alone, and I honestly feel too self-conscious most of the time to get a good workout. However, my gym is a university gym where all students have membership through mandatory student fees. Not to say that there aren't serious people working out sometimes, but after midmorning it's big groups muscley dudes standing around talking (and flexing) to tiny girls in perfect hair and makeup and $300 lululemon outfits. None of them really working out even if they're on the machines. I feel insecure getting actually sweaty in my grungey clothes with all that going on. Obviously my solution is to go in first thing in the morning, but urg. Morning. And I don't really like going with friends, because I'm insecure about being horribly out of shape.

On the other hand, my boyfriend has finally agreed to go with me! I think it'll be easier to ignore the crowds and feel good working out with him. =)
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Since I don't drive I like to have many gym buddies. At the moment I have about three people who have joined my gym because of me. However they are all flakes! So I have gone a couple of times on my own, but what I did was buy 30 day shred to do a home so I feel like I am doing something instead of nothing. I bought it for the days they cancel on me.
    Today I went to the gym in the morning to do a class that I haven't been able to do yet and wanted to do. I did four classes all by myself so maybe I will be more likely to go to the gym by myself.

Any little exercise you can do is, good whether it's alone or not, indoors or outdoors. Plus, check out the topic by the ex marine, he has different work outs you can do almost with just your body, so you can do them at home if you'd like :]