Small, Medium or Large...frame size?

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
Hello everyone; there's a question that I've been stewing on and just can't figure out.

Estimates about ideal weights for each height are greatly impacted by said person's "frame size". How is this determined?! I guess part of me thinks that frame size is determined by weight, not the other way around?

Anyway. I'm pretty pear-y. What does this make me?

Replies

• bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this as well
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    One way is by wrist size. Can your thumb and middle finger touch around your wrist? If they do not touch you are "large frame", if they do touch you are "medium frame", if they overlap you are "small frame". However, I don't think this way is overly accurate since I know I don't have a small frame lol
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    They go by your wrist measurements. Here is a site you can check out.
    http://www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html

I come out to having a large frame.
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    I don't think frame size is determined by weight at all.. I've got a large frame.. always have.. Even when I was 5'8 and 125 lbs..
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I am large framed - or as my doctor so kindly puts it "Made for birthin' babies" LOL! I have large bones and wide hips : ( The problem with this is that every pound shows. Makes me wanna cry! :sad: I also wear a size 10 or 11 shoe depending on the store...NOT good! My doctor told me I am large framed so I guess you could always check with your doctor if you have questions? :flowerforyou:
  • angelecremona
    Options
    Frame size is determined by the wrist size
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    frame size is determined by bone size and structure... so if you put your point finger and thumb around you wrist comfortably ( don't squeeze them:

they over lap- your a small frame
    barely touch- your a medium frame
    don't touch at all, your a large frame
  • justimogen
    justimogen Posts: 76
    Options
    I am also confused by this. I have read the wrist size guidelines, but my wrist size changes with the amount of weight I am carrying.

I believe I was once able to overlap my fingers just a bit around my wrist, but I was about 10. :tongue:

I know my fingers were able to touch at some point in adulthood, so I am going with "medium."
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My wrist is about 1/4 inch wider than my 6.5 year old daughter's wrist. I have a small frame.

The problem with the fingers measuring the wrist is that some people have long fingers and some people have short fingers. Go with the wrist circumference reference that Amandanoralynn posted - MUCH more accurate than your own fingers.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

Keep in mind all frames are not created equal - a medium frame on one person might look completely different on another. For example, i have a larger rib cage than standard, but am still in the "medium" frame range by wrist size. :)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Here's a neat little calculator that takes elbow breadth into consideration as well as wrist measurement:

http://www.icb2001.com/What_You_Should_Weigh.asp
  • ember34
    ember34 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The site I just found uses elbow size. Here's the link: http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm#frame

I am large frame using the wrist method and medium frame (just barely) using the elbow method. I think I will ask my doctor at my next check up though!
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good body frame calculator.
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

It uses your wrist circumference and your elbow breadth compared to your height.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    One way is by wrist size. Can your thumb and middle finger touch around your wrist? If they do not touch you are "large frame", if they do touch you are "medium frame", if they overlap you are "small frame". However, I don't think this way is overly accurate since I know I don't have a small frame lol

I'd have to say I agree, because that info can change. For example, 6 months ago when I started MFP, my tumb and finger could just touch (medium frame), now my thumb overlaps my finger. So....I don't think the finger touch is the most accurate.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,710 Member
    Options
    I wonder if those calculations are accurate for every body. I ask because I don't have a very typical build. I have small wrists, long fingers, narrow hips, but a large ribcage and broad shoulders. I'm like an inverted pear. :tongue: All the calculations say I have a small frame, which seems right for most of me, but not my upper body. I wear size 4 pants, but my 36-something bra is snug. I can wear a medium sleeveless top, but if it has shoulders/sleeves in it, I usually have to wear a large and sometimes XL. I just wonder if freaks like me are the exception to the rule?
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    If you don't know you probably have a medium frame. People usually know if they have a small frame and definitely know if their frame is large. I have a friend with a small frame. She's 5'2" and likes to be around 115. She says that she looks really big at 130 but her sister who has a large frame looks great at 150. I'm 5'6". I have a large frame. The smallest weight I have been in my adult life is 132. I had bones popping out everywhere. It was not a healthy weight for me. I like to be around 145. I have another friend who weighs 105. I would absolutely be anorexic at that weight. She looks tiny but definitely not anorexic. That is how frame affects weight.
  • angelecremona
    Options
    Ithis is quite right

frame size is determined by bone size and structure... so if you put your point finger and thumb around you wrist comfortably ( don't squeeze them:

they over lap- your a small frame
    barely touch- your a medium frame
    don't touch at all, your a large frame
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I wonder if those calculations are accurate for every body. I ask because I don't have a very typical build. I have small wrists, long fingers, narrow hips, but a large ribcage and broad shoulders. I'm like an inverted pear. :tongue: All the calculations say I have a small frame, which seems right for most of me, but not my upper body. I wear size 4 pants, but my 36-something bra is snug. I can wear a medium sleeveless top, but if it has shoulders/sleeves in it, I usually have to wear a large and sometimes XL. I just wonder if freaks like me are the exception to the rule?

P Jilly: Same here, I have tiny wrists, feet, long thin fingers, narrow hips but a really broad back and big ribcage. I'm 2 sizes bigger on the top than the bottom.
    I'm hoping with a bit more work this will translate to a nice athletic looking body like yours in your profile pic rather than the big ol' man back I'm seeing right now :laugh:
    Your pic has given me hope, thanks :smile:
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Go get your fat measured by Dexa scan, hydrostatic weighing or bod pod. You will know your lean body mass. From there you can realize how low you can go (12-20% body fat for athletic, 20-26% for fit , etc.)

I thought my goal weight of 126lbs was good until I found my lean body mass to be 125lbs. There is no way I could get down to less than 1% body fat...