Please don't flame me but I have got to ask....

Options
2»

Replies

• Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I totally agree with ane appreciate this post. I am baffled by the people on here who are constantly on a diet that cannot be maintained for any period of time. Isn't is common sense that you wiill gain back all that you lose as soon as you get back to normal. Why not adopt a way of eating better that can last a lifetime? It might not come off as quick, but it's definitely gonna stay off a lot better.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I agree whole-heartedly.
    Starvation diets are only good for one thing.... turning around and biting you in the butt.
    Because you end up bingeing & gaining weight back.
    The key to weight-loss and maintenance is a healthy balance of diet (not dieting--eating habits) and fitness.

It makes me wonder if these people are paying attention to their BMR? (check the tools tab)
    Your BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day — basically, how many calories you burn just to stay alive. If they're near/nearing their weight loss goal and they're eating below their BMR, bad things can happen.

Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels. During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily free fatty acids from body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.[2]
    Ordinarily, the body responds to reduced caloric intake by burning fat reserves first, and only consumes muscle and other tissues when those reserves are exhausted.[citation needed] Specifically, the body burns fat after first exhausting the contents of the digestive tract along with glycogen reserves stored in muscle and liver cells.[3] After prolonged periods of starvation, the body will utilize the proteins within muscle tissue as a fuel source. People who practice fasting on a regular basis, such as those adhering to caloric restricted diets, can prime their bodies to abstain from food without burning lean tissue.[4]. Resistance training (such as weight lifting) can also prevent the loss of muscle mass while a person is caloric restricted.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I like fluffy clouds
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I like fluffy clouds

Me too. They remind me of cotton candy. Mmmmm cotton candy....
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    *sigh*

dont worry yourself with THEM. worry yourself about YOU. if YOU dont eat this way, then YOU have no worries.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

dont worry yourself with THEM. worry yourself about YOU. if YOU dont eat this way, then YOU have no worries.

I TOO like to use CAPS lock for EMPHASIS.
  • StarArly
    StarArly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 900-1500(on bad days). When I get near 1500 I feel as if I am going to thrown up I am so full. But I am Tiny I'm only 4'11. So eating that is probably all I need. I can't eat more because when I do I simply steadily gain weight. Only when I stick to 1000 calories am I am able to maintain my weight.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I believe I have tried every "diet" known to man, and being "older", there have been a lot of them. The only one that works is - calories in, calories out. If you don't move or breathe, 800 to 900 may be the right amount for you. I've tried the very low intake in my youth, and yes, I lost weight, but put it right back on. This is not a "diet", this is a lifestyle, a journey, and the body needs nutrition to function and be healthy. That, coupled with exercise, which doesn't have to be obsessive, will help to lose weight and maintain that health.
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    I dont think it is bad by any means to eat 900 - 1200 cals a day. Alot of people freak out about not eating enough, etc..Lots of people freak out about not eating enough because of working out etc... The majority of people are not atheletes and they dont play professional sports. They are desk jockeys or regular job people and in reality to be able to lose 1-2lbs per week (which is medically recommended) an average girl for example needs to cut calories 500 - 1000 cals per day to achieve some kind of result. How does one do that? There is really no choice in that matter but to cut calories.

It all depends on you. If you feel OK, and are healthy and are not experiencing any health issues and blood work is monitored time to time, who is anyone to tell that person to eat more? Makes no sense to me. if i works in the long run and you are able to maintain weight loss (which IMO is even more impoirtant than losing it in the first place), it shouldnt be an issue for someone to eat 1000 cals a day.
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is bad by any means to eat 900 - 1200 cals a day. Alot of people freak out about not eating enough, etc..Lots of people freak out about not eating enough because of working out etc... The majority of people are not atheletes and they dont play professional sports. They are desk jockeys or regular job people and in reality to be able to lose 1-2lbs per week (which is medically recommended) an average girl for example needs to cut calories 500 - 1000 cals per day to achieve some kind of result. How does one do that? There is really no choice in that matter but to cut calories.

It all depends on you. If you feel OK, and are healthy and are not experiencing any health issues and blood work is monitored time to time, who is anyone to tell that person to eat more? Makes no sense to me. if i works in the long run and you are able to maintain weight loss (which IMO is even more impoirtant than losing it in the first place), it shouldnt be an issue for someone to eat 1000 cals a day.

Thing is I said 800-900 calories, not 1000 (not that 1000 is much better). It is not my place to tell others to eat more nor did I try too. My question is why would people really think it was sustainable. Trust me starvation mode is not a myth, and I am not uneducated on health and wellness as I am currently getting my BSN in nursing. It just baffles me the people who continue to promote and give advice on the thread that is totally uneducated (not that they are uneducated people, however truly uneducated on proper weight loss nutrition), unsafe, and not healthy!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Yes, I do. Because I am my mother's daughter, and I'm genetically predisposed to worry about people.

I hate to see people suffer. I hate to see people hurt themselves. I hate to see people set them up to fail.

So maybe, just maybe, by saying, "Hey, I did that, too, and it didn't work for me, either, but here's what did..." might start some wheels in motion for someone.

I run a dating advice site. When someone's posting about a being in an abusive relationship, we advise them to get the hell out of it. A person having a dysfunctional relationship with food and/or their body is no different than being in a dysfunctional relationship with someone.

I'm not saying "My way is the only way." I'm just saying that it's not supposed to be that hard. Good relationships run almost effortlessly. Good eating plans work the same way. There's no need for struggle.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i think they can do what they like tbh.
    We're all grown ups here.
  • mizare
    mizare Posts: 5
    Options
    so, if you do exercise, is it ok to eat more? I try to not eat my exercised calories- is that the right thing to do?

I'm five foot four and worry that the 1100 calories I eat is too much for my height if I want to lose weight? I eat mostly vegetables (hardly ever eat meat) and they aren't many calories. I always feel hideously guilty for going over my calorie limit. I try and make good choices, but don't know if what I enter is the right amount (as I make things myself I don't trust the calories it says it contains sometimes) and although I'm losing, I wonder if I'm losing enough?