Protein, when is too much TOO much???

Options
2»

Replies

• TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I eat between 100-130 grams of protein daily......needed to build muscle. Actually I could and probably should eat more but I like to get other nutrients in my diet too. And yes, if you exercise and especially if you're trying to build muscle or "tone" up, you should eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of actual body weight. :flowerforyou:

Eating protein does not increase muscle building or mass sorry. My macro's are 50C/25P/25F. Some opt for 40C/30F/30P (zone diet).

http://www.lifeed.ucla.edu/documents/CHS19Bulkingup.CommonlyaskedQsandAs.pdf

If your a body builder you should consume .8g per lb of body weight or less .4g per pound for a sedentary person.You should never consume more then 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight ever. Excess protein consumption is not a healthy practice Good Luck!

1. If I were to do the zone diet and set my protein levels as 30%, then my protein intake would exceed 0.8 grams per lbs of BW if I were to set calories at maintenance levels.

2. The exact amount of protein that is OPTIMAL is a subject of great debate.... Posting a 3-year old study doesn't suddenly 'settle' this hotly contested area of nutritional science.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Also, after re-reading that article, I just realized how idiotic the information is. Here is a quote from the article:

"In theory, you will gain 1 pound per week by eating 3500". OK, apparently the person who wrote the article does not understand that a pound of muscle is not 3500 calories? Most mass gains will be a combination of fat and muscle....the ratios depending on a multitude of things like training, genetics, diet, starting point lean-ness, etc. But it's never 3500 calories to add a pound of mass unless your goal is to add 100% fat.