Looking for a Low Cal Rice and Bean Recipe

hippiebea
hippiebea Posts: 13 Member
I love rice and beans. But I've noticed beans are full calories while being very healthy. Can anyone suggest a Louisiana style rice and bean recipe (using red and black beans)? Thanks!

Replies

• ladyluck5210
    ladyluck5210 Posts: 78 Member
    Not too sure about the cals on this... but my sis made some black eyed peas with rice. Super good. She added some turkey from a smoked turkey leg to it *optional* and then put honey on the top. My older sis (who's from Louisiana) taught us this recipe!!

I love kidney beans and rice together. For lunch I do,, 1/4 cup of kidney beans to a 1/2 of rice.
    For a dinner portion I do, 1/2 cup of kidney beans with 1 cup of rice. YUM!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    I use dried beans and make mine in the crock pot at least once a month. Here are the ingredients I ran thru the recipe builder here. 6 servings, 239 cals per serving. This is without the rice and if you left out the andouille, it's about 80 less per serving.

La Preferida - Small Red Beans, 1 container (3 3/10 cup, dries ea.)
    Celery - Raw, 1.5 cup chopped
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Onions - Raw, 1.5 cup, chopped
    Garlic - Raw, 5 clove
    Cajun seasoning
    Bay leaf
    Wellshire - Turkey Andouille Sausage, 1 container (336 gs ea.)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I make a rice / bean / tomato casserole type thing.

I dry fry some vegetables. Usually onion, mushroom, celery, green pepper. Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans. Add a cup of minute rice. Add a can of diced tomatoes. Add chili powder and cumin. Heat and eat.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Try this:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/zucchini-herb-casserole/detail.aspx

Add 4 oz or so cooked, shredded chicken, use reduced fat cheese (or like I do, omit cheese altogether) and you've got a yummy, low cal rice dish! I just realized there aren't any beans... You could probably do beans instead of chicken. Are you vegetarian?

I also use half short grain brown and half short grain white instead because I hate long grain rice.

Good luck!
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 399 Member
    This calls for black beans but you could probably use whatever kind you want:

Black Beans & Whole Grain Brown Rice
    1 - 15 oz. can of Bush's Best Black Beans
    1 - 14 oz. can of Hunt's diced tomatoes
    (for less sodium use no salt added instead)
    1 - Package of Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Brown Rice(90 Sec. Mirowavable Pouch)
    1 - Small Red Onion (diced)
    4-5 Garlic Cloves (sliced like almonds)
    1/2 tsp of Curry Powder

Use Pam or a little bit of Olive Oil in a sauce pan over low heat and add Red Onion, Garlic Cloves & Curry Powder. Cook on Low for a minute or two onions still need there crunch. Add rest of ingredients. Continue to cook on low for about 30 mins. Stirring every 5 mins. Keep lid on in between. Enjoy.

Number of Servings: 4

Nutrition Info

Calories: 222.6
    Fat: 2.4g
    Carbohydrates: 46.0g
    Protein: 9.2g
  • hippiebea
    hippiebea Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you everyone!! very helpful!!!
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Bump!