Unless a bear is chasing me...

Options
McFrench
McFrench Posts: 205 Member
I don't run.

I have always laughed at runners, while secretly admiring them. There is a line from a movie about "jogging, or hogging, maybe yogging...not sure how it's pronounced". No one wants to see me hauling my big butt down the street, flabbing as I go...so I don't. I walk, and I hike, and I bike and swim and kickbox and step. And I am down 46 pounds!

But I don't run!

But then I started jogging down Badger Mountain near my house, it's almost easier than walking down it. So, 4.3 miles roundtrip, that must be over 2 miles of jogging. But I don't count that.

Yesterday, I got on the old treadmill at the gym, did a 5 minute warm up, and thought "Why the hell don't I just run a few minutes??" My husband runs for his physicals. I bet I could run a half mile. So I started. Then it became a competition with myself. I decided I could go 10 minutes. Then I could hit a mile (13.5 minute mile!) then I wanted to hit 15 minutes of running...and I kept reminding myself of all the stuff I have accomplished in the last 6 months. And I just kept going. And going. And it wasn't all that bad.

I ran for 45 minutes. 3.3 miles....that's just over a 5K! I think I could have kept going, but the gym daycare was closing. Guess I will have to try again!

Warrior Dash in September...here I come!

I celebrated today by buying 3 new workout shirts, new workout socks and a new water bottle. Yay me!!

Replies

• Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    Awesome dedication!! Keep it up and I bet you can really get going! :flowerforyou:
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • melinda104
    melinda104 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great job! My daughter used to have the same philosophy about running. Now, she's an avid runner and is doing the Warrior Dash in September as well. As for me, I used to be a runner and thought I could do the same. I'm going in for knee surgery on July 8 because I thought I could jog again. So, keep up the good work and run for the rest of us!
  • dcerna62
    dcerna62 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I wish I had that kind of self motivation. I do mostly circuit training and the elliptical. I always tell myself that I'm not a runner but who knows.....maybe someday :-)
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You should be telling yourself that you ARE a runner. Positive thoughts yield positive efforts.

it can be harder for people learning to "run" as an adult instead of as a child. But, just keep telling yourself "tomorrow it will be just a little easier than today". :smile:
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I admire you, in fact, i need to be more like you with that philosophy! Great JOB!
  • kelly6485
    kelly6485 Posts: 78
    Options
    Great job on your hard work and dedication, but a bit of advice.....IF A BEAR REALLY IS CHASING YOU, DON'T RUN!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options

I celebrated today by buying 3 new workout shirts, new workout socks and a new water bottle. Yay me!!

WTG! I bet you will look AWESOME running in them!!!

Michelle
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading your NSV there, very engaging writing. And very inspirational as well.
    Let us know when you do your first marathon.
    Keep up the great work.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Isn't it fun when you find out that you CAN do something that always seemed to hard.
    I always said I couldn't run. In January for some strange reason I got motivated to start and I've just signed up for a 12k race in August.
    Go for it!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great job on your hard work and dedication, but a bit of advice.....IF A BEAR REALLY IS CHASING YOU, DON'T RUN!!!!!!!!!!! :)

So out of curiousity, what do you do? I've heard bear bells don't really work, and lying down and playing dead will just get you eaten faster!

And great job, OP! I just ran on a treadmill during a gym workout for the first time ever - I usually do other cardio. It was pretty empowering!
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And thanks for the bear advice. I can always count on MFP!! I will pick up some bear Mace ASAP.

Maybe I should revise...

-Unless a pervert is after my child....
    -Unless there is a risk I won't get a piece of cake...

But, now that I ran 3.3 miles, there is really nothing stopping me from going 5 miles, or 10. I might become Forest Gump and just keep going.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You rock!

I never liked running. Some days I'm still not sure I like running. But I definitely like that it's one of the quickest ways to burn a lot of calories, so I can eat more. :smile:
  • carrielofton
    carrielofton Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is awsome. I have never ran either and I have started walking since startng MFP two weeks ago. My goal is to start running by the end of this week and I think your article will help me. Keep doing what your doing.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! I did the same thing - tried running, knees swelled up. Started walking instead. Got up to about 10 miles, then thought, heck I'll try a mile. Then I tried 2. Last night, I just ran my 2nd 5K run - in 39:10!

Congratulations on your weight loss and exercise! Keep it up, or better yet - do more!
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That is great!!!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! Many congrats :heart:

I love it when my body surprises me with what it can do.
  • alexoftroy
    alexoftroy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Girly, that is AWESOME! And honestly - that's the only way I can run. I challenge myself, I turn it into a competition. "Just ten more minutes...okay, now ten more..." :) Keep it up, and congrats!!
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thats fantastic! I only run at night - I'm sure people don't want to see me either !

Well done and keep up the awesome work :flowerforyou:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!