Overwhelmed Mommy Alert-Emotional eating inevitable?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrg! I'm nearing the end of my rope here people and there's leftover pizza calling my name and it sounds like just the answer to my frazzled nerves, but I know that's just not true at all!

But I'm home alone with my 5.5 year old and 3.5 year old and they're delightful but they never stop talking and they never stop fighting, and then there's my darling 12 week old who is precious as all get out but she NEVER lets me put her down. I think motherhood rocks, it's amazing, but I am tired, soooooooooooo tired and frazzled. And this is when I usually say "screw healthy eating" and reach for that pizza, then the Double Stuff Oreos are next! But I really don't want to mess up this good think I have going!

Any other frazzled mommies/emotional eaters out there who can commiserate with me?

Katie

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    This workS.....assign your older kid "odd" days and your little one "even" days of the week. On the odd day your older kid can make the choices, who gets to sit where, what show to watch on tv, etc. etc...on even days your little one gets to have the choice. Stops everything...use a calendar tho, kids need visual.

PS. LEFT OVER PIZZA IS NOT WORTH THE CALORIES!
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    This workS.....assign your older kid "odd" days and your little one "even" days of the week. On the odd day your older kid can make the choices, who gets to sit where, what show to watch on tv, etc. etc...on even days your little one gets to have the choice. Stops everything...use a calendar tho, kids need visual.

Good idea!

Katie
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    I know where you're coming from. Right now, my kids seem to not understand the meaning of the word 'no' and can't seem to hear me say anything unless I'm yelling. They're 6, 4, 3, and 8 months. The baby isn't a problem, just his 3 big sisters that think they are teenagers already! Hang in there!
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Katie- I feel for you 100 percent.
    Can you break up the day by visiting the library?
    Or having a few close friends over?
    I always find that I do better when I am held accountable by other people being around.

I am a stay at home mom too and yes, it is the BEST job in the world but it is also the toughest!

Good luck! And I agree, leftover pizza IS NOT worth the calories!!!
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    I'm not a frazzled new mom any more but it feels like only yesterday .... (my kids are 10 and 12). Anyway! What I want to tell you is that if you feel like you're going crazy there's a GOOD REASON for that. Sleep deprivation is used as a form of TORTURE, you know! The reason it works is because it makes people go crazy! And I say that just so maybe in the back of your mind you will hear a little voice saying "Yes, I feel crazy right now and want to give it all up. But it's only temporary and it's perfectly normal. I just need to get through it." You really aren't alone! Hang in there!!!!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Hi! Wait - don't eat those foods (unless they fit into your cal's of course)!! :flowerforyou:

I'm 52 years now but remember those days like it was this morning! I had zero help from their dad or my family unless i went totally out of my way to ask for it.

My now 18 yr old daughter still is very demanding, and needy. LOL :sad:

Kids - they come with joy and pain to be sure. :noway:

Make sure you've eaten your good foods, put the junk in the trash! You did the right thing, you came here and asked for help. Score that a victory for you HUG!
  • KatiePeca
    I'm not a frazzled new mom any more but it feels like only yesterday .... (my kids are 10 and 12). Anyway! What I want to tell you is that if you feel like you're going crazy there's a GOOD REASON for that. Sleep deprivation is used as a form of TORTURE, you know! The reason it works is because it makes people go crazy! And I say that just so maybe in the back of your mind you will hear a little voice saying "Yes, I feel crazy right now and want to give it all up. But it's only temporary and it's perfectly normal. I just need to get through it." You really aren't alone! Hang in there!!!!!

Well I am definitely not getting much sleep these days! Baby is my little dictator! So yes, some days I feel like I am teetering on the edge of sanity, this explains it so well!

I have not deviated from my meal plans today, so far so good!

Katie
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    I feel your pain. Mine are 21-months and 4 years.

Last night, the youngest was teething and giving me grief. We were out of Tylenol/Advil so I asked my husband to take a break from painting the garage (which wasn't an important chore to me anyway) and go get some. He says no, he wants to finish and makes ME go with the screaming toddler in tow. Like, wtf?! I was at the end of my rope and ended up buying M&M's and eating my feelings. Today was supposed to be the day I weighed in at under 130lbs, I was so excited and he ruined that for me. I am still angry today about his lack of support and he still doesn't get it.

Be strong momma. Parenting is a battlefield. Today's battle: Keeping the kids from ruining the finish on my cupboards with their toy cars.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member

This is a pretty good idea..

But I totally understand...My 5 year old and 1.5 year old are a HANDFUL! Apart, they are sweet little angels..But together...I seriously think they might be able to take over a small country! When I get frazzled, I will step outside...I can see everything through the patio windows..but I'm away...maybe let the little ones take a walk or play at a park? the bigger ones can play while you and baby walk! Then you dont have to worry about the leftover pizza OR the oreos! and if you DID decide to eat them..hey, you burned some calories on that walk (WHILE pushing a stroller..lol) ...so you dont set yourself up for failure!!

Good luck, Momma!! I know you can do it!

PS: CONGRATS on reaching your Pre-pregnancy weight! I noticed it under your ticker!
  • KMcBandit
    KMcBandit Posts: 65
    Katie I laughed so hard when I read this.. My normal day with my 5 kid's #1 and #3 fighting like crazy while #4 and #5 stand by and freak out while watching me trying to break it up getting knees kicked or punched in the face and #2 standing on the sidelines saying you guys suck why can't you just knock it off and get along your gonna make mom cry and the babies are going to act just like you!!!! GAH! I know exactly how you feel get yourself a punching bag get up an hour before everyone and punch the living beans out of it it really does help and burns calories then buy a moby wrap stick the little one in it and go about your stuff :) You will get through it I promise I'm only half crazy 12 years in hahaha! Have yourself a skinny cow or 3 ;) just make sure you do a couple extra trips up the steps with baby. Your doing great keep your chin up and STAY AWAY from the oreos!
    K
  • KatiePeca

PS: CONGRATS on reaching your Pre-pregnancy weight! I noticed it under your ticker!

Thank you!

Katie
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member

Last night, the youngest was teething and giving me grief. We were out of Tylenol/Advil so I asked my husband to take a break from painting the garage (which wasn't an important chore to me anyway) and go get some. He says no, he wants to finish and makes ME go with the screaming toddler in tow. Like, wtf?! I was at the end of my rope and ended up buying M&M's and eating my feelings. Today was supposed to be the day I weighed in at under 130lbs, I was so excited and he ruined that for me. I am still angry today about his lack of support and he still doesn't get it.

Be strong momma. Parenting is a battlefield. Today's battle: Keeping the kids from ruining the finish on my cupboards with their toy cars.

I forgot to mention that it was CANADA DAY and I had to drive around town, on a holiday, and find the only open place. By the time I came to Wal-Mart, I was about to go nuts.
  • KatiePeca
    Thanks everyone :)

Lucky for me, I planned my whole day out in advance and I planned in a creamsicle! Answer to my craving prayers!!!

I also get a yummy protein shake later in the evening, chocolate peanut butter flavor! Yum! Feels like a total cheat but isn't!

I just can't wait until bedtime!

And I just can't wait until the baby will sleep independently of me! I have her in a sling ALL DAY LONG, I love it, the bonding is great, but I kind of miss feeling like my own person at times, rather then just the baby's bed and vehicle!

Katie
  • KatiePeca

My husband means well, but he doesn't really know what it's like to be "Mom" Plus, he plays baseball many times a week, and is often gone 7 h ours at a time, so he gets 7 hours of time for himself, I feel guilty when I sleep in 30 extra minutes!

I spent Canada day fending off cravings! Our favorite Indian place had a pavillion set up at the park, and I wanted some, I wanted that naan bread and tandoori chicken soooo bad, but I thankfully resisted!

Katie
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Step away from the Oreos!!! Is there anyway you can take them outside to play or for a walk or something? Sometimes some fresh air will help clear your mind a little. I understand completely when the perfect solution seems to be a bag of chips or cookies. Try doing something to divert your attention that won't allow you to eat.Mine are all older now so it's much easier, but I so remember those days when they were all younger. You can do it!!!:wink:
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrg! I'm nearing the end of my rope here people and there's leftover pizza calling my name and it sounds like just the answer to my frazzled nerves, but I know that's just not true at all!

But I'm home alone with my 5.5 year old and 3.5 year old and they're delightful but they never stop talking and they never stop fighting, and then there's my darling 12 week old who is precious as all get out but she NEVER lets me put her down. I think motherhood rocks, it's amazing, but I am tired, soooooooooooo tired and frazzled. And this is when I usually say "screw healthy eating" and reach for that pizza, then the Double Stuff Oreos are next! But I really don't want to mess up this good think I have going!

Any other frazzled mommies/emotional eaters out there who can commiserate with me?

Katie

I can't offer much help, but wanted to tell you how awesome you are. I have one 3 year old, and sometimes it is all I can do to keep from breaking into the liquor cabinet around 10 AM.

Keep on trying and succeeding, my friend! You are a great momma and will achieve your goals. <3
  • KatiePeca
    Thanks everyone :)

We're about 1 hour away from bedtime for the big kids and about 2-3 hours away from bedtime for the baby (her first "bedtime" of the night that is). I think I can make it until the big ones are in bed, then hopefully I'll have my protein shake and be done stressing for the night! My husband will be home in time for the baby's first waking and eating of the night, then he can deal with her for a bit ;)

Thank you all for your support! No Oreo's have been hurt because of you!

Katie
  • yogamom16
    yogamom16 Posts: 114
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I have 3 kids. The older 2 fight all day and the baby is very high maintenance so halfway through the day I am ready to give in. I just try to keep the bad stuff out of my house so I am not even tempted.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    i'd give each of your older one's a toy of their own and put them in separate rooms for a while... and invest in a wrap or pack of some kind and where your 12 week old... i had one when my son was a baby and it was a life saver... he is still a huge mama's boy and follows me everywhere except now i hear "MOOOMMMMM" like 1000 times a day. (my son is 18 months)