Eat my 'Exercise' Calories??? Yeah right!!!

Options
O.K., so I've been working hard since January, learning portion control, increasing my activity level & decreasing how much I eat in a day, blah, blah, blah... And recently I'm noticing on some of the message boards that it's healthier to eat the calories that you burned during exercise. So, take today for example; I went to the gym and worked out for 2 hours then I came home & cleaned out my garage, a couple of closets & really did a deep clean to my entire house. I burned almost 1200 calories. I've gotten used to only eating about that amount in an entire day. THERE'S NO WAY I can eat that many MORE calories today!!! :noway: What do you guys think????

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. Eat as much as you can, if you're not hungry, don't eat. One day of a low net won't hurt you, but if this is the pattern every day, try to eat a couple more calorie dense foods like peanut butter to up your intake.
  • Mekob25
    Mekob25 Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks Jorra! :happy:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry - eat. If you aren't - then don't.

However, on a day to day basis it is important to eat back some of the calories (I eat back all of them - but I've learned that this is what my body wants.. so I listen to it) to insure you are hitting your net calories for the day. Once in awhile won't hurt you, but going weeks and weeks without eating them back will affect your weight loss eventually.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You should not have a net of 0. Or anything bellow 1200 its very harmful
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was eating too low through June and had a slow down in my weight loss. Been eating nearer to my calories for the last 2 weeks and losing weight much more rapidly. Change it up, your body gets used to things and needs a break.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I can easily eat that many calories I ran 10 miles this morning and am looking forward to having baby back ribs for dinner tonite :love:

The easiest way to eat back the calories if you're not that hungry is with healthy fats. Pistachios, amonds and cashews do it for me.

Or else a couple of glasses of wine.:drinker:
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You need to kind of plan ahead. On the days you know you will be burning a lot of calories, eat a little more at eat meal, or higher calorie options at each meal, so you do not end up with 1200 extra calories at 7 PM at night. I struggle with the same thing, so I have been there, done that. If I can't possibly eat them all that day, I eat them the next day.
  • hoosiermama1977
    Options
    I wear a bodymedia fit so I KNOW what I burn all day. What amazes me as with this website it puts me at needing about 2740 calories per day (after you put in the deficit for losing). On my bodymedia fit I see that on a regular work day I'm burning 3000+ My workouts contribute VERY little to my daily burn - most of it is housework, playing with the kids, grocery shopping etc... in fact some days when I've done my hour zumba and sweated my butt off I've burnt less then the days I have to take the kids along to the grocery store! Anyway, I'm saying that because of that you know that the numbers are you seeing here at mfp are great - but they are not set in stone. If you are hungry eat some of them. If you aren't then don't. If you lose weight then what you did worked. If you never eat them and you don't lose weight then trying eating a few next week. If you always eat them and you don't lose weight then cut back. We all have our own "sweet spots" Even with my bodymedia fit I've learned over the past 6 months - with a1000 calorie deficit average I *should* lose 2 lbs but I NEVER lose when my deficit is that high. My best losses are with a 500-700 calorie deficit. Others don't see a loss with that. We are all different! Find your own sweet spot, listen to your body and don't stress (because I have learned that I NEVER lose weight when I stress a lot or don't sleep enough!)
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Eating exercise calories is just a go-ahead to eat if you are hungry from all that exercise. There's no need to force yourself to do it, but a little extra calories from exercise can be handy sometimes.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You should not have a net of 0. Or anything bellow 1200 its very harmful

That's not necessarily true, 1200 is not a magic number, just the number MFP uses as its minimum based on average values. A shorter or smaller person can easily eat below that consistently and be just fine. I do agree that a net of zero is not a good thing though.

Eating too little can slow the metabolism and slow weight loss, that's why it's important to have a net bigger than zero. You need to power your body!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I just do things the old fashioned way before MFP ever existed and this whole idea of eating exercise calories was popular. I picked a number between my BMR and TDEE and started eating that amount no matter what the exercises were that I did. And it works...imagine that. :bigsmile: So even though I should be eating 1200 + exercise calories according to MFP, I actually eat about 1500 and still manage to lose weight and be healthy...

But aside from that, I also wanted to say that you might not want to count cleaning chores as exercise. If you weren't working out regularly, you'd still have to clean, right?

Also, I don't have much faith in ways of calculating exercise calories anyway. HRMs are all different which are different from a BodyBugg which is different from cardio machines which is different from MFP calculations... so basically, no matter what you do it is all just an estimate. And most estimates are really high, if you ask me.

So I wouldn't eat an extra 1200 calories. No way. That's like an extra whole day's worth of food for one trip to the gym. But, definitely eat more than a measly 1200 to begin with. You just have to play with the numbers until you find your sweet spot. Some people eat all those calories, some people eat half, some just eat some...and some like don't play that game at all and I just eat between BMR and TDEE. But in all cases, we all lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • Mekob25
    Options
    I wear a bodymedia fit so I KNOW what I burn all day. What amazes me as with this website it puts me at needing about 2740 calories per day (after you put in the deficit for losing). On my bodymedia fit I see that on a regular work day I'm burning 3000+ My workouts contribute VERY little to my daily burn - most of it is housework, playing with the kids, grocery shopping etc... in fact some days when I've done my hour zumba and sweated my butt off I've burnt less then the days I have to take the kids along to the grocery store! Anyway, I'm saying that because of that you know that the numbers are you seeing here at mfp are great - but they are not set in stone. If you are hungry eat some of them. If you aren't then don't. If you lose weight then what you did worked. If you never eat them and you don't lose weight then trying eating a few next week. If you always eat them and you don't lose weight then cut back. We all have our own "sweet spots" Even with my bodymedia fit I've learned over the past 6 months - with a1000 calorie deficit average I *should* lose 2 lbs but I NEVER lose when my deficit is that high. My best losses are with a 500-700 calorie deficit. Others don't see a loss with that. We are all different! Find your own sweet spot, listen to your body and don't stress (because I have learned that I NEVER lose weight when I stress a lot or don't sleep enough!)

Thank you so much! Very Helpful :happy:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It's simple math, really. It's all about keeping your net calories and calorie deficit at a reasonable level. Eat too few calories and you will sacrifice lean body mass, which means your metabolic rate will decrease, which means you will have smaller, weaker muscles, and your body will store fat more readily. Other ways this may manifest is as a "plateau", or constant desire to binge. It seems this burning desire people have to chronically under-feed themselves is the #2 cause of people not succeeding. I'm assuming OVER-eating is the #1 cause, but after several months on this site, I seriously wonder whether under-eating is actually the #1 problem.
  • Mekob25
    Options
    You all have great suggestions. Thank you very much!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to reach the calories they have me set at.
    I am concerned because for the last few days my sodium has been high.
    (I don't have the most healthy food in the house--we're on a limited budget as DH has been laid off for 2 years.)
    But since I started using MFP (end of June) I haven't even reached my set calories for the day.
    Today may be the first time that I do.
  • MsHQ
    MsHQ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue. It is hard for me to eat a lot because I'm either full or feel like i'm stuffing my face. My solution has come down to eating more 500calorie meals and 400calories snacks. & not so much eating a bunch of small items in big portions. it's easier that way. Hope this helps. =)
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You need to kind of plan ahead. On the days you know you will be burning a lot of calories, eat a little more at eat meal, or higher calorie options at each meal, so you do not end up with 1200 extra calories at 7 PM at night. I struggle with the same thing, so I have been there, done that. If I can't possibly eat them all that day, I eat them the next day.

Exactly! Some days I do 50-60 miles on a bike ride & burn 2-3000 cals on a ride like that! No way can I consume such an amount but I do know when I going to ride like that I'll eat extra cals to begin with & plan accordingly throughout the day. I may not eat them all back but a good portion of it I try too. Your body needs those cals to replenish whats used up & for rest & repair. I also try to eat back good caloric dense foods also ;)
  • Vcaser
    Vcaser Posts: 36
    Options
    They had my calorie goal set too high (computer programs not being people, it's just an estimate) and I did not start consistently losing until I tweaked my calorie goal down to 1200 a day. If I feel like eating my extra earned calories, I will - if not, I don't. It hasn't impacted me that I can tell, other than I almost HAVE to eat some of my earned calories because my increased muscle mass makes me so darned hungry.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Mekob, I see whatever you're doing is working! A word of warning though.

I have been on this particular leg of my journey for 2.5 years, and have been hopelessly plateaued since last November. I have always felt like I eat plenty, as I do primal lifestyle; my calories can be anywhere between 1500 and 2000 every single day, and all good, whole foods like nuts, lean meat, tons of veggies, and whole raw dairy etc. But I am highly active. I hike a minimum of 4 miles every day, to 10 mile horseback rides, and do daily barn and farm chores like moving hay, mucking... all high cardio stuff. I can easily burn 1000 calories, every single day.

But I was never hungry. And while I didn't "eat back" all those calories, my overall intake (up to 2000) I thought reflected my caloric need.

Then my hormones got all out of wack. I stopped losing. I'd eat a slice of bread and gain 7lbs and take a week to lose that. My moods have been terrible.

Turns out, I'm compromising my metabolism.

My body thinks I'm starving it. While eating 2000 calories! So I have set my cals at maintanance, which for me, at 5'10 and 238 lbs and Active, is 2510 per day. I'm eating good stuff, but have added back gluten free carbs. I am hitting the reset. It is my last ditch effort to get off these last 40 lbs!

Just know, before you start trying to eat back all those calories, only an hrm can tell you exactly what you're burning. MFP often over or under estimates your burn, and that can put you in adaptive thermogenisis, or cause you to gain! Eat high quality, unprocessed foods, and drink lots of water (I average 15+ glasses a day).

I have to say, I am feeling so much better, eating more. I never felt hungry, but apparently I was needing more. Think of your calories as gasoline. When you drive that car more than usual, you need to top up the tank!

Good luck, and keep on truckin!

Ange
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I don't eat exercise calories. I eat my meals and snacks and certainly eat a little more if I am hungry!