✿ Have you ever went a week w/out logging? ✿

Options
✿ I have been a pretty faithful member of MFP since January. By faithful, I mean that I have logged (almost) everything since I started. I have been known to cheat on occasion & not add a cookie or chips, etc. There was even a time a few months ago, where I went an entire weekend w/out logging, but I felt extremely guilty & I've not done it since.

The thing is, I'm going on vacation soon & I don't want to log. I would like to be able to enjoy myself, the whole week, w/out worrying about how many calories I am eating. Although, I will try my best to make healthy decisions w/ each meal & I plan on running & staying somewhat active while I'm gone.

Has anyone went that long w/out logging? If so, how did it turn out for you? Did you still manage to lose weight or did you gain? ✿

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I didn't log for almost a full week, recently, when I went on vacation. I just ate whatever I felt like. It was very liberating. I stayed about the same weight. Actually might have lost about 0.5 lbs.

Go ahead and give yourself a break.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Since I have started, I have longed all my food.
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation recently and only logged the first day of vacation. Came home and was the same weight and I know I ate horribly. I also swam everyday so that helped burn alot of calories!!!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I went on a cruise I refused to log during that time because I didn't want to pay for internet on the ship to do so. So I just made the best healthiest choises I could and tried not to overdue my portion sizes and kept up on my exercise (took stairs vs elevator). Hope this helps!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have done both WW and MFP. When I didn't log for MFP, I did for WW. Now I'm on MFP and went away for two weeks. The first week was a ballet camp intensive. I burned around 7000+ calories over the week and didn't log a thing but didn't weigh in, either. The second week was a holiday week - ate my way down the eastern seaboard, and didn't log.

I gained, according to the weigh in this week, exactly 2.5 pounds from this week of eating. I must say that I didn't OVEReat but I did have some pleasurable items that I don't usually have. I did do a lot of walking in the heat and took one ballet class at one stopover.

Now I'm back on track so we'll see what happens next week. :-D
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: after over two years on MFP, logging food and exercise every day and losing over 70 pounds I went on a trip and didn't log my food or exercise but I made sure to walk at least 10000 steps a day and do some other exercise and I was careful about food but ate in too many restaurants. I came home four pounds heavier, lost the first two pounds quickly (probably water retention from too much sodium) and battled the last two pounds for two months.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I mentally log food and exercise now out of habit.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    One thing I have learned doing this is I'm more aware of serving size and portions. I also have a pretty good idea of what certain things are calorie wise (give or take) that if I go a day without logging or only log breakfast or something. Just having logged stuff helps me be aware and I find I still end up keeping a mental tally for things i know the amount of or close to it.

My husband and I went on a cruise in May and both of us actually LOST several lbs just because we were more aware and stayed away from the junk we would normally gravitate to.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Haha! That's funny!! But no, I never have... To me, MFP is just like the morning paper, as soon as I wake up, I log in my iPhone and check out what I've missed while sleeping... Check out the activity of my friends while I'm at work.. Log everything AS I'm eating it! Oh since taking this weightloss/lifestyle change seriously, I have become a true addict!! I have the best circle of friends, they are soooooo motivational and supportive and I love seeing what they are up to and supporting them too! I feel proud logging my exercise and completing my diary each day...I couldn't possibly think of not logging in, it would be like cutting off my right arm!! I couldn't be without my girls on MFP, they are just fab!! Ok...I've logged in since jan 4th 2011 without fail....

Ok, I've just read all that back and it does sound rather obsessive...so short answer...no

(hehehe)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I went a week without it when i couldn't get online, and the phone app wouldn't work right for me. I doubt I'll do it again. I don;t ever want to feel I need to "let loose". I like seeing what I am eating whether it is good or bad. I want to be accountable, so even on vacation I will log.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I didn't log for almost a full week, recently, when I went on vacation. I just ate whatever I felt like. It was very liberating. I stayed about the same weight. Actually might have lost about 0.5 lbs.

Go ahead and give yourself a break.

Thanks. I think I will do just that. I did just find for the first 30 years of my life w/out MFP. I just recently gained because of the sedentary lifestyle I had to acquire for a few years. I don't think 1 week of not logging will hurt me. I may not lose anything, but that's fine. I really only want to maintain. And if I should gain a few pounds, w/ the help of MFP, I should be able to get back on track in no time.

Thanks for all of the advice! :happy:
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a mixed response. First, I am one of the most disciplined people I know when it comes to logging and sticking to this plan. I have never missed a log and never, ever exceeded my calories limits. I also never have cheat days or eat off limits food. I am really not a type A personality (though it sounds that way, huh?). But I have placed the weight loss as such a priority that cheating or failing is unacceptable.

But I will say that I did just take a weeks vacation and did not log or diet the entire time. I ate and drank like it was a roman holiday. Oddly I only gained 3 pounds and lost that within the first week of coming back. As soon as I got home, it was game on again.

I did however, log in by phone every day just to keep my ticker moving and y
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ...and keep things fresh in my mind. I wanted the constant reminder that the vacation was exactly that...something with a.definite end point.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Pfft. I dont go for guilt trips. MFP is a tool I use to help me do what I want do. It doesn't own me and I don't owe it. When I went on a trip back in april I didn't try to log the insanity I ingested. I went and had fun. Came back with a few extra pounds but so what? We know how to deal with that!! I say enjoy yourself on a special occasion. There's plenty of time to log later!