My First 5k! Need advice

Options
Hello MFPers! I am "running" my first 5k on Monday (July 4th). That day will be the day I would be beginning Week 9 of C25K (last week, YAY!) But I'm not really sure I'm ready, I'm in week 8 now so I only run for 28 mins and since I don't run very fast it's no where near 3.1 miles. And by the end of those 28 mins I am feeling it, I get so exhausted but I think that might be 50% boredom (running is boring! lol).

So anyway I'm wondering if anyone else has attempted a 5k near the end or right after finishing C25K and I'm also wondering what I should do to prepare? I currently do C25K 3 days a week and I have one more day in week 8 which I would normally run today but I'm not sure if I should hold off and I also do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred everyday (today is day 5 of level 1). Should I take today and Sunday off to rest my muscles since this 5k will probably be quite difficult for me or just Sunday? I'm not really sure I need to "carb load" but any advice on how to handle eating the day/night before?

So, so far all I know is I'm going to take the run slow, pace myself so I don't get burned out and walk for 30 seconds here and there if necessary but I'd love to run the whole thing. I'm open to any and all advice since I know nothing about running! I'm so nervous!

Replies

• catherun
    catherun Posts: 4
    Options
    Calm down! You'll do great, and whatever happens it will be a great experience. Remember to pace yourself. Try to start the race toward the middle or the back of the group because the people in the front will go fast, and you don't want to burn out all your energy at the beginning. I would run today, take tomorrow off, and have a healthy pasta dinner Sunday night. Get some motivational music on your mp3 player....something to keep you moving and excited. And just so you know...the race may seem long, but it probably won't be boring. You'll have a new course, and you'll be surrounded by others doing the same thing you are. You'll probably get a "runner's high" and really enjoy yourself. Good luck! :smile: You'll have fun!
  • Jenna1971
    Jenna1971 Posts: 28
    Options
    Have fun! Remember it is ok to "own the back of the pack"! Good luck!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    For your first one, don't worry. No need for any sort of pressure. These events are for fun!

The night before, I would probably eat something blandish, or at least something safe for your stomach.

I would set out your running stuff the night before, so you are prepared.

If you normally eat anything before running, eat something light.

If you want to warm up, no more than .5 miles. And if you're not quite there yet(@total 3.1) with the distance, I wouldn't worry about it.

Line up towards the back so the speedies aren't at your heels.

Have a good time, because if your 5ks are anything like the ones I know, people you don't even know will be cheering you in.

Next time... next time, you start thinking about time and improvement, if you want to do it again.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, this is great stuff. I feel better prepared now. I'm kinda looking forward to it now... still nervous though! LOL
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    FYI - I did the 5k, kept an easy pace the whole time and never stopped! Came in in just under 40 mins. Thanks again for your help!
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    FYI - I did the 5k, kept an easy pace the whole time and never stopped! Came in in just under 40 mins. Thanks again for your help!

Great job! I bet you feel great!! =)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Congrats! Well done.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Hello MFPers! I am "running" my first 5k on Monday (July 4th). That day will be the day I would be beginning Week 9 of C25K (last week, YAY!) But I'm not really sure I'm ready, I'm in week 8 now so I only run for 28 mins and since I don't run very fast it's no where near 3.1 miles. And by the end of those 28 mins I am feeling it, I get so exhausted but I think that might be 50% boredom (running is boring! lol).

I listen to Dan Savage and/or audio books when I'm running. and i'm always shocked to hear the little, 'start walking' voice come on because I get lost in the story and have no concept of how long/far I've run.