Why I have no problem tracking and weighing food for the res

Options
daddyratty
daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
I replied to a post the other day where people were wondering how long until you get to leave the "weigh and measure and track" phase of weight loss.

For me, I have resigned to do this for the rest of my life, and here's why:

I estimate that I spend 10 minutes a day specifically weighing, measuring, tracking, etc.
10 minutes a day = 70 minutes a week
10 minutes a day = 3650 minutes per year (60.8 hours or just over 2.5 days)
I'm 34 years old right now. If I plan to live another 50 or so years (hopefully more!), I would spend 126.7 days tracking food, weighing food, measuring food, etc.

That's just over 4 months.

I look at it like this: my efforts to get into better shape will give me back far more than 4 months of life.

So I'm OK spending the rest of my life paying just a little extra attention each day to what goes into my mouth.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Has it been a slow day for you. All this math. I know you are a math teacher, but this seems extreme :wink:
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Has it been a slow day for you. All this math. I know you are a math teacher, but this seems extreme :wink:

lol, it's kind of what bounces around in my head all week, so this is the chance I finally get to put it into writing.
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    I replied to a post the other day where people were wondering how long until you get to leave the "weigh and measure and track" phase of weight loss.

For me, I have resigned to do this for the rest of my life, and here's why:

I estimate that I spend 10 minutes a day specifically weighing, measuring, tracking, etc.
    10 minutes a day = 70 minutes a week
    10 minutes a day = 3650 minutes per year (60.8 hours or just over 2.5 days)
    I'm 34 years old right now. If I plan to live another 50 or so years (hopefully more!), I would spend 126.7 days tracking food, weighing food, measuring food, etc.

That's just over 4 months.

I look at it like this: my efforts to get into better shape will give me back far more than 4 months of life.

So I'm OK spending the rest of my life paying just a little extra attention each day to what goes into my mouth.

That's pretty impressive, and certainly puts it into perspective. I didn't have a problem with thinking I'll be tracking calories and what-not until the end of my days either, but seeing this makes it even less of a concern so thank you!

This made me laugh, thanks for that too. :D
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    it is a great way of looking at the long run. I know if I left this site, even for a week, I would revert to some really bad habits.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It's all completely worth it! I don't think I could ever stop now, no matter what the cost, the benefits are so much better.
  • EyeCanSeeYou
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing too. Weighing my food and counting calories.
    I also do it with my exercises. I just obsess over this!
    I hope this doesn't screw up my focus in college...
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    To those of you who consider "Daddyratty's" lifestyle plan "extreme", take a good look at how and why most all of us ended up on this site and needing to change our own lifestyles. I'm here to SAVE MY OWN LIFE. Daddyratty has always been very generous with the components of how and why he's been so very successful in becoming heart healthy. LISTEN to his wisdom. I can guarantee that those of you who do not plan to continue this program for the rest of your lives, you'll be back again, and again, and AGAIN... until you finally end up under the heart surgeon's scalpel (IF you live that long). Obesity kills. Tobacco use kills. Do both and you'll have a shortened, poor quality of life span. You can make the choices. It's your body. Treat it well.

:)
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's all completely worth it! I don't think I could ever stop now, no matter what the cost, the benefits are so much better.
    This is how I feel about the subject. :flowerforyou:
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I keep wondering the same thing. But you know what, tracking and measuring and weighing is what got me to my goal and I damn sure do not plan on getting fat again. So, if I have to do this the rest of my life, I am good with that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Not complaining, I just think it is funny. I have pretty much resolved the same thing without the math.