If I wake up late, do I eat less calories?

Options
Today I woke up later than usual at around 12 pm. I just skipped breakfast and went straight for lunch and then proceeded to eat every 2-3 hours. But should I have less calories if my day is shorter than usual?

Replies

• XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    If you wake up late, you're more than likely not going to get as much exercise as usual so its probably best if you consume less calories.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can eat less, but I wouldn't make a habit of it, since too few calories over time can slow your metabolism. I have found though, that sometimes getting a really good night's sleep makes me less hungry and I end up losing in the next few days. Good sleep is also beneficial for weight loss.
  • stevieray8921
    Options
    Actually, that's a pretty good question. Being a college student, I definitely have those late wake ups (especially on the weekends). I find that I personally consume less calories on these days, because I usually skip breakfast as well. Now, that presents its own health hazards, but I would say if your metabolism gets a late start, eat a larger portion after you wake up to get it rolling, then eat less towards dinner.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that one day isn't going make a huge difference one way or the other. I would eat what your body tells you to eat. If you aren't hungry enough to fill all your calories, then don't worry about it. If you have the appetite to eat all your calories, go ahead. Yes, don't make a regular habit of it, but don't sweat one day either!

By the way, happy sleeping in! We all need that once in a while, right? :wink:
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on whether you'll exercise as much, and just go to bed later, or not.
  • kerri007
    kerri007 Posts: 123
    Options
    no dont eat less, just make up 4 sleeping in:happy:
  • Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    Options
    When I get up too late for breakfast, I grab a cereal bar or a couple of biscuits. In an hour hungry for lunch, then you have eaten some calories but not as many as you would in a breakfast maybe? I would do more exercise than normal that day to eat same amount of calories
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I keep telling my hubby that my best secret for a good calorie day is to sleep through breakfast!
    Are you implying that might NOT be the best approach? :noway:
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Today I woke up later than usual at around 12 pm. I just skipped breakfast and went straight for lunch and then proceeded to eat every 2-3 hours. But should I have less calories if my day is shorter than usual?

Personally, I would just continue on like it was any other normal day. If you take a deficit for a day for missing breakfast, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • jgranger221
    Options
    "Wake up late" I'm not familiar with that phrase. Is it English? :laugh:
    (Sorry, I have two six-year-olds at home. Sleeping in is something like 8:00am on a Saturday)