Cooking Challenge: Eggplant

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the thirty-seventh round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from maeadair, the winner of the zucchini cooking challenge.

Eggplants.jpg

This week's challenge is EGGPLANT.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday July 9th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• tropicalicyicy
    tropicalicyicy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump!! i love eggplant, i am going to try to make something!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Share those eggplant recipes!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Where are all the eggplant recipes?
    I have one, but I won't be making it until later in the week!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Share your recipes before Saturday!
  • wannabahotmom
    Options
    bump
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    Ina Garten's AMAZING Roasted Veggie Orzo :) I have made this a million times and it's a staple in my kitchen during the summer months. ENJOY!

Ingredients
    2 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
    1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced
    1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced
    1 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 pound orzo or rice-shaped pasta

For the dressing:
    1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
    1/3 cup good olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

To assemble:
    4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
    1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts), toasted (if desired)
    3/4 pound good feta, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled) (I dont use feta although I love it... saves some calories)
    15 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large sheet pan. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula. Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil. Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is one of my absolute favorite foods. Maybe it's because of my Mediterranean roots - my mom was crazy about it, too, but always fried it (no way!)

Actually, I stopped frying it a long time ago, mostly because, since it absorbs so much oil, it actually made me sick.

So, I always bake it. Very simple: (both versions involve cutting slices to whatever depth I feel like - yeah, I'm that kind of cook... I peel them if I feel like it, don't if I'm lazy - you can guess what I usually do, lol).

For Italian style, dip the slices in egg white (beaten), then in Italian style breadcrumbs.

But if the eggplant is in season, they should be sweet (choose ones that are firm, and smaller are usually better), and I don't even use breadcrumbs (or the egg).

Preheat oven to about 400/425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheets w/parchment paper or that new nonstick aluminum foili.

If you've chosen to use breadcrumbs, lightly spray both sides w/spray oil. Then put eggplant (in one layer) on pan(s), and cook until they are brown(ish).

When eggplant is in season I've been known to polish off a whole tray of the plain guys.

Mmmm - eggplant & artichokes are so delish to me!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    One day left to answer!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Looking for a Lite Moussaka recipe...anyone have one?
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Did this last night from a tapas book -

Slice eggplant (aubergine) in half lengthways and make 3 slits in the flesh. (I actually did half inch thick slices) season with salt and pepper.
    Put in ovenproof dish and drizzle over olive oil.
    Finely chop 2 garliccloves, 2 tbsp parsley and 1tbsp thyme. Sprinkle over.

Bake at 180 deg C for 45 mins, then turn over and bake for another 15 mins.

Tasted lovely esp the garlic which went all chewy.

I added carrots sliced lengthways to the dish and baked for however long looked right. Usually I just chargrill slices.
  • suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 50
    Options
    This is totally scrumptious and a favourite in our house, but sadly I don't have a photo to share here,

Minty Eggplant Salad

Serves 4 as a side dish

2 aubergines/eggplant
    Tight handful of mint leaves, chopped
    Tight handful of coriander/cilantro, chopped
    Juice of half a lime (or lemon)
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    Sunflower oil for roasting

- Preheat the oven to 190C.
    - Prepare the aubergines by slicing off the top and chopping the flesh into 2 – 3cm cubes then toss in 1 tbsp of oil.
    - Spread out on a tray (I used a silicon sheet underneath to prevent it from sticking) and roast for 20 – 25 minutes turning every so often until the flesh starts to go golden brown around the edges.
    - Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly for a few minutes then sprinkle with juice, shallot and herbs. Stir thoroughly to combine.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thai stir-fried eggplant (recipe from about.com)

•1/2 cooking onion (purple onions work well for this recipe)
    •6 cloves garlic, minced
    •1-3 red chillies (including seeds), depending on how spicy you like it
    •1 Chinese (large, with dark purple skin) eggplant, or 2 (thinner, with light purple skin) Japanese eggplants
    •1/4 cup water for stir-frying
    •2 Tbsp. oil for stir-frying
    •roughly 1/2 cup (or more) fresh basil
    •2 Tbsp. soy sauce

SAUCE:
    •1 Tbsp. fish sauce OR 1+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    •2 Tbsp. oyster sauce OR vegetarian oyster sauce, OR Vegetarian Stir-Fry Sauce (Lee Kum Kee brand)
    •1 tsp. brown sugar
    •1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp. water (mix until cornstarch is dissolved)

Preparation:
    1.First, prepare sauce by mixing together all sauce ingredients except cornstarch. Prepare the cornstarch and water mixture in a separate cup or bowl. Set both aside.

2.Chop the eggplant up into bite-size pieces (be sure to leave the peel on - this is where most of the nutrients are).
    3.Place 2-3 Tbsp. oil to a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, half of the garlic, chilli, and eggplant. Reserve the rest of the garlic for later.

4.Stir-fry for 5 minutes. When the wok or frying pan becomes dry, add a little of the water (a few Tbsp. at a time) - enough to keep the ingredients frying nicely.

5.Add 2 Tbsp. soy sauce and continue stir-frying for 5 more minutes, or until the eggplant is soft and the white flesh is almost translucent. Add a little more water when the pan becomes too dry (up to 1/4 cup).

6.When the eggplant is soft, add the rest of the garlic plus the sauce. Stir fry to incorporate.

7.Lastly, add the cornstarch/water mixture. Stir well so that the sauce thickens uniformly (this will only take a minute or less). Remove from heat.

8.Taste test the eggplant for salt. If not salty enough, add a little more fish sauce. If too salty, add 1 Tbsp. lime juice (or substitute 1 Tbsp. lemon juice).

9.Now add 3/4 of the fresh basil, stirring briefly to incorporate.

10.Slide onto a serving platter and sprinkle the rest of the basil over top. Serve with brown rice. Enjoy!

Calories: (about) 475

Serves: 2 (HUGE servings!)

It was sooo deliious! made this a while ago! will be making it again! so many rich flavors!
  • clh4444
    clh4444 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I made this today after picking up some fresh veggies from the farmers market and it was delish. It's called summer harvest ratatouille and the recipe comes from whole foods.

Ratatouille, a traditional French vegetable dish of eggplant, bell peppers, onions, summer squash and tomatoes, is an ideal side dish to serve with grilled or roasted fish or chicken.

Per serving (about 12oz/331g-wt.): 80 calories (10 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 15g total carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 8g sugar), 3g protein

3 bell peppers, assorted colors, seeded, cored and cut into thick wedges
    1 large eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch slices
    2 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch slices
    2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch slices
    1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
    1/2 cup pitted Niçoise or other black olives ( I used kalamata because it is what I had)
    5 large tomatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), seeded and chopped
    1 large red onion, chopped
    7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I like spicy so I used hot pepper flakes)
    3 tablespoons chopped marjoram or oregano (I used penzeys Greek spice which had both oregano and majoram in it)
    1/3 cup chopped parsley
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste

Preheat oven to 425°F. Have ready 2 large nonstick baking sheets or regular baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Place peppers and eggplant on one sheet, squash and zucchini on second sheet. Roast vegetables, turning them once halfway through cooking and switching trays top to bottom and front to back, until browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool vegetables slightly, then coarsely chop.

Meanwhile, combine broth and olives in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a heavy pot and add tomatoes, onion, garlic and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer until tomatoes are very soft, about 20 minutes.

Add roasted vegetables and marjoram to pot; cover and simmer, stirring once or twice, until flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and vinegar; cook 5 minutes more.

I had also bought a caprese bread which was whole grain with dried tomatoes and mozzarella baked in it from the farmers market and toasted that with a slice of mozzarella and topped with ratatouille for lunch today. I also used it as a side dish to grilled chicken with penzeys Singapore spice and spicy stir fried green beans for dinner. I highly recommend this. It was very tasty.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I'm not going to be closing this for a few more hours, so enter while there's time!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Update: I'm actually going to end the challenge tomorrow. I find when I close the challenges so late and start the next one, I get less response than if I start it at a reasonable time of day. But since I haven't closed the challenge yet, keep entering recipes! I'm entering mine..

NAME OF RECIPE: Vegetable Lasagna

INGREDIENTS:
    1 eggplant, diced
    1 tsp salt
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tsp garlic, peeled and minced
    1/2 cucumber, diced
    1 red onion, diced
    1/4 green bell pepper, diced
    1/4 red bell pepper, diced
    4 oz mushrooms, sliced
    1 can petite diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp black olives, sliced
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1/2 tbsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp dried rosemary
    1 cup vegetable broth
    2 tbsp Brummel&Brown yogurt spread
    3 tbsp flour
    5 cups milk
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 package lasagna noodles
    1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a colander put the eggplant and the salt. Let sit for 20 minutes. In the meantime, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions.

2. In a skillet heat the oil. Add the ginger, garlic, and onions. Cook until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, cucumber, and bell peppers and cook for 4 more minutes. Add the mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary, oregano, and vegetable stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then let simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.

3. In a small saucepan melt the Brummel&Brown. Add the flour and stir together until it forms a ball. Remove from heat and whisk in the milk. Place back on heat and bring to a boil, until the mixture thickens. Add the cheese and stir together, letting the cheese melt.

4. In a 6-cup baking dish pour about 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Top with 1/3 of the pasta noodles. Top with 1/2 of the vegetables. Continue.

5. Over the last layer of noodles pour the rest of the cheese sauce. Top with the Parmesan cheese.

6. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 for 50 minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 575 calories

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I was a little skeptical because eggplant just typically isn't my thing. I also have never made a lasagna that wasn't dominantly red sauce based. This however was VERY delicious. I really enjoyed the cheese sauce and this is the first time I've enjoyed eggplant!

PICTURE (optional):
    IMG_5513mfp.jpg
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Beaten to it! I made an eggplant lasanga last night!
    My recipe is a little different so I'll add it anyway

The recipe involves using long slices of eggplant instead of pasta and using a combo of soft tofu and mozzarella instead of just cheese!

serves 4 approx 300 cals a serve
    -1.5 eggplants largely sliced (baked on a tray for 15 minutes first approx 250degrees c)
    -cup of pasta sauce & -0.5 brown onion (bring to boil on heat first)
    -200g soft tofu & -100g mozzarella (mix or blend until well combined)

-cup of mushrooms sliced
    -3 tomatos sliced
    -1 zucchini sliced

Then layer ingredients into a baking dish with a lid and bake for 45 mins at 250 degrees c