Ideas on Healthy low Bugdet foods??

Options
Rayanne203
Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
I need low cost healthy diet ideas !! Eating healthy is costly I find. I dont understand why the junk food is so cheap and the healthy food costs so much...

Replies

• CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    A bag of baby carrots (beware, they last for a long time)
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't have too much to contribute here, except I find the generic brand of whatever I'm looking for to save a few bucks.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Most of what I eat is low budget. Anything not in a box or a can will be cheaper in the long run. Saving on most things also give you money to splurge on costlier items. I spent money on good olive oil, Ezekiel bread and fig vinegar. I save on everything else. It helps if you plan your menus before shopping.

Check out the link in my sig.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi where you live? They have really cheap fruits and veggies!
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would recommend buying your fruits and veggies at farmer's markets when they're in season. They are more fresh and generally taste better and are cheaper. Sometimes if you watch store ads, they will have sales on Lean Cuisine's and frozen diet foods.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    so with whatever is in season fruit and veggie wise..like today I got strawberries for a dollar!!! Frozen veggies are a good cheaper alternative too!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I made frozen ravioli tonight with some spaghetti sauce....yummy! Filling, not horrible in the calorie department and they were "Great Value" from Walmart so I know it wasn't too expensive. Add a side salad and you are set!

Roast a whole turkey breast and you have several meals waiting from the original roasted turkey to turkey sandwiches, pulled turkey sandwiches, turkey soup.......

Buy chicken breasts on sale. Takes very little time to make your own HEALTHY homemade baked chicken strips.

Frozen vegetables are usually on sale and not very expensive even when not on sale.

Stay away from pre-packaged anything.

It takes a little planning ahead, but the time spent planning saves tons of time later when you are in a rush and need something quick.
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I found out this little trick. Right now buying a bag of brocolli is more than buying it fresh. So I bought a whack o' brocs , cut them up and frozen them in individual meal sizes. Did the same for other veggies when they are on sale. I heard something I haven't tried, but apparently when you cook them (if you don't steam them) and you throw a tsp of baking soda in the water, you can't even taste they were frozen.
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    canned tuna and lettuce
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Some family favorites: homemade spaghetti sauce, taco salad, egg dishes, bean dishes, oatmeal, peanut butter on whole wheat for breakfast.
  • GroovyGrubworm
    Options
    BUMP!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    in season fruits and veggies, start reading grocery store circulars on what fruits, veggies and meats are on sale every week, and frozen veggies (I always usually have frozen spinach and peas on hand) and if you do smoothies, frozen fruits (stock up when they are on sale).

also beans with quinoa (more protein and fiber than rice) or rice if you need to.

onions and garlic with (a very little bit) olive oil are a great starter to a lot of meals and make everything tastier.

I do healthy lasagna's (with 96% lean ground beef, mixture of fat free and reg ricotta) and frozen spinach, tomato sauce, goes far and is delicious and not too expensive considering I get 4 meals out of it!

also, make my own pizza using high-fiber flatbread with veggies and a little protein.

oatmeal for breakfast is filling and not expensive

and nut butters (peanut, almond, sunflower) are filling and a jar lasts me awhile (just make sure to buy with no added sugar.....just the nuts, sea salt and maybe a little oil.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Buy bulk when you can afford it and freeze what you're not using right away. I like canned tuna, TVP (textured vegetable protein, mix with ground meat to stretch it), fresh veggies, cereal, etc.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Let's see here:

Tuna
    Eggs
    Bag of Brown rice (the kind that takes a long time to cook)
    Split Chicken Breast (on sale right now at Bi-Lo for 89 cents a POUND)
    Spices (2 for 1.00 at most Dollar Stores)
    Canned Veggies (better than nothing just rinse really well before eating)
    Frozen veggies (about 1.12 a bag at Wal-Mart; sometimes less)
    Beans...any kind..Beans are GREAT and you can buy a bag for pennies (literally)
    Whole Wheat Noodles (1.00 at walmart)
    Mustard (a MUST..can give almost anything flavor)

Also, is there a Farmer's Market, an Aldi's or a Save-A-Lot near you? Aldi's has a REALLY REALLY great selection of low calories/low fat foods for a very low price...they also have good prices on meats and whole grains and their tuna is like 30 something cents a can!!.

Good Luck~ !! Shop well!
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    If you like tuna, this meal is super cheap ($3 max) and low in cals.
    1 large can of tuna or 2 small cans
    1/4 onion
    2 eggs
    cilantro
    cilantro (if you have any)
    salt, pepper, and paprika (optional)
    note: If you are missing cilantro, paprika, it's not a big deal. bellpeppers are also yum!
    Chop the onions and cilantro into small pieces. In a bowl, add the tuna, onion, cilantro, 2 eggs, salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix it well.
    For this amount, use a small/medium frying pan. Put it on medium fire. Add about 1TBSP of canola or olive oil. Add enough so that it covers the entire pan. Add your mixture, spread it so it covers the entire pan. Cook it on one side, flip it, and cook it on the other side.

You can follow the same steps and use carrots instead of tuna...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eggs,
    green leaf lettuce instead of bagged salad,
    Safeway has a store brand of whole wheat pasta.
    Generic cereal
    real (not instant) oatmeal
    Buy the lean hamburger in the tubes instead of the packages.
    Chicken thighs and drumsticks can be bought really cheaply, take the skin off.
    canned chicken breast
    brown rice
    I'm sure there's more....
  • nhgirl30
    nhgirl30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wathc your local grocery store flyers, buy produce that is on sale that week.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Everyone is giving you excellent ideas. Basically whole grains, in season, and on sale are the best bets, for things like rice, oatmeal, pasta if you eat it, sotre brands are just as good. Albertsons have their chicken breasts on sale for $1.19/lb this week (Im in phoenix so higher cost of living) I stocked up on those! 20 lbs for around $25? YES PLEASE! You can either put them in siplock freezer bags and press all the air out, or buy a vacuum sealer which I highly recommend. Iff you like smoothies look for Managers specials on the fresh fruit, this is the stuff that is super ripe but hasnt turned bad yet, take it home (if strawberries cut off the tops) and freeze it. Cheaper then the frozen stuff anytime of year, and ofcourse if it on sale stock up when you have the money! a simple, healthy yet yummy dessert is home made strawberries in syrup (1lb strawberries to about 5 tablespoons sugar) over angel food cake (minis at Sprouts have 130 cals) and some light whip cream. If you have a sprouts near you keep a super close eye! And go weeksly because when they get extra from a supplier theyll have unadvertised sales (all suppliers are usually within 300-500 miles, less if alot is grown locally like here) This week cantaloups and 1lb clams of strawberries 88cents. Watermelon 5lbs for $1. and even when things arent on sale its cheaper then albertson's Frys or Safeway here!
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    excellent awnsers you guys thanks for all your help :)
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    Revolutionwithin-How do you prepare them for freezing, and then would they be used like regular frozen veggies?