Guilt While Eating....

Options
Why do I constantly feel guilty about eating food that's not fruit or vegetables? I'm going out to brunch tomorrow so I can sample all the food that will be offered at my wedding reception and I'm like already freaking out. It's like I'm afraid to eat anything bad because it'll set me back and make me gain a zillion pounds. What is wrong with me?

I guess I just need someone to tell me it's okay to enjoy tomorrow morning and not feel guilty before, during, or after eating!!! UGH!!!!

Replies

• XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    It will be okay. One day isn't going to kill you. Especially if your just trying samples.
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    It will be okay. One day isn't going to kill you. Especially if your just trying samples.

Not quite sure it's "samples".... We're going for the brunch, which will be similar to the food being offered at my reception... it'll be full-size entrees....
  • XxBri22xX
    Options
    Oh I see. Well still, one day won't kill you. If you feel that guilty afterwards, just get back on track the next day. Get in some exercise. And remember, when your watching your weight, your not just limited to fruits and veggies. Other foods are okay as well. Its the portions you really have to watch.
  • shopgirl192
    Options
    Oh I see. Well still, one day won't kill you. If you feel that guilty afterwards, just get back on track the next day. Get in some exercise. And remember, when your watching your weight, your not just limited to fruits and veggies. Other foods are okay as well. Its the portions you really have to watch.

True! And I will absolutely be doing some exercise tomorrow! :)
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do not feel bad! Whilst planning a wedding these types of days are going to happen. It sounds like you are on track the rest of the time, so one day should not be to big a bump in the road. Have a big excercise session. If you are still freaking out and feeling bad, it might be worth looking a bit deeper into why? Are you afraid you will fall off the wagon? Do you think one day will make you gain etc....... Hang in there, we all have to fight the guilt, shame and fears...Have faith, we can do it :)
  • XxBri22xX
    Options
    Have fun! Don't stress too much and congrats on the wedding (:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    To me, there are no bad foods - just bad portion sizes. Enjoy yourself. Sample everything but don't eat large amounts of it. Feeling guilty about food isn't healthy and it's not constructive, either. Plus, on the day of your wedding, you can make an exception. One day will NOT wreck your health! Have fun! :drinker:
  • shopgirl192
    Options
    Thanks... I will try and follow all of your advice tomorrow! I will watch portions and make sure I include something from all the food groups!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    To me, there are no bad foods - just bad portion sizes. Enjoy yourself. Sample everything but don't eat large amounts of it. Feeling guilty about food isn't healthy and it's not constructive, either. Plus, on the day of your wedding, you can make an exception. One day will NOT wreck your health! Have fun! :drinker:

^^^^^^^
    THIS

We too often fall into the trap of thinking one food is good and another bad. There are things that are bad for you like foods with trans fat, but for the most part the issue is portions. Butter will not hurt you in say a teaspoon amount on your bread, but putting the tablespoon or more that most people put on a sandwich is not good for you because it is simply too big a portion for such a nutrient dense food. Enjoy the food and practice portion control. Remember you are there to taste it, you don't have to eat the whole plate full. Eat enough to get a good sense for it and whether you will be satisfied with it being served at your wedding. Then stop eating.
  • sae1316
    sae1316 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could eat something light early before you go, like fruit and yogurt, so you won't be starving when you get there. Then plan on having a lighter dinner...but don't skip any meals to try and make up for it. Just plan ahead and you'll be fine. You can't undo months of hard work in just one day. Your getting married soon! Relax and have a wonderful day :drinker:
  • shopgirl192
    Options
    Maybe you could eat something light early before you go, like fruit and yogurt, so you won't be starving when you get there. Then plan on having a lighter dinner...but don't skip any meals to try and make up for it. Just plan ahead and you'll be fine. You can't undo months of hard work in just one day. Your getting married soon! Relax and have a wonderful day :drinker:

I was planning on eating a vanilla yogurt and a banana before I go! :) Good thinking!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on your lifestyle change? I think most of us know what you mean. I've been through the exact same thing, and after a few months, you lose that guilt. If you're anything like I used to be, you feel that guilt because you have a certain goal, by a certain time and you think every little indulgence will mess that up. But once you get in a groove of things, you'll understand how things work and you become less obsessed with it.

A lot of people give the advice where if you have a binge one day, forget it happened and go back to normal tomorrow; don't try to "make it up" the following day. I used to get upset reading that and I would fast the next day because I didn't believe them. I now realize they were completely right. Not only does a "bad day" every once in a while, boost your metabolism, but it really doesn't do anything negative to your goal in the long run. Unless of course you're over by 4000 calories in a day. :) It took time to notice my weight loss patterns to understand that and you will too.

Have that burger or order of fries once in awhile and realize, it really does not matter. Eventually you'll get to the point where certain foods that you feel guilty about now, you won't have a desire for At. All. I can vouch for that personally.
  • shopgirl192
    Options
    How long have you been on your lifestyle change? I think most of us know what you mean. I've been through the exact same thing, and after a few months, you lose that guilt. If you're anything like I used to be, you feel that guilt because you have a certain goal, by a certain time and you think every little indulgence will mess that up. But once you get in a groove of things, you'll understand how things work and you become less obsessed with it.

A lot of people give the advice where if you have a binge one day, forget it happened and go back to normal tomorrow; don't try to "make it up" the following day. I used to get upset reading that and I would fast the next day because I didn't believe them. I now realize they were completely right. Not only does a "bad day" every once in a while, boost your metabolism, but it really doesn't do anything negative to your goal in the long run. Unless of course you're over by 4000 calories in a day. :) It took time to notice my weight loss patterns to understand that and you will too.

Have that burger or order of fries once in awhile and realize, it really does not matter. Eventually you'll get to the point where certain foods that you feel guilty about now, you won't have a desire for At. All. I can vouch for that personally.

I started changing my eating habits February of 2010 and have lost almost 90 pounds. I'm at my goal weight, but I just struggle with allowing myself to eat "bad" food... I've been on vacation in my parent's house for almost 3 weeks and have been eating almost perfectly.... I just can't seem to suck it up and get over the guilt.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congrats! Secondly, that's fine and understandable. It seems you're afraid of going back to the way you were 90 pounds ago (correct me if I'm wrong?). The only advice I can give is befriend some of us who have been through the same thing. Seeing our diaries and loss, you might be able to grasp how miniscule the "bad" food is every once in awhile. You've done wonderfully and should not make yourself be afraid of certain foods. :-)
  • shopgirl192
    Options
    Firstly, congrats! Secondly, that's fine and understandable. It seems you're afraid of going back to the way you were 90 pounds ago (correct me if I'm wrong?). The only advice I can give is befriend some of us who have been through the same thing. Seeing our diaries and loss, you might be able to grasp how miniscule the "bad" food is every once in awhile. You've done wonderfully and should not make yourself be afraid of certain foods. :-)

I'm confident that I will never go back to the way I was.... I'm just worried that eating too much in one sitting will make me gain weight, which deep down, I know won't happen... I'm just slightly OCD about it! And thank you for your kind words!