Review of Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer

Options
Check out this review I found, it was done by a personal trainer.

I just thought I would share what I've found.

Sunday, July 27, 2008
Review: Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer Workout

ABOUT ME:I'm a professional artist, a certified personal trainer, writing a fictional novel. I have both a Fine Art and a Business/Marketing Degree. I'm also a happily married mom of two. I'm simply trying to find the balance between what is desirable, what is achievable, and what is going to work in reality long term with my life. Welcome to my world of Daily Chaos!

I've been asked to look at Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer and to review it. What this really means is that I get to play. I have a lot of things that I do, but the only thing that can truly be counted as a hobby would probably be fitness. I'm dedicated, and slightly addicted to getting into anything new in the industry, as long as it isn't stupid like "lose 10 lbs with this amazing tooth brush!" or any other magic-in-a-bottle dangerous lies. I'm addicted to real fitness, not false promises. I just don't have time to waste on nonsense.

Now, my review of P90X is still dead on in my opinion. I still have the DVD set, and I still go through it here and there when the mood strikes me. However, the one big problem with P90X for most people is that while the idea of it sparks fire (not to mention the images people see in the infomercials), the body is often not at that point yet. They just cannot physically do it. P90X is not an "off the couch into a lunge" kind of program.

But you know what? Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer is, and I think that is why I'm actually impressed with the system. I didn't expect to be. I have a lot of respect for Tony Horton, but let's be honest - saying only 10 minutes to someone like me does not inspire confidence in a program. I'm a personal trainer, and in the end 10 minutes is NOT enough, and everyone pretty much knows that... but let me back up for a minute here.

The 10 Minute Trainer is another set of DVDs (mine came with two DVDs that contained a 10 minute routine for Cardio, Total Body, Lower Body, Yoga, and Abs) as well as a resistance band, and a belt kit (I'll explain this in a bit) and several little pamphlets of information. There was also a cool little flash-card set of a 10 minute workout you could take with you in your purse on business trips and easily do in your hotel room.

Breaking it down further the DVD workouts are 10 minutes of ACTUAL working out, so technically when there is a switch from one exercise to another the clock stops for a moment - and it should. I mention this because you need to plan for the time involved which is about 12-14 minutes per 10 minute workout (depending on how long it takes to swap workouts and get them loaded on your DVD player.) This is important to note because the program highly encourages "stacking" of the workouts. The schedule included has three listed per day, one day off a week (that's six days of working out, 30 minutes per day - suddenly it sounds a lot more realistic.) Now, you don't have to do the extra workouts - but they're there. They're encouraged.

I was highly relieved when I saw that schedule stacking line-up. After doing the workouts, I have to say that I was impressed because this program is really accessible to everyone. This can absolutely be the ice breaker for you to get into shape, or back into shape - whichever.

If you can only do a half-energy 10 minutes per day, that's fine! Because you have room to work up to the next level, and you will improve. If you need to split it up, you can do that too. If you are so busy you can only find time to pop one in and no others, well at least you did that! Breaking down a 30 minute workout into 10 minute increments means that people who need a place to start have it, and those who fall out of sync easily can stay on track in just a few minutes without starting down that path of "well I missed my workout, all is lost, lets pitch it all out the window... where are my cupcakes?" It gives you a place to hold on to your plan - even if it's only that 10 minutes.

Now, on to the equipment. There is a belt-kit in the box. What this does is allow you to tether yourself to a wall, with a resistance band (included) pulling you back. I cannot tell you how much fun I had with this. It's not at the level I want to try it (as seen in the 300 movie training videos), but I probably spent an extra 40 minutes bouncing around my basement, just playing, jogging out and letting it pull me back (and laughing myself silly the whole time. My husband kept demanding his turn, and thought it was fun too.) A word of caution here, be careful. Sometimes you get that forward momentum going and then realize the backward stabilization you thought would kick in...doesn't. If you're imaging me sling-shotting across the room right now, you aren't far off.

I started with the included resistance band, but I am glad I had my own set here (I got from a sporting goods store eons ago.) I just needed a heavier resistance level, and you will find as your fitness increases you will too. The band included is decent quality though, and there is an upgrade called the 10 minute Trainer Deluxe Workout. I did not have this, so I can't speak on the additional workouts (but I was glad to see they had an upper body focused one there. It's a shame all of them weren't combined into one package.)

The plan does come with an eating layout. It is not anything like P90X, which came with a whole layout of a major dietary program with recipes and everything. But it does have some general guidelines which are all good.

There is also a 10-day Lean Jean plan in there. This... well, quite frankly, this annoyed me. Basically it's 1,000 calories per day for women, 1,200 for men, for 10 days. I suppose if you are only doing 10 minutes per day, you could manage to do your workout and not pass out into a complete coma with only 1,000 calories a day, but seriously!

Look, the key to fitness is to find balance and health within yourself. This means treating your body with respect. Respect means eating healthy, eating the correct amount at reasonable times, and supporting the activities your body faces day in and day out. This "Lean Jean" program is a gimmick to inspire you - a quick fix, and fast weight loss so you are "hooked", instead of focusing on long-term weightloss with establishing a good solid plan. But I really think that everyone is smarter than that. Everyone knows that if you only ate 1,000-1,200 calories a day we'd lose weight - and that 1,000 calories a day isn't enough.

Maybe I'm delusional, and the public just really wants that miracle in a moment treatment still, after all these decades of stupid stunts. But anyone who is SERIOUS about their health, whether they're just starting into it or have gone round and round with it - you know deep down that it isn't about instant fixes. It's about doing the right thing, right now, for today. Not lowering your calories to stupidly low levels in order to satisfy your instant gratification.

If you are into your health, then you know that true instant gratification comes from the charge you get in doing the right thing in all those little moments scattered throughout the day. Picking an apple over the apple tart, taking that walk instead of lounging around doing nothing. Instant gratification fades. It ends, and then we're searching for our next fix. Doing the right thing creates a solid, real long term gratification. A place where you can wake up every day without regret about what you ate or workout you skipped yesterday - and a strong, lean, healthy body, because YOU MADE IT THAT WAY.

My life, my health, my fitness is longer than 10 days.

So, do I recommend that 10 day "Lean Jean" plan? No. But I DO recommend the healthy eating guidelines included with the main program (multiple smaller meals - 5-6 a day, broken up. Healthy choices.) Both are in the box.

Overall, the program is a PERFECT starting point for beginners (who are cleared by their doctor to workout.) It lets you start with as little or as much as you think you can take and work within your own limitations. The band is good, the belt is fun... er, I mean it provides additional exercise benefits (this is also true.) The workouts are shot in a well lighted studio with Tony Horton "training" a woman (just one for each workout.) Everything is explained and easy to follow. Tony Horton is upbeat and kind, not annoying and arrogant.

Is it a good long term program for the consumer already working out at a more than average level? No. It's a good filler, though. It lets you shake things up and maintain a level of fitness on a lighter level for a little while; but, if you are used to hitting the iron (like me) it's light. However, for the average person out there? It's a a well placed, nicely done program with everything you need in one box to get started.
Posted by SavyArt at 9:52 AM
Labels: beginner exercise, Exercise, Tony Horton, Tony Horton's 10 minute Trainer

Let me know what you think of this review and add your own if you have one. The more info. we have, the better decisions we can make.

Replies

• tookieb
    tookieb Posts: 89
    Options
    Check out this review I found, it was done by a personal trainer.

I just thought I would share what I've found.

Sunday, July 27, 2008
    Review: Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer Workout

ABOUT ME:I'm a professional artist, a certified personal trainer, writing a fictional novel. I have both a Fine Art and a Business/Marketing Degree. I'm also a happily married mom of two. I'm simply trying to find the balance between what is desirable, what is achievable, and what is going to work in reality long term with my life. Welcome to my world of Daily Chaos!

I've been asked to look at Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer and to review it. What this really means is that I get to play. I have a lot of things that I do, but the only thing that can truly be counted as a hobby would probably be fitness. I'm dedicated, and slightly addicted to getting into anything new in the industry, as long as it isn't stupid like "lose 10 lbs with this amazing tooth brush!" or any other magic-in-a-bottle dangerous lies. I'm addicted to real fitness, not false promises. I just don't have time to waste on nonsense.

Now, my review of P90X is still dead on in my opinion. I still have the DVD set, and I still go through it here and there when the mood strikes me. However, the one big problem with P90X for most people is that while the idea of it sparks fire (not to mention the images people see in the infomercials), the body is often not at that point yet. They just cannot physically do it. P90X is not an "off the couch into a lunge" kind of program.

But you know what? Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer is, and I think that is why I'm actually impressed with the system. I didn't expect to be. I have a lot of respect for Tony Horton, but let's be honest - saying only 10 minutes to someone like me does not inspire confidence in a program. I'm a personal trainer, and in the end 10 minutes is NOT enough, and everyone pretty much knows that... but let me back up for a minute here.

The 10 Minute Trainer is another set of DVDs (mine came with two DVDs that contained a 10 minute routine for Cardio, Total Body, Lower Body, Yoga, and Abs) as well as a resistance band, and a belt kit (I'll explain this in a bit) and several little pamphlets of information. There was also a cool little flash-card set of a 10 minute workout you could take with you in your purse on business trips and easily do in your hotel room.

Breaking it down further the DVD workouts are 10 minutes of ACTUAL working out, so technically when there is a switch from one exercise to another the clock stops for a moment - and it should. I mention this because you need to plan for the time involved which is about 12-14 minutes per 10 minute workout (depending on how long it takes to swap workouts and get them loaded on your DVD player.) This is important to note because the program highly encourages "stacking" of the workouts. The schedule included has three listed per day, one day off a week (that's six days of working out, 30 minutes per day - suddenly it sounds a lot more realistic.) Now, you don't have to do the extra workouts - but they're there. They're encouraged.

I was highly relieved when I saw that schedule stacking line-up. After doing the workouts, I have to say that I was impressed because this program is really accessible to everyone. This can absolutely be the ice breaker for you to get into shape, or back into shape - whichever.

If you can only do a half-energy 10 minutes per day, that's fine! Because you have room to work up to the next level, and you will improve. If you need to split it up, you can do that too. If you are so busy you can only find time to pop one in and no others, well at least you did that! Breaking down a 30 minute workout into 10 minute increments means that people who need a place to start have it, and those who fall out of sync easily can stay on track in just a few minutes without starting down that path of "well I missed my workout, all is lost, lets pitch it all out the window... where are my cupcakes?" It gives you a place to hold on to your plan - even if it's only that 10 minutes.

Now, on to the equipment. There is a belt-kit in the box. What this does is allow you to tether yourself to a wall, with a resistance band (included) pulling you back. I cannot tell you how much fun I had with this. It's not at the level I want to try it (as seen in the 300 movie training videos), but I probably spent an extra 40 minutes bouncing around my basement, just playing, jogging out and letting it pull me back (and laughing myself silly the whole time. My husband kept demanding his turn, and thought it was fun too.) A word of caution here, be careful. Sometimes you get that forward momentum going and then realize the backward stabilization you thought would kick in...doesn't. If you're imaging me sling-shotting across the room right now, you aren't far off.

I started with the included resistance band, but I am glad I had my own set here (I got from a sporting goods store eons ago.) I just needed a heavier resistance level, and you will find as your fitness increases you will too. The band included is decent quality though, and there is an upgrade called the 10 minute Trainer Deluxe Workout. I did not have this, so I can't speak on the additional workouts (but I was glad to see they had an upper body focused one there. It's a shame all of them weren't combined into one package.)

The plan does come with an eating layout. It is not anything like P90X, which came with a whole layout of a major dietary program with recipes and everything. But it does have some general guidelines which are all good.

There is also a 10-day Lean Jean plan in there. This... well, quite frankly, this annoyed me. Basically it's 1,000 calories per day for women, 1,200 for men, for 10 days. I suppose if you are only doing 10 minutes per day, you could manage to do your workout and not pass out into a complete coma with only 1,000 calories a day, but seriously!

Look, the key to fitness is to find balance and health within yourself. This means treating your body with respect. Respect means eating healthy, eating the correct amount at reasonable times, and supporting the activities your body faces day in and day out. This "Lean Jean" program is a gimmick to inspire you - a quick fix, and fast weight loss so you are "hooked", instead of focusing on long-term weightloss with establishing a good solid plan. But I really think that everyone is smarter than that. Everyone knows that if you only ate 1,000-1,200 calories a day we'd lose weight - and that 1,000 calories a day isn't enough.

Maybe I'm delusional, and the public just really wants that miracle in a moment treatment still, after all these decades of stupid stunts. But anyone who is SERIOUS about their health, whether they're just starting into it or have gone round and round with it - you know deep down that it isn't about instant fixes. It's about doing the right thing, right now, for today. Not lowering your calories to stupidly low levels in order to satisfy your instant gratification.

If you are into your health, then you know that true instant gratification comes from the charge you get in doing the right thing in all those little moments scattered throughout the day. Picking an apple over the apple tart, taking that walk instead of lounging around doing nothing. Instant gratification fades. It ends, and then we're searching for our next fix. Doing the right thing creates a solid, real long term gratification. A place where you can wake up every day without regret about what you ate or workout you skipped yesterday - and a strong, lean, healthy body, because YOU MADE IT THAT WAY.

My life, my health, my fitness is longer than 10 days.

So, do I recommend that 10 day "Lean Jean" plan? No. But I DO recommend the healthy eating guidelines included with the main program (multiple smaller meals - 5-6 a day, broken up. Healthy choices.) Both are in the box.

Overall, the program is a PERFECT starting point for beginners (who are cleared by their doctor to workout.) It lets you start with as little or as much as you think you can take and work within your own limitations. The band is good, the belt is fun... er, I mean it provides additional exercise benefits (this is also true.) The workouts are shot in a well lighted studio with Tony Horton "training" a woman (just one for each workout.) Everything is explained and easy to follow. Tony Horton is upbeat and kind, not annoying and arrogant.

Is it a good long term program for the consumer already working out at a more than average level? No. It's a good filler, though. It lets you shake things up and maintain a level of fitness on a lighter level for a little while; but, if you are used to hitting the iron (like me) it's light. However, for the average person out there? It's a a well placed, nicely done program with everything you need in one box to get started.
    Posted by SavyArt at 9:52 AM
    Labels: beginner exercise, Exercise, Tony Horton, Tony Horton's 10 minute Trainer

Let me know what you think of this review and add your own if you have one. The more info. we have, the better decisions we can make.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a great review!! I agree wholeheartedly!! Tony has the best programs out there, I have his P90X, P90, P90 Masters, One on Ones, 10 min trainers, etc. There's a program out there and just starting w/ 10 min a day is GREAT! P90X is my favorite but I know if I hadn't been in shape to start with it would have about killed me! :huh:

I agree that 1,000 cals a day is too low. But it does make people think about their calories, much like using MFP.

Thanks for posting the review!

Jess
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was worried when I saw that there was a review for the 10 min trainer...cause I just bought it and I thought you were going to say horrible things about it! haha
    Glad to hear that you being a trainer think this is a good way to "start" getting back into shape. I am only on day 3 and you don't realize how out of shape you are until you start doing this workout.
    I think I would die if I could only eat 1,000 cal a day though, MFP is a much better way of tracking what you eat - you just have to be a little more cautious with your food choices & empty calories.

Thanks for taking the time to write that review - it's a little reassuring to hear it from something other than an infomercial! :happy:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This is why I love Beachbody's programs in general... they aren't random videos making empty promises... but they are well designed fully rounded programs (as long as people read the instruction books and look at the workout calendars they come with). I can attest to their products, as can Jess! Heck, if you don't blink, you'll even see my boyfriend and I for, like, one second in the P90X infomercial... hahah. Love their stuff! I agree with this review... very nicely written (and the part about playing around with the waist band thing *raises hand* I'm guilty... hahaha... it's fun).
  • tookieb
    tookieb Posts: 89
    Options
    I was worried when I saw that there was a review for the 10 min trainer...cause I just bought it and I thought you were going to say horrible things about it! haha
    Glad to hear that you being a trainer think this is a good way to "start" getting back into shape. I am only on day 3 and you don't realize how out of shape you are until you start doing this workout.
    I think I would die if I could only eat 1,000 cal a day though, MFP is a much better way of tracking what you eat - you just have to be a little more cautious with your food choices & empty calories.

Thanks for taking the time to write that review - it's a little reassuring to hear it from something other than an infomercial! :happy:
    Whooa! I'm not the trainer (I wish I was in shape enough to be a trainer), I was just interested in the DVD's and was doing some research on the product before I bought it. This is just one review I found. To see the actual review go to :

http://shapingmyway.blogspot.com/2008/07/review-tony-hortons-10-minute-trainer.html

Let me know what you think of the 10 minute trainer.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sorry....I misread the very beginning...thought YOU were the personal trainer actually writing the review.
    yeah, for sure I'll keep ya posted on how it goes.:tongue:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Sorry....I misread the very beginning...thought YOU were the personal trainer actually writing the review.
    yeah, for sure I'll keep ya posted on how it goes.:tongue:

Oh, me too! Oops!! :laugh:

Jess
  • egrif1
    egrif1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    At the very beginning where it says ABOUT ME: it states you are a certified personal trainer. So everyone will be misled.
  • shaejanner
    shaejanner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At the very very beginning it says it was a review she FOUND by a personal trainer. Then she cut and pasted the review from 2008.
    I found this all very helpful. Going to a Fit Club tonight where they are demonstrating this program. Can't wait to try it out.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something I could get into!
    Thanks for the review!!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have the 10 minute trainer as well and they are excellent for waking my fanny up in the morning....10 minutes is about all I have time for then and it's perfect. :)