OOlong Tea

Options
I am posting this in general and food and nutrition
Anyone out there drink oolong tea? I have been drinking it for about a month and love the taste, I am not use I buy the "magic" weightloss theory, but It is good.
I buy mine at a local oriental grocery for about $1.50 a box.
Just looking for peoples thoughts on this and all the websites out there for Wu yi, etc.
:drinker:

Replies

• gazellegirl
    gazellegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there drink oolong tea? I have been drinking it for about a month and love the taste, I am not use I buy the "magic" weightloss theory, but It is good.
    Just looking for peoples thoughts on this and all the websites out there for Wu yi, etc.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    ViewonCompMoniter.gif

Tell me, tell me tell me MORE... :huh: I love to learn about new things......what the heck is it? and I do so love my TEAS....currently I'm a decaf lemon grass green tea girl......chalkfacegirl.gif

rollingsmileyfacemedsize.gif
  • gazellegirl
    gazellegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    well if you do a search on the internet you will get about a million hits, many of them having to do with weight loss. Most of these sites are trying to sell wu yi aka oolong for $60 to $100 for a months supply. I found the success stories interesting, kinda one of those too good to be true things. However I too like tea, so I did some shopping around town and have found it in several places, healthfood stores, oriental groceries, etc. The price is much more reasonable. The instructions usually have you drinking two cups a day, 1/2 hour before breakfast and dinner. I am pretty good about the morning cup, but often am drinking the dinner one with my meal due to time. I don't really know that it has made a huge amount of difference in my weightloss, but who knows.
    I have read that it is a tea that has been used in china for years and that helps the asian people stay slim? hee hee
    I guess I know more than I thought. I just worry about all those people out there who are spending ridiculous amounts on a tea you can get cheap, probably right around the corner.
    I love the flavor, but it is a pretty dark, heavy tea,
    I am surprised that you haven't heard anything about it.
    :flowerforyou:
  • burb265
    Options
    I drink tea like most people drink coffee. I drink lots of oolong tea and it hasn't helped with my weight loss. I took a trip to China and our favorite Tea Lady said she drank white tea too lose the weight she gained when she was pregnant. I didn't care for the white tea as much so I didn't buy any of it. Maybe I should have since the Tea Lady weighed about 50 pounds soaking wet.
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I love oolong tea...just about any tea really. Ever since I started drinking it (about 6 years ago) I haven't touched a cup of coffee. I've been drinking a lot of Wu Long tea lately and it's the same "miracle weight loss" buzz you hear about Oolong.

Tea is great for anyone on a diet or just trying to eat healthier. I wouldn't say it will help you lose weight, but I think most people don't take into account the calories in their drinks. Tea has little to no calories and tastes just wonderful (in my opinion) without sugar.

I love to sweeten mine up with a slice of orange. mmmmmm...I think I'm going to go make me a cup now!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love tea! Now that I stop drinking coffee. I will take a look at this sound good. :bigsmile:
  • HustleRose
    Options
    "I've been drinking a lot of Wu Long tea lately and it's the same "miracle weight loss" buzz you hear about Oolong."

Lol, that's because it's the same tea.

Both Oolong/Wu Long and green teas do help somewhat with weight loss; they can speed your metabolism and help decrease appetite, but they're not going to give you any drastic results.

They'll never be a replacement for proper eating habits and exercise, but they can be a good addition to a healthy lifestyle, if only because they'll help replace unhealthier drinks like coffee and pop.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I love to sweeten mine up with a slice of orange. mmmmmm...I think I'm going to go make me a cup now!:drinker: :bigsmile:

Oh what a lovely idea...I had never even thought to slip in an orange slice...mmmm Thank you!

That's what makes MFP so great...sharing cool ideas like this! :heart:

Well I don't know anything about my Lemon Grass decaf Green Tea being a weighloss tea...but I find it very calming, warming on a cool Fall day, and so soothing to either wake up to or drink before bed:heart::drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

is it decaf by chance? I am such a high energy person already...the last thing I need is caffeine....:huh: :bigsmile:
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    most tea except for black tea are either very low in caffeine or don't have any at all.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Here is some OOlong tea info. If you are using it for weight lose you would probably be better off drinking green tea.

Oolong tea which is also known as wu long tea or brown tea, is a cross between green tea and black tea. However this tea type has more green characteristics than black.

I would like to state that throughout this page you will see switching between "oolong" and "wu long". Keep in mind that I am referring to the same type...they are indeed the same.

Oolong tea like all tea types comes from the same Camellia sinensis tea plant, and as stated above is a type in between green and black teas.

This is because the tea leaves are processed more than green tea leaves, but are not allowed to fully oxidize as the case with black tea. This tea is considered a semi-oxidized tea, and depending on the processing, which can vary between 10 to 70 percent oxidation, yields many varieties.

The brew of oolong tea is sometimes brown, hence the name brown tea, yet sometimes gives a golden-like glow, this of course depending on the variety. The taste can be either woody or flowery as well.

The Health Benefits

Like white and green teas, oolong has many health benefits to offer. This tea has proven to destroy free radicals, which are known to cause certain cancers and even aging of the skin. A list of benefits include:

A stronger immune system

Healthy teeth

Younger looking skin

Aids in weight loss

Now while weight loss seems to be the most common benefit associated with wu long tea that I have come across, the above list gives us more insight .

More Focus On Weight Loss

Oolong tea has helped many folks lose weight.

Like green tea, oolong has the same calorie burning catechin polyphenols that along with proper dieting and exercise can help folks shed some pounds.

By inducing "thermogenesis", the act of the body heating up which results in greater fat oxidation, studies have shown that this tea helps control obesity. Drinking 3 cups a day can bring noticeable results in under one month.

Should Folks Buy Oolong Online?

Yes, but only if purchased from reputable merchants. Another thing to consider is buying it in loose leaf form. That way folks can obtain the true unique flavor this tea offers and absorb more health benefits due to more essential oils being present. Adagio Teas is one I recommend for folks, and offers a nice selection worth checking out.

Another interesting thing about wu long tea is the way it is processed. The processing involved with brown tea compared to green or black tea types is more complex.

Oxidation plays a big role on what variety of oolong tea a farmer will produce. However, wu long tea leaves are only partially oxidized, and not fully oxidized. As noted above, black tea is the only type that is fully fermented.

What is the history behind this tea?

Oolong tea has an entertaining history, which includes both legend and fact.

Oolong means "black dragon" in Chinese, and as legend tells it, was invented by accident. The story goes that one day a tea farmer was out in his garden tending to his withering tea leaves when he was startled by a black serpent and ran off.

When he returned a couple of days later he found that his tea leaves have been oxidized by the sun, and out of curiosity brewed them to find it gave a pleasant taste.

The best oolong tea comes from Taiwan!

It is said that the finest oolongs comes from Taiwan where they are grown at high elevations in cool climates.

In the past Taiwan exported most of its tea, but today the people have become more adapted to their native beverage. With decades of news about health benefits along with the natural progression of culture, presently only about two percent of Taiwan’s tea is exported.

China too produces some fine oolong teas and is in fact the birthplace of oolong as with all tea types. It wasn't until around 1810 where the tea made its journey to Taiwan, which at the time was a part of China