On Biggest Loser how do they lose so much weight so fast??

Options
How on Biggest Loser are they losing like 8 to 10 pounds a week? is that even safe?? If it is I want the secret, im busting chops and not seeing that big of a loss

Replies

• claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You have to keep in mind how insane their diets are before the show and their starting weights!!
    As well because they are in a controlled environment a lot of them put the weight back on after... surely it's better to lose less and take longer and keep it off than have a crash diet and put it all back on!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    First of all most of those people are beyond morbidly obese on the fat scale and secondly your body has no trouble dropping gross amounts of fat when your that overweight and start eating less and getting any exercise.
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    as others have said they are very big to start with , and do like 6 hours in the gym a day , their weight loss normally does not stay as high when they get to a smaller weight , dont try and lose that much at once just end up putting it all back on
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Although I am addicted to watching the biggest loser- I know that it is not a sustainable way of losing/keeping the weight off. They eat about 1200 calories a day, and exercise 6-8 hours per day.

There are many previous contestants who have regained a lot of their weight back, as well as a few who have developed an eating disorder.

Once they go out into the real world and dont have access to the gym 8 hours a day then their weight loss slows down- as they have to contend with real life like the rest of us!
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    Guess I wasnt thinking about it alot of them are very big thanks for the input greatly appreciated!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I saw a blog once written by one of the Biggest Loser contestants - what we see as one week is sometimes actually more like 10 days to 2 weeks - also it is a very unatural environment that is not sustainable in the long run - 5 - 6 hours of exercise a day...
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    They are in an ideal environment conducive to weight loss. They eat super low calorie foods, they don't have the stresses and temptations that they do at home, and they are in the gym or doing something physical for many hours during the day. A lot of them start out pretty large too, which in turn makes them lose weight a lot more quickly in the beginning.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    There are many previous contestants who have regained a lot of their weight back, as well as a few who have developed an eating disorder.

Id be interested where you got this info from, easy to say but where did you quote that from?
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Those people's metabolisms are so damaged by the end of the show that they would gain their weight back in no time.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Have someone scream at you...that apparently does it :p
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    Although I am addicted to watching the biggest loser- I know that it is not a sustainable way of losing/keeping the weight off. They eat about 1200 calories a day, and exercise 6-8 hours per day.

Once they go out into the real world and dont have access to the gym 8 hours a day then their weight loss slows down- as they have to contend with real life like the rest of us!

This is true. I read an article about it once. They only eat 1200 calories and work out for like 10 hours a day. It's torture really. I don't know how anybody who does that (especially being that big) isn't starving or in extreme pain.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - I am surprised how many of them gained quite a bit of their weight back.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Restricting calories and exercising 4, or possibly more hours a day.