Old Clothes, What to do

Options
jhardenbergh
jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
I have acquired quite a wardrobe ranging in sizes from 4xl to xl and pants from 50 waist to 40 waist. I would hate to just throw out some of these clothes especially the larger sized ones. Not because I think I will need them in the future, but they were very expensive stuff. You can take pants in but jersey type shirts can't be taken in. I know I could donate them to salvation army or throw them in one of those drop boxes you see scattered around town, but I was wondering are there any consignment stores for men? I know there are tons for women, my wife just bought a $100 pair of Seven jeans for $3. Are there any easy to use websites that I could put them on, or does anyone here need larger sized clothes.

Replies

• endgame013
    Options
    I worked at a consignment shop... most only do take clothes from women... or very in fashion M and L mens shirts... not the pants really... so it would take quite some time to find somewhere to take those... but congratulations for all that weight loss and good luck with the clothes
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    put an ad in the classifieds if your looking to sell them. there are some men consignment shops wheather in your area or not is the question. there is also a website called cheapcycle.com (where you sell stuff cheap) also freecycle.com or maybe it is .net i forget.
    make sure you get rid of them wheather it is sell or give them away. dont allow yourself to get back to that size by having the comfort of bigger clothes around you. i try to get rid of mine as soon as i get into the next size. that way if i notice my pants getting snug it time to tighten up.
    congrats on your loss btw.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    ebay is your friend
  • Shouldabeenaninja
    Shouldabeenaninja Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    EBAY! I've only lost 2 dress sizes, but have made good money over the last month and a half with it (by selling the stuff that's too big now), and have been able to purchase new stuff, or you can use PayPal at other sites too. For some reason, plus size clothes sell SOOOOO fast on there. It's easy to use once you get the hang of it. I WISH someone would've told me how easy it is, because I have given SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much stuff to Goodwill, that I paid good money for, and could've gotten some of it back.

Hopefully that helps! Happy Shopping! :)
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I imagine there must be consignment stores that take mens clothes and that would jump at a chance to get good mens clothing in these sizes. I know there are stores near me that take mens things. It's always great to find good quality menswear in these stores. The other approach is to advertise and sell online. Check out kijiji. It's a free classified advertising site. It's way better than ebay because you don't have to pay for your posting and it's all between you and your customers, face-to-face once you make the connection. You can also try the old method of putting up a couple of paper ads in grocery stores and laundromats. The other way to think is that by donating these items to a charity for them to sell you are "blessing the world" by sharing your good fortune both at being able to buy the things in the first place and in having lost enough weight to need to let them go. You might even get a tax receipt??? If you give them away they will be another burden off your body and soul, just like the weight you lost. You didn't keep those pounds in a box thinking you or someone might use them later, right? If clothes are your second skin, or fur, or whatever then they can be shed with the weight -- guilt free! There now... I'm going upstairs now to shed a bunch of my no-longer-fitting clothes. Ha ha.
    Cheers!