Its been 6 months...

Options
and only 2 lbs have been lost. I need some advise from you busy moms out there. When I say I'm busy I really mean I am busy. I am a Surgery Veterinary Technician, and I work about 11-12 hours a day, with only 1 30 min lunch. So I don't always have time to eat healthy...I acually walk to get my lunch and I walk back. (not far, but a little fresh air is definatly a must in the surgery field...humans or animals) I hardly ever get time to work out, I got a treadmil for my spare room so I could walk while dinner is cooking. But I have 2 kids, one is 2 yr and 1 is 7 yr. there is always homework, or bath time, or reading time, or bedtime....and to top off the fact that I don't have enough time in the day, I am a bored eater....I eat when I am bored, and my husband works 2 jobs, I am gone by the time he wakes up and I am sleeping when he gets home...so at 10 at night when I can't sleep ( very often ) I eat!!! I have tried alot to stop this, but I don't know how. I really need help. I try to at least eat healthy, celery or carrots with peanut butter or something, but at 10 pm, not even healthy eating is okay. I never go over my calorie allowance, but I'm sure that the reason I am not losing anything is because I eat 75% of my calories after 7 pm at night...
I know I am not the only person here with kids, a highly demanding job that takes up most of my time, and a husband that is never here to help me.

Please, I don't take constructive critism well, but I think that is what I need right now.

Replies

• roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    and only 2 lbs have been lost. I need some advise from you busy moms out there. When I say I'm busy I really mean I am busy. I am a Surgery Veterinary Technician, and I work about 11-12 hours a day, with only 1 30 min lunch. So I don't always have time to eat healthy...I acually walk to get my lunch and I walk back. (not far, but a little fresh air is definatly a must in the surgery field...humans or animals) I hardly ever get time to work out, I got a treadmil for my spare room so I could walk while dinner is cooking. But I have 2 kids, one is 2 yr and 1 is 7 yr. there is always homework, or bath time, or reading time, or bedtime....and to top off the fact that I don't have enough time in the day, I am a bored eater....I eat when I am bored, and my husband works 2 jobs, I am gone by the time he wakes up and I am sleeping when he gets home...so at 10 at night when I can't sleep ( very often ) I eat!!! I have tried alot to stop this, but I don't know how. I really need help. I try to at least eat healthy, celery or carrots with peanut butter or something, but at 10 pm, not even healthy eating is okay. I never go over my calorie allowance, but I'm sure that the reason I am not losing anything is because I eat 75% of my calories after 7 pm at night...
    I know I am not the only person here with kids, a highly demanding job that takes up most of my time, and a husband that is never here to help me.

Please, I don't take constructive critism well, but I think that is what I need right now.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    First of all, that is an insane schedule! You're amazing for being able to do it all. With that said, any way you can get a little more time for you in your day? It sounds like having a little more time might make it easier to do what you need to take care of yourself.

Second, can you try the six small meals approach? If you aren't eatting much until night time, then your body is going to starve all day and work extra hard to hold onto what it gets at night. Which is especially easy if you are eatting most of your calories before bedtime. Even three balanced meals a day would be better if that is more realistic.

Lastly, I would check your numbers. It sounds like you are really active during the day. Be careful you aren't eatting too few calories that you don't make up for all that time spent on your feet.

You can do this! Make yourself a priority and change some habits. You will get there! :flowerforyou:
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    Thank you, I never thought about it like that. The 6 meals thing, I tried really hard, but I can't break away from what I do to eat something...often my belly growls, but I'm scrubbed in and sterile during surgery and I really can't. I never really looked at my schedual as being so hectic until now...and I just recently added the role as "soccer mom" my son just started soccer, so thats 2 more nights a week I'm not getting home until after 8...uuhhhgggg...There just is not enough hours in the day. I'm allowed 1826 calories a day, which is the allowance for a semi active life. and I eat them, I just don't get time until late to eat them...but your right, I just have to make time to put some food in my mouth...I will definatly try what you said...thank you so much for the suggestions, they are more appreciated than you will ever know.
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Believe it or not, it's really not that bad to eat at night, as long as you're still within your calories and you're eating the healthier options. It's okay to have healthy snacks at night, though of course you'd want to try to avoid things like ice cream or pasta, because of blood sugar spikes and such, and you don't want to be going to sleep with heavy food in your stomach.

Small healthy snacks are usually okay; I eat a small amount every hour and a half to two hours all day until I go to bed around 1 am, and it doesn't hinder my weight loss at all. I think the key is just trying to keep it balance. Try to find a way to get that food in you during the day so it's not ALL at night. Maybe you could pack some healthy granola bars or nuts for work, with a quick wrap for lunch, that way you know exactly what you're eating, instead of having to go get something. You can always take that walk anyway, just to walk and have a relaxing breather, sounds like you need it. :tongue:

Also, I'd say drink as much water as you can, though it doesn't sound like you have a whole lot of time to be peeing every ten minutes like I do.:laugh: Watch your sodium too, that can be a killer. And maybe you should put your activity level up? Even though it's not heavy lifting, it definitely sounds like you're active, and you want to make sure you're getting enough.