HRM - how does it work out your 'zone'

Options
So i have a polar ft4 and it tells me my zone is between 125 and 163. What does this mean? And what would happen if i went over 163? because it happened today when i was biking

Replies

• CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too...
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's you zone to stay in based on your age and weight, it usually has 60-80 percent of your target heart rate. Going over every work out for a bit will not hurt you. But saying in that rate too long will not help you. You should aim for your 80%. I go over for abt 5 minutes a time then slow down to keep it in the 60-80 range. I burn more calories when I go over. But check with your doctor for what you should actually be doing. You don't want to push your heart to fast or hard for too long.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If it's just calculating it based on your age, gender, weight, etc, it's not very accurate. Honeslty, the only way to really know your zones is to undergo physiological testing. That being said, you can get an idea of what your max heart rate is (and then sorta calculate zones) by pushing yourself and doing whatever activity it is you do as hard/fast as you can, until you feel you just can't go anymore, feel physically ill (runners some times vomit). Then add a few beats per minute and that is ROUGHLY your max. Obviously, you can't ever reach your max. Again, this is not accurate but it's more accurate than what your watch calculates on its own.

the higest heart rate I've reached during a race was 196 bpm, then I puked and thought I was going to die. I calculate my max to be 206 and I let Garmin calculate my zones (I don't really train by zones).

All that said, heart rate used during training can be tricky and I don't train using heart rate. I go by effort. Some days it takes more effort (and thus higher heart rate) than other days to perform the same activity. HTh!
  • Whatnow50
    Whatnow50 Posts: 93
    Options
    This is what I refer to, from the American Heart Association. Plus I go by how much I sweat, can I hold a conversation still, and I just got a HRM to see where my HR is really at while exercising. All good guidelines for me right now.

:heart: How do I calculate my heart rate? - To calculate your target training heart rate, you need to know your resting heart rate. Resting heart rate is the number of times your heart beats per minute when it's at rest. The best time to find your resting heart rate is in the morning after a good night's sleep and before you get out of bed. The average resting heart rate is 60-80 beats per minute. However, for people who are physically fit, it's generally lower. Also, resting heart rate usually rises with age.

:heart: How much do I need to exert myself? - Once you know your resting heart rate, you can then determine your target training heart rate. Target heart rates let you measure your initial fitness level and monitor your progress in a fitness program. You do this by measuring your pulse periodically as you exercise and staying within 50 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This range is called your target heart rate.

The table below shows estimated target heart rates for different ages. Look for the age category closest to yours, then read across to find your target heart rate. Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. The figures below are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

Age………Target HR Zone, 50-85%...............Average Maximum Heart Rate, 100%
    20 years….100-170 beats per minute………….200 beats per minute
    25 years…..98-166 beats per minute…………..195 beats per minute
    30 years …..95-162 beats per minute………….190 beats per minute
    35 years …..93-157 beats per minute………….185 beats per minute
    40 years …..90-153 beats per minute………….180 beats per minute
    45 years …..88-149 beats per minute………….175 beats per minute
    50 years …..85-145 beats per minute………….170 beats per minute
    55 years …..83-140 beats per minute………….165 beats per minute
    60 years …..80-136 beats per minute……….....160 beats per minute
    65 years …..78-132 beats per minute…….……155 beats per minute
    70 years …..75-128 beats per minute………….150 beats per minute

Important Note: A few high blood pressure medications lower the maximum heart rate and thus the target zone rate. If you're taking such medicine, call your physician to find out if you need to use a lower target heart rate.

:heart: If I'm just getting started, how should I pace myself? - Remember, pacing is important
    It's important to pace yourself properly when exercising. If you're just starting a program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (85 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.

:heart: A simpler intensity test - If you don't want to take your pulse while exercising, try using a "conversational pace" to monitor your efforts during moderate activities like walking. It works like this:
    •If you can talk and walk at the same time, you aren't working too hard.
    •If you can sing and maintain your level of effort, you're probably not working hard enough.
    •If you get out of breath quickly, you're probably working too hard, especially if you have to stop and catch your breath.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Again, sweat is not directly proportional to effort, heart rate or calorie burn. Common misconception sadly perpetuated by the makers of those plastic suits people wear the gym.