Swimming?

Options
McFrench
McFrench Posts: 205 Member
Hi MFP-ers.

I love to swim, love to be in the water, kinda wish I was a fish. I teach prenatal water aerobics at my gym.

I can swim from one end of the pool to the other, but I sort of look like I am drowning. I am pretty sure at any moment, the lifeguard will jump in and pull me out. I took swim lessons when I was a kid, I could spend all day in the deep end, treading water and doggy paddling, but I am not sure that is allowed in a triathalon?

Now that I am conquering my fear of jogging, I feel like I could someday do a sprint triathalon, if I could get my swimming in line.

Anyone know of a website or somewhere I could get tips on re-learning to swim? I am considering taking lessons with the 6 year olds at my gym....my son is only 18 months, so it will be awhile before I can take him and mooch off his lessons. The 6 month-3 year old class just dances and splashes in the water. I am already pretty exceptional at that.

Replies

• babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The 6 month-3 year old class just dances and splashes in the water. I am already pretty exceptional at that.
    Ha!
    No advice for you, I'm a terrible swimmer too. Just also wanted to say congrats on taking these great steps towards a triathlon.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    look into private lessons. Most YMCAs and such will offer private lessons as an option too.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    i looked into this several years ago. at the time we belonged to the YMCA. they had a class for people getting back into in and wanting to work on form. i ended up not doing it due to my work schedule but it sounded interesting. maybe where you do the water aerobics they could help you out. good luck.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am a swim instructor and take it from me...you are not alone. A huge part of my private lesson business is adults that aren't afraid of the water but never really got the hang of the strokes. There are also lots of adult swim classes....one of the pools I work at has beginner adult classes all the way on up to stroke refinement classes. I would say find an adult class and then if you click with the instructor then hire them to teach private lessons after the group lessons are done.

Good luck!

Leslie
  • rahall14
    rahall14 Posts: 10
    Options
    Also there are sometimes swim clubs/teams for "masters" (read 18 and up) that will run you through a coached workout and offer guidance on form and strokes, so it may be worth seeing if you have one of those in your area.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same thing!!! I am a pretty good swimmer in that I can get across the pool, but not sure how it looks. I have started swimming laps just to build up my endurance. I have googled around and found some good videos on stroke, flip turns, etc. I am signed up for a sprint triathlon on September 18!!!! So I have to get moving!!!! 300 yard swim, 11 mile bike, 5K run!!!

My kids (age 6 and 2) are signed up for swim classes on Thursday nights, so I'm hoping I can swim laps during that time while my hubby goes in the water with the 2 year old - a family swimming affair! There are also adult classes here too. I am going to try to learn to flip turn on my own and if that doesn't work I might see about hiring an instructor for just a one-on-one class to get me up to speed.