George Foreman Grill?

Options
aims78
aims78 Posts: 75 Member
Hello Folks! I have been debating on getting a George Foreman Grill for my new place and I would like to know everyone's thoughts on it. Is it worth the money? Does it actually work? Etc. Thanks Everyone!!!

Replies

• Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I lve mine and I have had it for over 10 years. It still works great! I definitely think it is worth the money because you can do so much with it. We mostly use it for chicken and sometimes burgers. I suggest that if you make burgers on it to use at least 85/15 because the grill cooks the fat off, so if there is hardly any to begin with, it will be very dry and not yummy.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine! I can see all the fat dripping off the food as it cooks, easy to clean, easy to use, healthy, plus plus plus! I say go for it.
    :flowerforyou:
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    we have one with the grill plates that remove for easier cleaning. really like it a lot!!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love my Foreman. My only advice is to pay extra and get one that the grill plates are removable. It makes cleaning so much easier and is 100% worth it.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love mine! you can cook so much on them and i always find it so surprising how much fat comes off some foods. I just hate cleaning them , but u can get some with detachable plates so u can just put them in the dishwasher. definatly worth buying

Heidi
  • CodyRSweet
    CodyRSweet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Get one! I use mine every day at least once, sometimes twice!
  • rosieraven
    rosieraven Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the George Foreman BBQ Grill, and I'm really not that fond of it. Yes, it has a grease catcher, but the grease doesn't all run to it. A lot of the grease just sits there and the food soaks in it, it's not appetizing and not really that great for you. Definitely get the countertop grill; it's set at an angle so you won't have that problem.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I use mine alot -- particularly for chicken, fish, and hamburgers. I will use mine about 4-5 times / week.

I have an old, smaller version, but am thinking of upgrading to the one that has removable plates and possibly a temperature control. The older versions are pretty easy to clean, but there is no temp control and often cooks a little faster than what I'd like for certain items.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have had a small one moved to a bigger one then got the one with a griddle on one side and foreman on the other LOVE LOVE LOVE it
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Love it, love it, love it!! Got it as a birthday present back in February - barely used anything else to cook with since! Definitely get one with removeable plates though, much easier for cleaning.

For meats (assuming you're a meat-eater!) - I find marinading in a little oil/balsamic vinegar helps avoid it drying out while cooking. I usually cook vegetables underneath the meat as well.

I've even done fruit on there - hot pineapple for dessert, plums with pork (works really well!).
  • egoheen
    egoheen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are two things that I bought that are amazing for my kitchen - the toaster oven and the GF Grill. I use both regularly. I love fish and I typically will grill fish several times a week. I'm also grilling most of my fresh veggies if I'm not buying frozen/steamed.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    Yes! I LOVE mine!!!

It is basically the same as the electric outdoor grill. But, last evening it was FRIGGING HOT outside, so I wanted to do the grill experience for the holiday weekend without looking as if I grilled myself lol! I am a redhead and burn very easily :p

I love that instead of a skillet, the grease runs off into the drip tray. So, like a grill where it drains into a drip cup, it is a great appliance to have for frequent use. I use it often for burgers as well as pork chops. Hy-vee sells thin cut pork chops in a $10 package which has 10-12 chops in it (more when it is "grill" occasions like the 4th or football games-"bonus pack" where you get 12 instead of 10). They have a very small stip of fat on one side, easily cut off.

I cook up sometimes multiple packages and then put them in ziplocks and freeze them. They are very small portions, between 1 and 4 ounces. I love having the cooked ones in my freezer to make quick individual meals. I do the same with my lean beef and hamburgers. Add a Wonder brand 80 calorie wheat bun and your toppings, and you have a pretty calorie conscious burger.

If you are serious about being healthy, I would invest in it. They *can* be sort of a pain to clean at times, I wish my plates came out. If I were to buy another, I would get the model where the grill plates were removable for easier cleaning. I will say it is easier to clean right after use than a day or two later.

Hope this helps.
    Sarah
  • acinomsteelfox
    Options
    I have one and used it for the first time last night. I grilled chicken and veggies and it was delicious and healthy. Defiantly get one with removable plates though.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    Note for the comment about the lean burgers getting dry*****

I season and intentionally UNDER cook my 93% burgers. I then just stick them in the microwave for a min or so to finish. They are not dry at all. Also, since I tend to freeze and reheat leftovers on nights I cook them, undercooking some allows for reheating without the dryness.

Sarah
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love a George Foreman grill, and I would suggest getting one.
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the larger countertop one with detachable plates (I think usually sells for $80) I've really only cooked chicken breasts on mine - but I LOVE IT!! There is always fat coming off of the chicken , which I love seeing because - yuck! I could've ate that - and I would DEF recommend getting the removable plates - super easy to clean up - if it doesn't have the plates then its kind of awkward to clean.
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the feedback, it was definitely helpful! I will be getting one soon then, much appreciated!
  • wetta65
    wetta65 Posts: 2
    Options
    I love my George Foreman Grill! One suggestion is to spend the money and get the one where the plates come off for you to clean..The first grill I had didn't have that option and cleaning it was not very easy, which made me not want to use it... I lived in Town House for a while where outside grilling was unallowed, and the George Foreman Grill saved me! I made everything on it! Good Luck!!