Bottled Water Has Contaminants Too, Study Finds

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
I read this on Yahoo this morning and thought I'd share. It's a shame we fork out so much money when all we are really buying most of the time is bottled tap water.

By JEFF DONN, AP National Writer
Wed Oct 15, 12:17 AM ET

Tests on leading brands of bottled water turned up a variety of contaminants often found in tap water, according to a study released Wednesday by an environmental advocacy group.

The findings challenge the popular impression — and marketing pitch — that bottled water is purer than tap water, the researchers say.

However, all the brands met federal health standards for drinking water. Two violated a California state standard, the study said.

An industry group branded the findings "alarmist." Joe Doss, president of the International Bottled Water Association, said the study is based on the faulty premise that a contaminant is a health concern "even if it does not exceed the established regulatory limit or no standard has been set."

The study's lab tests on 10 brands of bottled water detected 38 chemicals including bacteria, caffeine, the pain reliever acetaminophen, fertilizer, solvents, plastic-making chemicals and the radioactive element strontium. Though some probably came from tap water that some companies use for their bottled water, other contaminants probably leached from plastic bottles, the researchers said.

"In some cases, it appears bottled water is no less polluted than tap water and, at 1,900 times the cost, consumers should expect better," said Jane Houlihan, an environmental engineer who co-authored the study.

The two-year study was done by the Washington-based Environmental Working Group, an organization founded by scientists that advocates stricter regulation. It found the contaminants in bottled water purchased in nine states and Washington, D.C.

Researchers tested one batch for each of 10 brands. Eight did not have contaminants high enough to warrant further testing. But two brands did, so more tests were done and those revealed chlorine byproducts above California's standard, the group reported. The researchers identified those two brands as Sam's Choice sold by Wal-Mart and Acadia of Giant Food supermarkets.

In the Wal-Mart and Giant Food bottled water, the highest concentration of chlorine byproducts, known as trihalomethanes, was over 35 parts per billion. California's limit is 10 parts per billion or less, and the industry's International Bottled Water Association makes 10 its voluntary guideline. The federal limit is 80.

Wal-Mart said its own studies did not turn up illegal levels of contaminants. Giant Food officials released a statement asserting that Acadia meets all regulatory standards. Acadia is sold in the mid-Atlantic states, so it isn't held to California's standard. In most places, bottled water must meet roughly the same federal standards as tap water.

The researchers also said the Wal-Mart brand was five times California's limit for one particular chlorine byproduct, bromodichloromethane. The environmental group wants Wal-Mart to label its bottles in California with a warning because the chlorine-based contaminants have been linked with cancer. It has filed a notice of intent to sue.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Shannon Frederick said the company was "puzzled" by the findings because testing by suppliers and another lab had detected no "reportable amounts" of such contaminants. She said Wal-Mart would investigate further but defended the quality of its bottled water.

The researchers recommend that people worried about water contaminants drink tap water with a carbon filter.

___

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    I read this on Yahoo this morning and thought I'd share. It's a shame we fork out so much money when all we are really buying most of the time is bottled tap water.

By JEFF DONN, AP National Writer
    Wed Oct 15, 12:17 AM ET

Tests on leading brands of bottled water turned up a variety of contaminants often found in tap water, according to a study released Wednesday by an environmental advocacy group.

The findings challenge the popular impression — and marketing pitch — that bottled water is purer than tap water, the researchers say.

However, all the brands met federal health standards for drinking water. Two violated a California state standard, the study said.

An industry group branded the findings "alarmist." Joe Doss, president of the International Bottled Water Association, said the study is based on the faulty premise that a contaminant is a health concern "even if it does not exceed the established regulatory limit or no standard has been set."

The study's lab tests on 10 brands of bottled water detected 38 chemicals including bacteria, caffeine, the pain reliever acetaminophen, fertilizer, solvents, plastic-making chemicals and the radioactive element strontium. Though some probably came from tap water that some companies use for their bottled water, other contaminants probably leached from plastic bottles, the researchers said.

"In some cases, it appears bottled water is no less polluted than tap water and, at 1,900 times the cost, consumers should expect better," said Jane Houlihan, an environmental engineer who co-authored the study.

The two-year study was done by the Washington-based Environmental Working Group, an organization founded by scientists that advocates stricter regulation. It found the contaminants in bottled water purchased in nine states and Washington, D.C.

Researchers tested one batch for each of 10 brands. Eight did not have contaminants high enough to warrant further testing. But two brands did, so more tests were done and those revealed chlorine byproducts above California's standard, the group reported. The researchers identified those two brands as Sam's Choice sold by Wal-Mart and Acadia of Giant Food supermarkets.

In the Wal-Mart and Giant Food bottled water, the highest concentration of chlorine byproducts, known as trihalomethanes, was over 35 parts per billion. California's limit is 10 parts per billion or less, and the industry's International Bottled Water Association makes 10 its voluntary guideline. The federal limit is 80.

Wal-Mart said its own studies did not turn up illegal levels of contaminants. Giant Food officials released a statement asserting that Acadia meets all regulatory standards. Acadia is sold in the mid-Atlantic states, so it isn't held to California's standard. In most places, bottled water must meet roughly the same federal standards as tap water.

The researchers also said the Wal-Mart brand was five times California's limit for one particular chlorine byproduct, bromodichloromethane. The environmental group wants Wal-Mart to label its bottles in California with a warning because the chlorine-based contaminants have been linked with cancer. It has filed a notice of intent to sue.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Shannon Frederick said the company was "puzzled" by the findings because testing by suppliers and another lab had detected no "reportable amounts" of such contaminants. She said Wal-Mart would investigate further but defended the quality of its bottled water.

The researchers recommend that people worried about water contaminants drink tap water with a carbon filter.

___
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just read that on Yahoo 2 minutes ago and was about to post this too, lol. Isn't that disgusting? And the worst part is that you can't even taste it!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I saw this when I brought up the internet and WOW. I almost always drink tap water however, I have been knowen to buy the wal-mart brand because its so much cheaper. I just can't believe this. :noway:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that is why I have 1 bottle a day, and I fill it with tap water when empty.

My mom used to say you had to eat a peck o dirt before ye died. I think she was trying to say, the water aint gonna kill ya, but lack of it will!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    It just makes me gag though when I think about what is in tap water. Hormones, drugs, heavy metals.....:sick:

We use a Brita water purifier and/or buy spring water. When consumers shell out so much money on purified tap water that is supposed to be cleaner than tap water.....and it's NOT....that, to me, isn't right.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Last year there was a big thing going on, because a couple of the top waters were basically tap water. One was a Pepsi product the other Coke. And they were saying then that they were going to start labeling the bottles with something stating it was just tap water.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    It just makes me gag though when I think about what is in tap water. Hormones, drugs, heavy metals.....:sick:

We use a Brita water purifier and/or buy spring water. When consumers shell out so much money on purified tap water that is supposed to be cleaner than tap water.....and it's NOT....that, to me, isn't right.

I love when they stay "spring water" I sure wouldn't drink out of any springs around here. They are either by a field and would have chemical run off from the field, or down hill from a feed yard.
  • Janie0001
    Janie0001 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just read this and it scares me to death. I buy the wal-mart water for my children to take to school and buy the kool aid packs for them to add to the water. We will be looking into another alternative for that. Thanks for the post
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well I live in Washington DC and I'm not surprised that the bottles bought here have contamination. DC water is the dirtiest in the country. I have a brita pitcher because the tap water makes me sick here.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    We bought a filtered pitcher and a couple of reusable water bottles. We spent about $50 and it's been great. We save money, we have clean water, and we're not throwing plastic bottles into landfills. If you haven't already, I would look into something like that. We particularly like Kleen Kanteens.
  • SoupNazi
    Options

I love when they stay "spring water" I sure wouldn't drink out of any springs around here. They are either by a field and would have chemical run off from the field, or down hill from a feed yard.

Yep...you have to pay attention to where the springs are too. I usually only buy Fiji water.

Good point Anna.:happy:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    I just read this and it scares me to death. I buy the wal-mart water for my children to take to school and buy the kool aid packs for them to add to the water. We will be looking into another alternative for that. Thanks for the post

You are very welcome.:flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options

:angry:

Greedy greedy greedy people that's what this world's all about right now. Crap! I could have gotten some bottles, filled em with tap water, sold em for half the price, and could be livin it up right now.:drinker: But that's just not cool at all...:angry: Some people are just heartless...don't care about anyone but themselves :cry: It's sad.:cry:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

Greedy greedy greedy people that's what this world's all about right now. Crap! I could have gotten some bottles, filled em with tap water, sold em for half the price, and could be livin it up right now.:drinker: But that's just not cool at all...:angry: Some people are just heartless...don't care about anyone but themselves :cry: It's sad.:cry:

Exactly! :angry:

Amen sister!!
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Sounds like China went into the bottled water business. :mad:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

Melamine anyone???:drinker:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options

:laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I use a Brita filter, but have doubts that it does much to clean the tap water.
    If "filtered bottled water" is nothing more than tap water, then why should I believe that my Brita filter actually filters out anything harmful?
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use one of those pur faucet mount 3 stage filters it was about 20$ at target and you flip the thing down to get a drink and then back up to do dishes or get water you are going to boil for food, it has been worth it. The filter has lasted us a lot longer than I expected too.