UK pals - Bread advice

Options
MsEmmy
MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
I waste loads of my lunchtime cals on bread at the moment, particularly wraps, and want to find something lower calorie but that isn't full of rubbish. I'm good at keeping the fillings of my sandwiches within reason - can anyone recommend lower cal bread that I can make my lunch with?

Cheers :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    weightwatchers (warburtons) malted danish or grained bread, its delicious and low in calories.
  • Rivah67
    Rivah67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i like hovis nibble brown bread 49 calories a slice
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    nibble bread as well :) altho ive never got it
    the problem i find with weight watchers bread is like its half the size of normal bread. so its not technically lower in calories.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I made a topic on here regarding healthier wrap alternatives in the UK. Sainsburys sell Discovery Wholemeal wraps at 109 calories per wrap.

Theres also Weight watchers bread, around 45 calories per slice
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    warburtons do a sandwich thin roll.100 calories I think.
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like the Nimble, not as see through as the Weight Watchers bread. I did buy Weight Watchers Pitta Breads though and they were nice, not sure how much I saved in the calorie department.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I made a topic on here regarding healthier wrap alternatives in the UK. Sainsburys sell Discovery Wholemeal wraps at 109 calories per wrap.

That's handy to know :-) I bought some wraps from Tesco the other day but couldn't find any wholemeal ones so wasn't sure if you could get them. The white ones I got are 130 calories so it's only saving 21 calories, but that's still 21 calories less being eaten :-)
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Weight Watchers do a low cal tortilla for wraps, it's 106 cals per tortilla.
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    My mate works in the warburtons factory, and the weight watchers bread they make is exactly the same as their normal bread expect the size. I like the Warburtons Thins and their Square Wraps.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It's not very low calorie so I don't have too much of it but Burgen Soya and Linseed bread is lovely and nutricious - amazing for sandwiches :) 112 cals a slice tho.
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bread is a grain food so in fact is very good for you, as long as you choose those made without white flour. (The ingredient list should list Whole Wheat flour (or other grain), not enriched wheat flour, which will not be whole grain. Check the calories, and the ingredients, they can vary alot, but a good grain bread is satisfying too and has fiber that the reduced calorie bread may lack. Good luck with your decisions, FG
  • plummersmate
    Options
    Have you considered taking a lunch box filled with salad and a protein food like chicken, tuna, eggs etc. If vegetarian chick pease are a good source of protein. That way you reduce your carb intake on a couple of days in favour of a fibre/protein mix. These will also keep you fuller for longer than bread.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    weightwatchers (warburtons) malted danish or grained bread, its delicious and low in calories.

This is very tasty! Also Mission Deli make Mini wraps at under 100 cals - which I actually find fills me up!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    I do sometimes eat a salad for lunch but I do miss bread if I don't have it. Probably just years of thinking it's not a real lunch if it's not a butty :laugh: :tongue:
  • Tarah40
    Tarah40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    May sound a bit strange but I sometimes use romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread or a wrap. They're a good shape and size for filling and wrapping and are much lower in carbs and calories.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    May sound a bit strange but I sometimes use romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread or a wrap. They're a good shape and size for filling and wrapping and are much lower in carbs and calories.

I've been doing this with tacos, using the lettuce leaves as a taco shell instead of an actual taco shell.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal Pitta's are good, one pitta is 135 cals and I tend to fill it with a load of salad and a slice of ham and it doesn't come to more than 200 cals :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    generally I've found with bread, the lower the calories the lower the nutritional value. I would much rather have a good multigrain bread at 120 calories a slice than white bread at 60 calories a slice.

The white bread offers nothing nutritionally other than fast carbs
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread using a breadmaker. I don't think it is particularly low calorie, but I know what is going into it. I just don't eat too much! So many of the shop bought breads have bad fats in them.