Should I feel bad?

The guy who made my exercise program at the gym (for £10 over the basic induction I figured it would be worth it given I had no clue what I was doing) told me off today because I used a higher set of weights and did some running instead of walking.
He went on about getting used to exercise and risk of injury and stuff. Ok I get that... but I am... 25, I'm not some old woman, I can handle a little bit of exercise, I am getting kind of bored of doing things at the same intensity every time I go (3 times a week) and I wanted to try something more.

But I dunno, I feel all unhappy now because I overreact to dissaproval. Do you think its such a big deal? Is it really that dangerous? I don't have any heart problems or other health problems I know about, I don't get why after a couple of weeks I can't increase stuff, but realistically not much of an amount :/
I know what it feels like if I am exceeding my capacity and I hate pain and avoid it constantly, I wasn't being masochistic or anything.

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    I would open up your communication with your trainer. Let him/her know that you are sensitive to disapproval (I am too). Also, be clear that you want to be pushed more/challenged more. Make sure you trainer has clearly explained WHY he/she is having you do things a certain way. If your trainer doesn't deliver, time to find a new one if you're not happy.
  • str0nger
    str0nger Posts: 36 Member
    Don't feel bad!!!
    I wouldn't, because honestly if you keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results... you just stay the same.
    I ready a study one (don't quote me on this) that if you don't mix up your exersice routine every three weeks or so, they you platue and don't get any better.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    i would agree with both the last comments, u know what ur body can handle nore than a trainer. Ur paying him 2 train u so u should feel like u have had a good work out for it. :0)
  • truchamp06
    truchamp06 Posts: 78 Member
    I was the same way as you. The thing is you have to get your body used to working out, you may get bored, you are human. I am 23, I am 6 ft tall, and weigh 290. I feel great bc ive lost 15 pounds. I wanna run, im young, i dont have problems you know? My body has gotten accustom to handling me walking and being over 300 lbs. However, when I add jumping and running, for however amount of time it maybe it causes added pressure to my lower body, and can have the opportunity to cause injury. Trust me... I know. I broke my ankle last yr bc i decided to go running for an extended period of time and my leg gave out. It takes time you know? As for the weights, same thing, if you are not used to weight lifts -- stick to a routine for at least 4 wks. Thats just my advice hope it helps.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    I agree that you should have better communication with your trainer, explain how your feeling about wanting to work harder and reacting to disapproval.
    But also, you must be careful not to push yourself tooooooo hard. I did, and ended up with a sprained groin and seriously uncontrolled asthma, was out of the game totally for about a month! Not good! So then I eased myself into it more and now i can go 5-6/7 days a week and can breathe and push myself. Because my body can now handle it.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    I wouldn't take it so personally. He is probably just doing his job. You paid him for his expertise on training. Slowly increasing the intensity of training is usually strongly recommended.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    I've been working towards my fitness certification and there is a thing called the Training Effect where a person thinks they can handle more than they actually can and usually by the 3rd or 4th session they crash and give up.

But it sounds to me like maybe your trainer hasn't accurately assessed your fitness level. You do need to work your weight up in intensity but the starting point is different for everybody so maybe open up some communication with your trainer about how you are feeling and maybe the two of you can reassess where you should be starting from.