question for those who work desk jobs

Options
hey all,

so I've been working at this job for about 2 months, and I like it, but its mainly me sitting in front of a computer for most of the day. I am really slacking on the exercise, and I was wondering if any of you out there who are in the same position have some suggestions?

I get an hour lunch so I try to take a 30 minute walk at least 3 times a week during lunch, and I am up and down some stairs several times a day ( I work in mall management, so I do get a chance to go around the mall a bit, but its a small mall.)

help!

Replies

• blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hey all,

so I've been working at this job for about 2 months, and I like it, but its mainly me sitting in front of a computer for most of the day. I am really slacking on the exercise, and I was wondering if any of you out there who are in the same position have some suggestions?

I get an hour lunch so I try to take a 30 minute walk at least 3 times a week during lunch, and I am up and down some stairs several times a day ( I work in mall management, so I do get a chance to go around the mall a bit, but its a small mall.)

help!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Can you go to the gym or do a work out before work? I work out in the am before work and then while I am at work I try to go up and down stairs as much as possible.

If you can get a big exercise ball and use it at your desk, sit on that instead of your chair. It will help your posture and strenghten your core muscles.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    They say 3 ten minute 'workouts' are as good as one 30 minute block, so it sounds like you have more opps than you think you do. It takes a little creativity.

Small handweights (3-5 lbs) at your desk? Take the 3 lb ones with you during that walk you're planning, and you'll be surprised how high you can get your heart rate.

I work 9-5:30 at a hospital, and I work out directly after work, but I'm overjoyed if I get to walk anywhere in the hospital on an errand.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Ugh, i so know what you mean!!!

I too try to get in a workout before work if possible or directly after work, no excuses. It's so draining to sit at a computer all day!!

You might try some hand weights, try standing while on the phone, try moving around and walking to the person you have to speak to instead of paging them, emailing them, etc.

:flowerforyou:
    You can do it!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't really have any suggestions. But I can tell you that my day is usually not over until 6:30/7:00 because I go straight to the gym after work. It's part of my daily routine...err...well, I've been slacking in that area the past two weeks. I get off at 4:30 and made sure I got a gym close to here. I know myself well enough to know that if I were to go home first, there's no way I'm going back out to exercise.

Some say you can do exercises right in your office like little strength training kind of stuff, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that around here. There are people from the building that walk the parking lots where I work. But I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that either. I sweat way too much, and who wants a smelly, sweaty employee? lol

This is just what works for me and my family and lifestyle. If my family sees me come home before 6:30, they're wondering what happened.
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    I have a desk job as well...here is a few things i do while at my desk:

i grab my desk and pull myself forward and backward-pushing and pulling.

i fake sitting down(squats)-to work my butt

when i am at the copy machine or fax machine, i do leg lifts, keeping your leg straight and hips forward, lift and lower your leg backwards-also works the butt

i push up off my chair using my arms

if you have a swivel chair, sit on the edge and twist your lower half of your body, keeping your upper still and only use your stomach to twist-great ab workout.

I also do lunges to and from the fax/copy machine.
  • Sammy12345
    Sammy12345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also sit in front of a computer every day. I try to walk everywhere. I walk to another office to talk to someone instead of email or phone. Take the stairs to the ladies room instead of using the elevator. Every couple of hours I will take a stroll around the office. Just small things to help keep me moving throught the day.
  • Javancub
    Options
    Also, when you go to the bathroom, instead of sitting on the toilet, squat and dont allow your butt to touch-great for thighs and butt! :bigsmile:
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Great question. I find it next to impossible to do anything while at work. Therefore I try to workout every morning before work. A workout in the am makes you more alert for the day and you just feel better. I envy those who find ways to exercise at work. I do have to admit with the amount of water I have been drinking I would have the best butt and thighs in the county if I squatted everytime I went to the restroom.

:drinker: Heres to us being the buffest coworkers.
  • Javancub
    Options
    :drinker: Heres to us being the buffest coworkers.

:drinker:
  • blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Javancub
    Options
    thanks everyone!

No prob, happy to help :happy:
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

when i am at the copy machine or fax machine, i do leg lifts, keeping your leg straight and hips forward, lift and lower your leg backwards-also works the butt

if you have a swivel chair, sit on the edge and twist your lower half of your body, keeping your upper still and only use your stomach to twist-great ab workout.

Do people look at you funny when they see you lunging to the fax/copy machine?? :laugh: I work in a VERY small office, so my co-workers would be laughing at me all day, plus giving me a hard time about it, I'm sure!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I would try to find something to do a few evenings a week. Maybe join a gym.
  • Javancub
    Options

Do people look at you funny when they see you lunging to the fax/copy machine?? :laugh: I work in a VERY small office, so my co-workers would be laughing at me all day, plus giving me a hard time about it, I'm sure!

Actually yes, they do. :laugh: They give me a strange look like what the #@!$ are you doing?! :noway: I work in a small office of only 12 people. But i dont care, i gotta get it in there some how. While they all complain about being fluffy, and how they are out of shape, i'm doing something about it. :bigsmile: I may look funny doing it, but i'll soon have the best toned arms in the office.:bigsmile:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

Actually yes, they do. :laugh: They give me a strange look like what the #@!$ are you doing?! :noway: I work in a small office of only 12 people. But i dont care, i gotta get it in there some how. While they all complain about being fluffy, and how they are out of shape, i'm doing something about it. :bigsmile: I may look funny doing it, but i'll soon have the best toned arms in the office.:bigsmile:

EXACTLY!!

I go through the same thing! When I'm out walking in my neighborhood, I use my hand weights to add resistance and tone my arms, and apparently, I'm well known. So one day, I'm doing my thing and I spy someone at the convenience store pointing at me and mimicking me with the arms going hut-one-hut-two, and I'm thinking "Yea, you keep making fun of me.... You'll still be a million pounds overweight a year from now, 'n I'll be skinny."
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job al my life.
    I used to go to the gym, but work always get in a way, so I switched to DVDs and knock my WO in the morning, mainly.
    If I don't workout I can't last thru the day.

I like to relax and switch my mind during lunch, so I go for a walk, but it is just to stretch my legs a bit.
    I try to do a little streches - side bends, quad stretches, shoulder and tri stretches,warrior pose, forward bends - when I go to ladie's room and noone is around.
    I make sure I drink a lot so I must get up and walk to the b'room at least once in 2 hours....

That's all my tricks. :wink:

hope it helps!
  • AnnaBanana13
    Options

• AnnaBanana13
    Options
    sorry new at this! But what great ideas...thank you so much! I can hardly wait to try them...first thing in the morning!
  • Javancub
    Options

EXACTLY!!

I go through the same thing! When I'm out walking in my neighborhood, I use my hand weights to add resistance and tone my arms, and apparently, I'm well known. So one day, I'm doing my thing and I spy someone at the convenience store pointing at me and mimicking me with the arms going hut-one-hut-two, and I'm thinking "Yea, you keep making fun of me.... You'll still be a million pounds overweight a year from now, 'n I'll be skinny."

Lol, thats what i say when i'm at work. I wear ankle weights sometimes so while i'm waiting at the fax/caopy machine, i lift my calves to work my hamstring...And as usual, they look at me like i'm a weirdo. I just tell them i have ankle weights on...and why i'm doing what i was doing. I asked about having my exercise ball as a chair, but no, its a safety issue.:cry: