logging cycling?

Options
Hi,
I've been doing cycling on my stationary bike at home and I'm never sure what to enter it as on here in terms of effort. I did between 80 and 90 rpm for the majority of the time I was on the bike, would you say this was low, moderate, vigorous or very vigorous?

Thanks in advance for your help

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I would log the intensity based on perceived exertion - do you feel like you are challenged? What is vigorous for one person might be low intensity for another. Do you monitor your heart rate?
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    I would underestimate. What I perceive to be a vigorous effort (14-16 mph) is closer to moderate (12-14 mph) when you take a heart rate monitor reading and compare it to the burn given by MFP.

Although stationary bike is a bigger effort than riding on the road, the comparitive burn rates seem way high.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your MPH. I think moderate intensity is 12-14 MPH and the low and vigorous intensities have their own, but I can't remember what they are. That is usually what I go by since I also wasn't sure. If you go up and down a lot (intervals, hills, etc.) then I would maybe just use moderate intensity as a good guess (that is what I also do).
  • takethepieces
    Options
    I think my bike is k per hour - it just says speed. It's normally at around 30:00, which is apparently around 18mph. I do level 4 on my bike in terms of resistance but I don't know how that compares to other bikes. It gives cals but it says it's for an average height, average weight woman and that came up as 20 cals less than when I entered it on here at moderate intensity. I think I might just log at moderate to be safe.