MFP Book Club- November Book Selection

Options
Welcome one and all to MFP's Book Club!

November's book will be "The Alchemist " by Paulo Coelho
Chosen by MFP member: mollyk
Read about MollyK at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/mollyk

Info on the book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=DVbEiwwJcnkC&dq=the+alchemist+by+paulo+coelho+summary&pg=PP1&ots=-o-Jb0IYNQ&source=bn&sig=TjZUqwdNeFr3N0SBYcB4pdrlrOk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alchemist_(novel)

On November 5th, a thread will be posted to allow discussion of the book.

HAPPY READING!!

MFP BOOK CLUB INFO:
Here's the Clif notes:
We’ll read one book a month, selected by a participating member. (This participating member will be chosen by me, on a rotation so everyone has a turn, and notified in advance.) Meeting up in person isn't feasible, so we will make a thread about the book, with the person who made the book selection doing us the honor of kicking off the discussion of the book. Anyone can participate in the discussion (obviously) but in order to be chosen to select a book to read, you will need to have “joined” the book club by emailing me (I’ll keep a master list).

Specifics:
• Member will be notified on the 1st of the month that they have the honor of making our selection for the following month
EXAMPLE: On September 1st, I’ll notify the member to make October’s selection
Member needs to have selection emailed to me as early as possible but no later than the 14th of the month
Please try to make sure selection is widely available
======If not, it will hurt the discussion thread, having fewer readers
======Try to keep your book selections CLEAN… something you'd recommend your mother or grandmother read. This said, I have suggested a book I've never read before, so everyone please be understanding if a selected book isn't 'right up your alley'. The member who selected the book may have not had any idea of the contents.

• Thread will be posted on the 15th of each month announcing the following month’s book selection
EXAMPLE: September 15th, thread will announce October’s reading selection
This time frame is to allow members time to procure their book

• Thread will be opened on 5th day of each month for book discussion
This gives a few days to read and many days left to discuss. I can be easily persuaded otherwise.

• I’ll serve as admin for the group
keeping book club membership
selecting member to choose book each month
posting threads for announcement of book selection and discussion threads
general contact point for any questions or concerns

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Welcome one and all to MFP's Book Club!

November's book will be "The Alchemist " by Paulo Coelho
    Chosen by MFP member: mollyk
    Read about MollyK at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/mollyk

Info on the book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=DVbEiwwJcnkC&dq=the+alchemist+by+paulo+coelho+summary&pg=PP1&ots=-o-Jb0IYNQ&source=bn&sig=TjZUqwdNeFr3N0SBYcB4pdrlrOk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alchemist_(novel)

On November 5th, a thread will be posted to allow discussion of the book.

HAPPY READING!!

MFP BOOK CLUB INFO:
    Here's the Clif notes:
    We’ll read one book a month, selected by a participating member. (This participating member will be chosen by me, on a rotation so everyone has a turn, and notified in advance.) Meeting up in person isn't feasible, so we will make a thread about the book, with the person who made the book selection doing us the honor of kicking off the discussion of the book. Anyone can participate in the discussion (obviously) but in order to be chosen to select a book to read, you will need to have “joined” the book club by emailing me (I’ll keep a master list).

Specifics:
    • Member will be notified on the 1st of the month that they have the honor of making our selection for the following month
    EXAMPLE: On September 1st, I’ll notify the member to make October’s selection
    Member needs to have selection emailed to me as early as possible but no later than the 14th of the month
    Please try to make sure selection is widely available
    ======If not, it will hurt the discussion thread, having fewer readers
    ======Try to keep your book selections CLEAN… something you'd recommend your mother or grandmother read. This said, I have suggested a book I've never read before, so everyone please be understanding if a selected book isn't 'right up your alley'. The member who selected the book may have not had any idea of the contents.

• Thread will be posted on the 15th of each month announcing the following month’s book selection
    EXAMPLE: September 15th, thread will announce October’s reading selection
    This time frame is to allow members time to procure their book

• Thread will be opened on 5th day of each month for book discussion
    This gives a few days to read and many days left to discuss. I can be easily persuaded otherwise.

• I’ll serve as admin for the group
    keeping book club membership
    selecting member to choose book each month
    posting threads for announcement of book selection and discussion threads
    general contact point for any questions or concerns
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :yawn:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :glasses:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :devil:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Okay, who else went in and reserved this at the San Diego Public Library??? I'm number 21 in the Queue.

I think I may have to break down and buy the book.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I ordered it through a book swapping club, where you only pay for shipping ($2-$3 per book).
    www.paperbackswap.com
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Oh, I would love to be in on this one. I have been wanting to read the Alchemist for a long time.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :love:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :heart:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :smooched:
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    Daughter had to read it for summer reading for honors English. Very good book. I always read what the kids bring home. :smile: You all will like it.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Okay, who else went in and reserved this at the San Diego Public Library??? I'm number 21 in the Queue.

I had the same problem! The library cannot keep this book on the shelf :laugh:

So....I went to B&N today and bought it.

Sorry for picking such a "difficult" book - I've been wanting to read this for such a long time as well. I'm going to start it tonight!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

I had the same problem! The library cannot keep this book on the shelf :laugh:

So....I went to B&N today and bought it.

Sorry for picking such a "difficult" book - I've been wanting to read this for such a long time as well. I'm going to start it tonight!!

Don't apologize. I don't mind buying the book. I just thought that one of the other 20 might be a MFP pal.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :huh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Last day I'm bumping this... after today, people will just have to search for it.
    Bumping is exhausting!

soul-jazz-dance-bands-sydney.jpg
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :mad:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :smile: :mad: :love: :embarassed: :smooched: :sad: :bigsmile: :heart: :frown: :ohwell: :angry: :wink: :laugh: :explode: :flowerforyou: :smokin: :drinker: :blushing: :huh: :cry: :devil: :indifferent: :grumble: :happy: :tongue: :noway: :glasses: :sick: :brokenheart: :yawn: