Weights being added in!!

Options
Kelblue1
Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
I just got a gym membership and will be starting to lift weights on Tuesday. Can anyone give me tips on where to start as far as reps and set to go and if i should just use the machines versus free weights. Thanks!!

Replies

• Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would consult with a trainer who you trust. Too many opinions on this. I do upper body one day and lower body the next
    we start with doing the first set of 12, then 10, 8,6,and 12 then an ultimate challenge. That is just what the studio I go to has us do. I start out with easier weights and it gets heavier.
  • jenfitz34
    jenfitz34 Posts: 31
    Options
    Start with 3 or 5 lbs weights and do about three or four sets of ten reps.
    If you still don't feel a bit tired after that,... you need more weight.
    Always start low because its a heck of a lot easier to add more weight than it is to heal from an injury from trying too much at once.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    The gym's here in NZ normally gives you an introductory session when you start, and help with a starting program, weights - I think they need to do that from a health and safety stand point - check with your gym if they have a someone that can spend a bit of time with you to start.....
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Start with 3 or 5 lbs weights and do about three or four sets of ten reps.
    If you still don't feel a bit tired after that,... you need more weight.
    Always start low because its a heck of a lot easier to add more weight than it is to heal from an injury from trying too much at once.

I got a membership to Anytime Fitness & they set you up with a trainer for 1 day to show you how to use all the equipment. He said the same thing.

You can do 10 to 12 reps.