Don't want to lose any more weight

Options
I have surpassed my goal weight I know weight 116 and I'm 5'4". I am happy with this weight but my legs are soo skinny and I have like no butt anymore! But i still don't have a flat and defined stomach. Should I stop doing cardio and only weight train. Right now I am doing a mixture of both. I still haven't changed by setting to maintain because I'm not sure if I need to lose more weight in order to have the stomach I want or what to do. Im just confused. Any suggestion/advice...anyone been in a similar situation? Any and all help is welcome!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You are probably going to have to learn to accept your stomach. I got to my goal a few years ago. My upper body was borderline too skinny and my lower body still had more chub than I liked! Switch to maintenance. Keep up the cardio (good for your heart) and the weights. Maybe add some focus to the abs to try to help them lay flatter.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You probably just store more fat in your stomach than you do in your thighs. I'd suggest eating a little more and increasing exercises that build up your thighs and butt muscles.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'd switch to maintenance mode and keep up your exercising. The exercise will help you tone all over. By eating more, you may add more muscle to even out your look.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Maybe some weightlifting if you don't already? Start working on tone and lean muscle and see what happens. Definitely switch to maintenance if you're happy with the weight you are at..
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Increase calorie intake and start strength training. You'll build more lean muscle, which burns calories on it's own. Heavy weights and low reps will help you get there. And don't worry about the fabled "bulking up" unless you double your calorie intake, take supplements or take steroids. Strength training can still take a long time to develop even 5 pounds of lean muscle (6 months or so). Trust me, you'll burn plenty of calories doing this. You can still do cardio several days per week, but definitely increase the strength training workouts.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have surpassed my goal weight I know weight 116 and I'm 5'4". I am happy with this weight but my legs are soo skinny and I have like no butt anymore! But i still don't have a flat and defined stomach. Should I stop doing cardio and only weight train. Right now I am doing a mixture of both. I still haven't changed by setting to maintain because I'm not sure if I need to lose more weight in order to have the stomach I want or what to do. Im just confused. Any suggestion/advice...anyone been in a similar situation? Any and all help is welcome!

What this means is that you either never had or you lost any muscle mass you have. Despite your low body weight, you are still carrying a high % of body fat. This is called being skinny fat.

Unfortunately, the only think you can do to fix this is to eat around maintenance, reduce cardio, and step up resistance training to build muscle.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    ...... and I have like no butt anymore!

Squats and Deadlifts will solve this problem!!! Don't bother with those silly machines. Do it old-school... with a bar and plates.
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies...very helpful! How long do you suggest I spend at the gym for weight training to see results. 30min, 1hr, 2hrs? how often daily? Do I need to take rest days for my muscles?
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    30 minutes is a good start, 3x a week. If you are doing compound muscle exercises, allow a day of rest between workouts. If you are breaking the workouts into separate body parts, then you don't need to rest as much, just avoid doing the same muscle group 2 days in a row.

Everyone sees results at different speeds.... too many variables - diet, supplements, intensity, genetics, your current physique.... but don't let those things worry you.... you gotta get in there to get it started. :-D